Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Shaolin Traditions

1) the robes of shaolin monks are based on the rules for monastic wear set up by the buddha. usually they were made with cast-away cloth, or sometimes from a corpse. nowadays monastics dont need to do that and it would be rather strange, honestly. rather the laity often supply monastics with new sets of robes. the colors are usually autumn colors such as orange, red, yellow, and brown. the color represents the turning of the leaves in autumn just before they fell. which is a symbol of detachment or renunciation. nowadays though, especially in shaolin you'll see all types of robes with fancy material and color. this is a modern thing. some robes are even made with only one sleeve. originally, in india when a pupil would be in the presence of a master they would remove their sleeve to uncover their right shoulder which was a sign of respect. most buddhist sutras start with someone approaching the buddha, removing their sleeve to uncover their right shoulder, kneeling on one knee and joining their palms- which was the formal way to make requests or ask questions to the buddha.

2) most styles of china are based on aspects from shaolin or even have history there. but most were not actually practiced or taught at the temple but developed elsewhere, sometimes based off of shaolin arts. such as "bak siu lam" in cantonese which means northern shaolin. this style was created in the south, hence the cantonese title. but was based on what the creator had learned from the temple in the north, hence the honorary title of northern shaolin. however, there is no real evidence of it having been practiced or taught in the temple, though it is certainly related. similar events are the case for styles such as wingchun and hungga. styles such as baguazhang are daoist, having nothing to do with shaolin buddhist arts. the first style created in shaolin was rouquan which was an internal style much older than taijiquan. but later, an ex-general from henan, chen wangting created the first taijiquan style named after his family, chen style, from chen village (chenjiagou) in henan province. since it was very near shaolin at one time they had a crossing and shaolin has adopted chen style taijiquan, which is similar to many other styles in history. but at shaolin the taijiquan practiced there is following the chan philosophy, so it is known as chan style rather than chen. it is slightly different yet obviously from chen style taijiquan which was created and developed outside of shaolin in a non-buddhist foundation.

3) i'm not sure of any graduation or mastery. but it is very common for masters to send their disciples to travel to other temples to learn more about buddhism. even today. one of my masters has been ordained and lived in three different temples in henan and is currently outside of henan following his masters wish for him to travel more to learn about buddhism. there is no requirement for them to be sent or allowed to go. they just follow their master. yet in some temples it is common for a test to be passed in order for the monastics to open another temple or center elsewhere, for obvious reasons. but for travel and learning, there is no requirement.

4) again, not sure about any specific "graduation". but each person is different and so each person is taught differently and naturally they will progress differently as well. so time for anything is always relative. imagine a requirement of only three years but you have a slow learner. would three years be enough to pass him although he has not grasped the teachings?

hope this helps!

Thumbs up Rou Quan?

Thanks for the info!

LSF. As always you are a great help, if you have an email address where I could ask you personally that would be great.

Anyway, what is rouquan? I understand that it was the first shaolin style but what does it look like? Is it like taiji? Also, in regards to your input on the brands, why would they receive the brands? Graduation diploma? Just cause it looks cool?

On the subject of robes. What does blue represent?Iv'e seen many monks with multi layered robes(probably due to the cold weather)but they aren't wearing the warm colors they wear blue and white. Is it a modern thing? What about the long robes that you would see a master wear? Is it a master thing or is it a ceremonial robe that all monks can wear? The Sash/wrap(the one around the waist and the one around the chest): is it significant of something or is it meaningless?

As always any and all help is apprecated. I know i may be a bit of a pest with all these questions and I thank everyone for their time and patience in dealing with me.

Thanks

WF

This is a funny thread

Here are the authentic Shaolin dragon & tiger forearm brands. I'll address the other questions later, maybe, if someone else doesn't get to them first.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

We interrupt that short commercial break to bring you your regularly scheduled bickering......

Quote Originally Posted by ittokaos View Post
    Thanks for the info!

LSF. As always you are a great help, if you have an email address where I could ask you personally that would be great.
    LFJ.... i'll pm it to you so bots dont capture it.

1) rouquan is an internal style done slow to medium pace with some explosiveness. its attributed to huike, the second chinese chan patriarch. better than trying to explain, i can show you a video i came across. this is a group of students from shaolin temple overseas. it is mistitled yijinjing which is actually a stationary qigong form. but it is really shaolin rouquan.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pgDp--rohkk

2) about the brands. i only know the history and significance of the symbol. i was just told about its history at the southern shaolin temple in fujian province and that it has been inactive for at least 360 years. this was information from a monk currently belonging to that temple. the reasons could be many though. perhaps to show they were one of the few who were able to exit the temple. many monk impersonators could make all sorts of claims. but if they didnt have the brands one would quickly know they werent from the temple. similar to the incense burns on the head when taking vows. it helps distinguish the true monastics from the laity.

3) in regards to different color robes. blue represents universal compassion. usually you'll hear of disciples wearing blue while orange was reserved for the ordained. white robes are common in thailand for a period of time before one becomes a monk. it is a period of purity before entering the sangha. nowadays people will wear any color because they are made for fashion.

the length of the robes dont represent anything specific. but there is a robe that buttons in the front rather than crossing over. this is monastic wear that would be used when entering the town or doing other business outside the temple. it can also be considered a monk's work clothes. another common one you may see is the long black robes with very wide sleeves. this is called haiqing and is the practice robe for the laity. all layman are allowed to wear this for practice and ceremonies. traditionally all the monastic robes are to be worn exclusively by the ordained. the laity may not wear them. only the black haiqing. nowadays in shaolin students are always wearing the monastic robes for some reason. but in buddhist tradition, all other sects observe this rule and reserve the robes to the ordained only. the buddha made the rule that the one thing a monk is not allowed to give out is his robe and alms bowl.

the red piece over the robes that the abbot usually wears is called a kesa and is worn by high ranking or elder monks in the sangha. others can wear one that is brown or black in color, but it is only for those who have taken the precepts. if one has only taken refuge and not the precepts they should only wear the robe and not this outer piece. but generally that is for the laity because all monks must take the precepts as well as a number of other vows in order to be ordained. so they can wear it. the red one however, is reserved for high level monks and is considered offensive to the chinese sangha if one were to wear it not being an elder or in high level.

the sash keeps your pants up, as far as i know. in other traditions there is a belt made specifically for monastics. but it is worn on the under layer and not seen.

i hope that covers your questions.
    Last edited by LFJ; 02-27-2007 at 06:37 AM.

on second look that video is a bit different than the way i learned it. the middle is different. it misses some spots and adds new ones i havent seen. but still, many pines trees in the forest. no two are exactly alike but they are still pine trees. thats rouquan.