Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UFC Rules and Regulations

Go away , feltcher..

MMA is a misnomer. mRma is what is meant. Mixed RANGE martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Go away , feltcher..

MMA is a misnomer. mRma is what is meant. Mixed RANGE martial arts.
    Hi Rudy. No thanks, I like it here.
    Site Director, Bullshido.com
    No BS Martial Arts

MMA is the perfect name. Most martial arts specialize in one type of fighting- either standing and striking or grappling and groundfighting. Before MMA, a wrestling/ground based fighter would not be able to fairly compete agaisnt a standing/striking based fighter.

With the advent of MMA, not only do practitoners of these two specialty types of systems get to fight with each other, but more and more fighters are becoming highly proficient at both types of systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    MMA is the perfect name. Most martial arts specialize in one type of fighting- either standing and striking or grappling and groundfighting. Before MMA, a wrestling/ground based fighter would not be able to fairly compete agaisnt a standing/striking based fighter.

With the advent of MMA, not only do practitoners of these two specialty types of systems get to fight with each other, but more and more fighters are becoming highly proficient at both types of systems.
    It'd be perfect if not for the fact that "Mixed" in sports generally means "inter-gender" and not "blended".
    No BS Martial Arts

good idea. Why not start an XMMA venue? It could feature mma, tma and people who train both. Of course, sport fighters would own it too, then tma guys would complain, but still...

And knife is dead on. That's the same thing I was saying.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Well since without the whole wacky "fighting" thing, there wouldn't be any Martial Arts in the first place, we should probably promote that aspect of it above everything else.

Just my NSFHO.
    No BS Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Hi Rudy. No thanks, I like it here.
    LOL! Even you got tired of your own BS!!!

I kind of agree with you about the name. I've actually had people get the impression that because it's "Mixed" that we beat up on women.
    Stop hanging out with stupid people.

(And I forgot who came up with the name - Ross, do you remember?)
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

Quote Originally Posted by LeeCasebolt View Post
    Stop hanging out with stupid people.

(And I forgot who came up with the name - Ross, do you remember?)
    Hurr.

People who do martial arts make up a whopping 2% of the population. To the rest of the world "Mixed" means "intergender" when it comes to sports-type activities.

But then I guess we all can't hang out with people smart enough to write martial arts style guides for roleplaying games.
    No BS Martial Arts

You know what, feltch boy, YOU are the biggest LARPER on the planet.

You PLAY at being an MMA fighter. You wear the clothes. You talk the big lingo. But in the end you're a 0-1 wannbe shlub, just like every other wannbe shlub.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    You know what, feltch boy, YOU are the biggest LARPER on the planet.

You PLAY at being an MMA fighter. You wear the clothes. You talk the big lingo. But in the end you're a 0-1 wannbe shlub, just like every other wannbe shlub.
    You must be roleplaying my girlfriend then, with all the personal attention you devote to me.

Now go make me a sandwich.
    No BS Martial Arts

You must be roleplaying my girlfriend then, with all the personal attention you devote to me.

I can't larp your girlfriend. I'm not THAT ugly.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 02-21-2007 at 01:54 PM.

that's enough, guys. Go bond elsewhere and let the thread stay at least somewhat on topic.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by LeeCasebolt View Post
    Yes, there are. The relevant athletic commission tests all title-bout competitors and a random selection of other fighters for performance enhancers and illegal drugs. This caused Pride some problems on their first US show, as they don't test in Japan and something like a quarter of the competitors came up positive.
    Yeah....but their control isn't like....hey, you're positive, you're banned from competing in our league. It's more like, hey, **** it out and come back next time cleaner than you are now.

You can juice, but you have to be clean before competition....(this post based on books/articles I've read from people inside UFC, most recently Sam Sheridan's new book, which touches briefly on the subject).

Here's a question. I forget which thread I posed it on...maybe it was this one.....on the subject of Thai MT fighters.

I know they have hard kicks, bows, and knees. Hard sometimes can't even begin to describe their shin striking roundhouses. MMA guys use MT kicks to weaken opponents.

How do you think a top-notch Thai MT fighter would fare in MMA? Or does the relative size of the MMA figher come into account? the Thai doesn't have any ground game, but could an MMA guy take 2-3 kicks and still be standing? Just curious if the UFC has tested this out.....whenever a Thai kicks someone non-MT, the dude usually just collapses from the pain, because most other styles of martial arts practitioners just can't withstand that kind of power. When I started martial arts, I considered going the MT route, but I figured why? I never plan on fighting professionally. Might as well do something I'd enjoy more. I know I'd crumble from one MT kick.........

Just curious....if you have vid links....please post them. Or at least name some names....

Thanks.

Quote KF: Downward elbows to back of the head and spine have no effect.....

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Then why is there a rule against it?
    I've got to disagree with KF on that note. If I know one thing, it's how vulnerable our spines our, especially near the back of the neck. A shot to the neck can be fatal, especially with something as powerful as an elbow strike coming straight down. Even if it's not fatal, it can cause major damage which will immediately affect both one's mobility and motor functions.....as well as one's concious faculty .

This is one of the rules I figure was drafted to protect shooters...or anyone else for that matter. But it really works to the advantage of a shooter.

On an irrelevent side-note: Had a funny thought this afternoon as I was playing with some weapons outside. MMA is touted as the proving grounds for martial arts. That's in human-to-human relations. But an MMA fighter is pretty much screwed against a wild animal, especially with a spear or something, facing down a tiger, bear, or lion. I'd give much better odds to a contemporary wushu player with a spear.... ...still not that high, and yet much higher....

And what's more ultimate than a man facing down a man-eating beast? Do any of you MMA guys play with weapons? If so, what kinds?

I'm assuming practical stuff like knives.....maybe sticks....