Thread: Azumi (spoilers)

Azumi (spoilers)

I picked up the Japanese movie Azumi while in DC for Wong's tournament. Wanted to give you all a quick review, for those who haven't seen it.

Directed by:Ryuhei Kitamura

Starring: Aya Ueto

This movie is based on the Japanese Manga comic. It is the story of a girl who is trained as ana$$assin with her 9 training brothers. In the opening the training brother are all paired off with those they are the closest to and forced to kill their partner. The remaining 5a$$assins go with their master to attempt to bring peace to Japan bya$$assinating Lords of 3 clans. There are ninjas (one that has a monkey-face), a sadistic eunich (at least that's what we'd call him in a Chinese movie).

There is all the blood spraying effects you need in a nice samurai movie.

The final fight scene where Azumi fights an entire village is badd-@$$. The action scenes throughout the films are well-coreographed and well-filmed. In part of the final fight (between Azumi and the Eunich) the camera circles several times, head-to-toe instead of front -to-back. It is cool the first 3 times, but the it gets a bit dizzying.

I highly recommend this flick to those who haven't seen it.

**** out of *****
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

2nd one is out and its pretty good. azumi has been out for a while. its good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I know this movie is like 2 years old already, but I only recently watched it. The only reaso n I picked it up was because the director of Versus directed Azumi also. I enjoyed Versus, but Azumi is much better.

I will now BOLO for the second one as well.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

I got a box set quite cheap of both Azumi movies and loved them! The first movie is probably the better one as it was directed by Ryuhei Kitamura (of Versus fame) but the second movie also stars Chiaki Kuriyama and I have a real thing for her (the girl who plays Azumi is cute... but Chiaki is something else)!

Azumi

We discussed Azumi on the Sword Hotties thread.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

speaking of versus they are making a versus 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF

Starring: Aya Ueto

Say no more!!!!

Azumi is one of my favourite movies. Certainly in top 100, and for pure entertainment probably a bit higher.

Azumi 2 probably makes it onto my Most Hated top 100.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Azumi in America

Azumi is having a limited US theatrical premiere today. It's being released by Asian Visions and it's only playing in two places here in the S.F. Bay Area that I know of, the Lumiere and Shattuck Cinemas. Boxofficemojo.com only lists it for one theater (??) so maybe that's it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Check out our latest e-zine article

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips