Thread: Dangers of weightlifting

My recommendation (as an MD with hypertension who lifts weights)-

-check your BP regularly and, if elevated, modify lifestyle and risk factors.

-do regular 'cardio' - which has been shown to lower blood pressure

-regularly consume positive modifiers of endothelial function- dark chocolate, red wine, fatty fish, fish oil, walnuts, and other nuts

-if that fails, go to your physician and start an antihypertensive

-check your blood pressure immediately after doing heavy lifting; if it's greater than 190/100 (arbitrary, but a reasonable number for concern), realize you're taking a risk, and may want to modify your workout strategy.

Andrew

P.S. As all this article mentions is case-reports, it's pretty thin to make any treatment decision on. Large, prospectively controlled population studies are needed to really get any meaningful data on this subject.

P.P.S. As long as we're looking at anecdotal evidence, the rate of stroke and sudden death among okinawan karate practitioners (looking in Higoanna's 'History of Karate', and other texts) is pretty high. These are the folks who codified tension based sanchin, a quasi-isometric 'tension' form thought to massively elevate blood pressure.

The title of this thread should be "Dangers of Aneurysms".

You could rupture a blood vessle sitting on the john taking a dump.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    You could rupture a blood vessle sitting on the john taking a dump.
    A guy I work with coughed while doing said activity and tore several ligaments in his neck...
    A unique snowflake

All true, just take reasonable precautions, but don't stop living your life and doing what you want to do.

a quasi-isometric 'tension' form thought to massively elevate blood pressure.
    There is experimental evidence to back this up as well, and it was even touched upon recently in a thread here. One of the major drawbacks seen from isometric exercise, even that which consisted of only 6 second contractions, was a large elevation in blood pressure. It is advised that anybody at risk for blood pressure related conditions not do them. I don't have my materials on me, but I could track down the studies this cites if interested.
    Last edited by Ford Prefect; 02-22-2007 at 12:27 PM.

It is not the length of the hold, but the percentage of maximum pressure that you use. It is recommended not to use of 60% to 75%.

Weights have the added risk of adversely affecting your joints and skeletal system. Have you ever seen an old pack annimal?

US Air Force Study on isometric exercise and blood pressure.

US Air force study on isometrics and blood pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    A guy I work with coughed while doing said activity and tore several ligaments in his neck...
    LOL! Now that's funny.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Life is a risk taking experience. If you can't take risk your life counts for nothing- you can't fulfill yourself and your destiny.
    Actually aneurysms are hard to detect and can get a vulnerable person at anytime without warning. My exwife's aunt was a nurse who kept herself in great shape. She was slim and fit and paid great attention to her diet and exercised regulary. At age 35 she had an aneurysm while bowling and died on the spot. There was no family history of aneurysms.

I remember a quote by The Mighty Atom who performed strongman stunts into old age. He said,"this stuff is really dangerous, one weak blood vessel and it is all over."

there are a lot worse ways to go. i'd take an immediate end while doing something i love over a long drawn out ordeal in a hospital bed anyday. you dont usually get to choose such things, but im just sayin.
    where's my beer?

I totally agree with you. Life is an unpredictable risk taking event. We all should take the risks that we are willng to take to fulfill ourselves and our lives,but I think we should know and evaluate those risks to the extent that we can. In my opinion there is nothing more pathetic than the totally risk adverse type of personality

word. education and calculation are important, but worry never served anyone well. worrying in general is like paying interest on a debt you might not even owe. i certainly do enough of it to know.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy62 View Post
    I totally agree with you. Life is an unpredictable risk taking event. We all should take the risks that we are willng to take to fulfill ourselves and our lives,but I think we should know and evaluate those risks to the extent that we can. In my opinion there is nothing more pathetic than the totally risk adverse type of personality
    Alright....now, let's all get back to our autoerotic asphyxiation.....

its from the Vaslva Manuever AKA power breathing...also works great to cause post exercise headaches,hernia,hemmeroids ect.