Thread: Shaolin Thugs

Shaolin Thugs

Anyone ever go to a school where they liked to mug people?

my first school had two thugs (main sifus top students) they would send out to beat the hell out of people...either for teaching forms from the school unapproved, or just for kicks at other dojos...

one of the students whom i knew personally loved to boast about beating the crap out of people in his class or visitors that had just signed up....
    personally dont think this is a good practice...and its definately not "martial" or whatever...

its sad but it happens. anyone else know of similar experiences?

You've seen Karate Kid one too many times!

nah it was really disturbing...strange stuff... i wish it was just "karate kid" but it was for real....

My first school ended up with a guy like that. Though, rather than be a "top" student he was just a gullible classmate who stuck with the teacher after most everyone else had left. He didn't really beat anyone up though, just tried intimidating some of the female students he went to school with.

I've also come across a couple schools with internet attack dogs. Rather than go beat people up they'd spread lies and mis-information on the internet about their teacher's rivals, while acting threating.

Sometimes when I see a kid "posing" too much and making too many "cool sound effects" in his kung-fu forms, and his sparring (double eek), I tag him with a couple of hard shots while he's "pulling a pose" just to reinforce that you shouldn't ever, in a fight, do like Madonna and just: "Vogue!"

It also teaches more realistic sound effects, as he wheezes from a shot to hte ribs that drives the air out of his lungs.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Sometimes when I see a kid "posing" too much and making too many "cool sound effects" in his kung-fu forms, and his sparring (double eek), I tag him with a couple of hard shots while he's "pulling a pose" just to reinforce that you shouldn't ever, in a fight, do like Madonna and just: "Vogue!"
    I reread this a minute ago......I'm laughing soooooo hard......hahahaha.....

wookie, too much weed is bad m'kay?

moderation is what you want.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Naw, man. I've never toked in my life. (work for Gov....they put me to a polygraph to make sure I never had.....)

If you've had experience with a dude like the one I'm talking about, you'd probably be laughing, too.

It was the "really cool sound effects" part that got me......

yeah ive seen that type.... ;0

i guess insane "thugs" are not common in schools...one of the reasons I moved on...

I bet in any school where students want to emulate or idolize a master a little too much, this would be a problem. Takes one bad seed.......

Lots of guys are a little too protective of their masters.

Why? They can't defend themselves?

good question.. people are nutty. Yeah my former teacher did idolize his master, I think he made up a lot of bullsh*t stories about the guy too...you know "former shaolin" runaway from the 60's kind of stuff. Whats sad is the guy is still alive and doesn't know what a wacko his student is...

Stories....stories...and more stories......go hand in hand with bullies......

I think it's all a product of the American mentality...which is we don't like to see the "meek" picked on by bigger guys.

Most Masters are really humble guys.....and they're rather "meek" from outward appearances...and they don't care to answer challenges to their martial expertise. They're just like: "You think I'm a phony? Well, that's nice. It was nice to meet you."

And then that guy goes off belittling the master, and one of his students gets ****ed. He respects the master, and feels that the insult tarnishes that respect. He therefore bullies the bully in order to protect the bond between student and teacher, out of loyalty. Kind of like the relations between Israel and the U.S....

It's the wrong approach in MA. Masters can defend themselves. We often think they choose not to. But by walking away, they've defended themselves the best they know how, which is to avoid conflict.

It's just one of those differences between easterners and westerners. We fight for honor. They tend to live with it.

As for the stories......yeah, don't take 'em with a pinch of salt. Clear out a friggin' salt mine, dude....
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 02-26-2007 at 11:48 AM.

Lots of guys are a little too protective of their masters.

Why? They can't defend themselves?
    Sometimes, yes Haha, seriously though, I understand what you mean about some of these students... Mayself and some of my teacher's other more experienced students have had to try bring a few newer ones down to earth on occasion. The worst though is when one of the kungfu noobs finds their way online and starts picking fights. I remember a few years ago, one of my teacher's newer students came on here and tried picking a fight with basically the entire Wah Lum organization Luckily, most of them had enough forum experience to realize he was just some kid making an @ss out of himself so nothing ever got out of control

Shaolin-Do....need I say more?