http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq4a1yUadGY

chanlung
    Registered User Join Date: Sep 2005

is it seven star mantis 8 Elbows?

Hello "chanlung",

It's from the Mei Hua tradition.

M.Dasargo

thank you
    is the seven star 8 elbows different from the mei hua 8elbows?

Quote Originally Posted by chanlung View Post
    thank you
    is the seven star 8 elbows different from the mei hua 8elbows?
    Yes. You may be interested in this article. It is a little beyond me since I have not yet studied the form but it has given me an idea of what is ahead.

Mike

Thank to share

The Lanjie have the same beginning of Chiu Chuk Kai TJPM ...

Thats the lanjie and Bazhou from Sifu Puyot ?

Steeve

I do a Wa Lum set called 18 Elbows. I wonder if they're related?
    Always learning

Good question. Who knows, maybe in the WL world 18 Elbow form may be considered to be their version of Ba Zhou. But from what I understand, 8 elbows is considered to be one of the core mantis forms. In my opinion, WL`s 18 elbow form is not one of WL`s core forms. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have never seen 8 elbows beginning moves to resemble some southern family style kf. Those of you who know WL`s 18 elbows, the opening part of the form is very southern. But as of late, WL is covering this southern influence by speaking of themselves as a hybrid system.

This could be a thread but, in your opinion(s) what do you think are WL`s core forms?

WL Big Mantis form = Beng Bu, this is definitely a inner core WL form.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Why would they want to cover their Southern aspect?
    Always learning

Quote Originally Posted by Donkwoon View Post
    Why would they want to cover their Southern aspect?
    In America, it's called Indecent Exposure, and it's just darned illegal, man.......

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan View Post
    Good question. Who knows, maybe in the WL world 18 Elbow form may be considered to be their version of Ba Zhou.
    18 Elbows is completely unrelated to 8 elbows.
    8 Elbows is also about three or four times longer than 18 Elbows.
    The 18 elbows form has around 18 elbow strikes while the 8 elbows form had between 60-70 elbow strikes in it.

Kevin

U-tube was down for awhile but now that I've seen the vid I have to say that they have nothing to do with on another.

That's a cool set.
    Always learning

WL 18 Elbows is very southern. It's a nice set with some dynamic tension in the beginning (if you do it correctly, most just blow through it) and some good applications. From what I've seen of NPM 8 Elbows the only similarity is the use of elbow strikes. They are completely unrelated.

My opinion of WL still stands. I believe the core forms to be at the higher levels (somewhat backwards although fitting with the tradition of learning another styles basics before getting into the mantis).

Since most don't make it that far you woulod have to consider the WL core to be more like Straight Form, 18 Elbows, 36 Hands and Buddha Palm on the southern side and Second Form, Little Mantis, Third Form and Lohan for northern. It's hard to say due to the north/south mix.

Theoretically you could have a good fighting base with just 36 Hands.

I heard Soft Form contains all the WL techniques but I don't know of anyone learning more than half of the set.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

What would you say are the higher core forms?
    Always learning

Higher core forms, didnt I ask this already?
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

This is a little off topic but since the wl 36 hands starts the same and 36 hands and is similar as 18 elbows.....I am adding an excerpt from the wl grandmasters book that gives an overview of the style.

"Some may be familiar with the form 36 hands, which is composed of movements from five different styles. It is a strenuous because it is so long. But then the opening moves are very similar to the hung style, the way they get into a solid horse stance. Sometimes when you start, people who really know Kung Fu, think you are from the Hung Style school. Actually it is a special form of the WL praying Mantis system, except it did take different components from different styles. You have Northern Praying Mantis, plus Hong style and several other schools.That is why 36 hands is very long and also why some of the movements contrast from very stabilized strong moves to very light moves. Special emphasis in the hong style is on the stances and the forearms."

I think that is your explaination to the sourhtern connection to wl. The book gives a great overview of the system and answers many of the questions about the origin of the style......

It was translated from various lectures that The Grandmaster gave in his first years in the states. The wl sifu from tampa put the book together and I think did a great job with what he had to work with.

It is my take after reading the book that wl never claimed to be 100% mantis but pays respect to the mantis systems by aknowledging the mantis contribution.

Anyone interested in the wl history should get a copy of the book.

As far as core sets.......why chase shadows? You learn everything you need in the first year and a half or so...like other good systems. Just parctice that....

If it takes five years to develop the tools you need...its not that great of a system.

aiChi Praying Mantis - 8 Elbows - SLOW

"Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao