Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UFC Rules and Regulations

I personally just have one pet peeve against MMA. THE F'N NAME!!!

Martial Arts describes ALL fighting arts. This includes boxing, kung fu, muay thai, tkd, etc. They are all martial arts.

So in turn calling it MIXED Martial Arts is redundant and stupid. Who ever named that sport is ignorant. Martial Arts encompasses all of them. That like saying I an going to an Automobile car race. WTF?!?!

I still would not want to go up against any of the pro guys in the ring though. I would get my a$$ handed to me.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    i'm not that familiar with the exact chain of events, so I was just wondering.

something that gets overlooked, I think, is that all of those illegal techniques/moves ARE effective if applied correctly at the right time...and, think about it...would you want Rampage poking you in the eye or fishhooking you ON TOP of what he could do to begin with? there has to be rules to keep the fighters safe...just as boxing has evolved over the years to maximise safety for the fighter, so should the UFC...as it did.

if you don't like the ruleset, don't watch it. but critiquing it as 'unrealistic' is just effing stupid.

and, to derail the thread a bit...I watched the first round of this Bodog thing or whatever the other night...boring as hell. What's up with that?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Fouls: [Top]
    1. Butting with the head.

Maintain good head control in the clinch; endeavor to be the man on top on the ground. The headbutt is a great guard-killer, and was very popular with wrestlers until it was banned.

2. Eye gouging of any kind.

Head movement in free-fighting, hand control while grappling. Also, gouge first.

3. Biting.

Remove opponent's teeth ASAP, and/or break jaw. Failing that, maintain head control while grappling.

4. Hair pulling.

Break arm.

5. Fish hooking.

Bite finger off.

6. Groin attacks of any kind.

Less wide-legged stance. Otherwise it's the same as defending any other attack - block, dodge, whatever.

7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.

Hand control (sensing a trend here?). Avoid getting cuts or lacerations whenever possible.

8. Small joint manipulation.

Keep hands closed. Learn gripping methods which protect fingers. Use them first.

9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head.

Don't let people behind you.

10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.

Don't let people above you.

11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.

Keep your chin down, hands up.

12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.

Hand control, SJM.

13. Grabbing the clavicle.

Hand control, SJM.

14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
    15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
    16. Stomping a grounded opponent.

Be the one who's not grounded. Wrestling's good for this. Learn to defend vs standing opponent while on ground (see BJJ "buttscoot"), and how to stand quickly and correctly.

17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.

Learn how to pass guard.

18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.
    19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.

Defend a throw/takedown.

20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.

Hand control, SJM.

23. Holding the ropes or the fence.

Attack the holding limb, or break off and change strategy.

29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.

If they're being timid, I don't have to fight them.

30. Interference by the corner.

Bring your own corner. And weapons.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post

Martial Arts describes ALL fighting arts. This includes boxing, kung fu, muay thai, tkd, etc. They are all martial arts.

So in turn calling it MIXED Martial Arts is redundant and stupid. Who ever named that sport is ignorant. Martial Arts encompasses all of them. That like saying I an going to an Automobile car race. WTF?!?!

I still would not want to go up against any of the pro guys in the ring though. I would get my a$$ handed to me.
    Wow... is this a serious post?

Anyway, if you train kung fu, you are a kung fu stylist. kung fu is a martial art. Over the years in MMA, what has become successful is a mix of styles, typically striking and grappling. thus, people mix striking and grappling - mixed martial arts. Another way of looking at it is that fighters of various backgrounds may enter. Thus, it mixture of various arts are in the competitions - mixed martial arts.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    KF...you've been in the game for a long time. I'm not a UFC hound....I think it's good to watch every once and a while if it's on....just to pick up some tips...so I'm not as well-versed in its history as you probably are.

You know of any serious injuries that have occured in the UFC?

there has been one death. It was in a show in some country, maybe in europe, I can't recall. But, the guy died from repeated head trauma. I guess the ref didn't stop the fight soon enough.

EDIT: I just checked google. Douglass Dedge was his name. The fight happened in ukraine.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 02-19-2007 at 04:00 PM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    if there has been just one death in a mma event...and Al Dore has had multiple deaths...

AND

NPM is the quintessential mixed martial art having been formed from 18 other styles.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    Wow... is this a serious post?

Anyway, if you train kung fu, you are a kung fu stylist. kung fu is a martial art. Over the years in MMA, what has become successful is a mix of styles, typically striking and grappling. thus, people mix striking and grappling - mixed martial arts. Another way of looking at it is that fighters of various backgrounds may enter. Thus, it mixture of various arts are in the competitions - mixed martial arts.

Yes its a serious post.

Martial Arts encompasses and describes fighting arts be it grappling, striking or internal. Much like automobile or cars describes a mode of powered transportation.

Much a like automobiles there are sub decriptions within that nomenclature. Ford, GM, sports car, minivan etc. Same with martial art, you have grappling, striking, kung fu, karate etc.

Like I said saying Mixed Martial Arts is the same as Automobile Cars. Its redundant.

Maritial Art describes all fighting arts. There are sub groups under that nomenclature. It already describes all groups. Adding "Mixed" in front of it makes it redundant.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

it's not the same because you have specific stuff as well. you have tkd contests, boxing matches, muay thai matches, judo shiai, etc. a karateka cannot enter judo shiai. MMA allows all styhles to enter... It's MIXED

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    it's not the same because you have specific stuff as well. you have tkd contests, boxing matches, muay thai matches, judo shiai, etc. a karateka cannot enter judo shiai. MMA allows all styhles to enter... It's MIXED
    OK you guys are missing the true meaning of the word.

martial arts
    –noun-
    any form of self-defense or combat that utilize physical skill and coordination without weapons.

Yes a boxing is not the same as karate comp. But both are a form of MARTIAL ART.

Martial Arts means ALL arts. The word already encompasses all arts, therefore its is already saying MIXED.

If the competion is only for Kung fu practitioneers. Then it would be a Kung Fu tournament. Or Karate competition. Or Jiu Jitsu match. It would denote the sub group of the word. But since it is all styles, and the word MARTIAL ARTS encompasses all styles, it is a MARTIAL ARTS competion. Adding MIXED in the front of it is redundant.

xcakid,
    Get over it.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    xcakid,
    Get over it.
    Yeah but I am still peeved.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    The elbows to the back of the head and spin, have not effect, however.

Then why is there a rule against it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Are there any drug, pain-killer, or perfromance enhancement regulations in the UFC?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Are there any drug, pain-killer, or perfromance enhancement regulations in the UFC?
    Yes, there are. The relevant athletic commission tests all title-bout competitors and a random selection of other fighters for performance enhancers and illegal drugs. This caused Pride some problems on their first US show, as they don't test in Japan and something like a quarter of the competitors came up positive.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post

I kind of agree with you about the name. I've actually had people get the impression that because it's "Mixed" that we beat up on women.

But we didn't get to name it. I'm not actually sure who coined that term.

At least it's not called "EXTREME Martial Arts". Ugh.
    Site Director, Bullshido.com
    No BS Martial Arts