Thread: southern praying mantis question

southern praying mantis question

The only southern prying mantis I've ever seen is jook lum, I know their are other spm systems, what are the differences between these.

trolls stay home.
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

I think that's hard to answer because even within Jook Lum there are a lot of differences among the different schools and masters. It really depends on who you learn from. Many masters have learned other styles during their lives or have different interpretations of techniques or forms and they create slight variations even within the same style, even within when they learned from the same master. This is pretty common to any style.

I think the most popular SPM style along with Jook Lum is Chow Gar. Do a search for some of the Chow Gar school website and watch their videos. I think that would answer your question the best; however, like I said keep in mind that even if you watch another Jook Lum school you will also notice differences.

-X-

yes;,...and'

X-Warrior,...correct,..plus; 7-Star Mantis,(Chi-Xing Tang-Lang), Tai-Chi Mantis,(which isn't the same as slow-movement internal tai-chi), 8-step Mantis,(Ba Bu Tang-Lang),...etc.' I agree,...if you do a basic search; type in; "Praying/Preying Mantis Kung-Fu Styles" You will get 'loads' of reading material. and/or go to youtube.com and prepare to watch hours of different 'takes' on the Mantis styles. Li Ma-Keh

Quote Originally Posted by Li Ma-Keh View Post
    X-Warrior,...correct,..plus; 7-Star Mantis,(Chi-Xing Tang-Lang), Tai-Chi Mantis,(which isn't the same as slow-movement internal tai-chi), 8-step Mantis,(Ba Bu Tang-Lang),...etc.' I agree,...if you do a basic search; type in; "Praying/Preying Mantis Kung-Fu Styles" You will get 'loads' of reading material. and/or go to youtube.com and prepare to watch hours of different 'takes' on the Mantis styles. Li Ma-Keh
    Those are northern.

Also, OP, that large font didnt keep me away, just for future reference.

Mantis Body

Why don't we talk about the Mantis Body.

the body

Don't all southern mantis have the same body Dew Tong, Dip Guat, Sow kay bui, hat yi sao, wa tzai ku, Ding bot ding, bot bu bot?
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

Talking

I'm refering to the actual physical change to the body.

some of the things I noticed when I first started was when I made a fist my knuckles were more prominent. I also my forearms were getting larger. those were the first I saw change

oops',.....

Sunfist, yep',...my bad.' I just started naming 'mantis' styles,...sorry. Li Ma-Keh