Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chasing techniques of pok kik

Chasing techniques of pok kik

Hi
    I've been training for over fifteen years in a system that uses pok kik as it's core
    training.
    I can't find anything that resembles the continuous advancing side stance, it's movement is similar to choy lee fut as it was developed by a CLF master and was around Malaysia in the 60's or 70's, especially Ipoh where my sifu is from.
    The style of pok kik has no forms just techniques specializing in kup choi, pow choi.
    The interesting difference is yum, yueng, fon and fan choi chasing are done with the straight fist and with the thumb on top, not swinging and any number of combinations can be done when you master the side stance or double shifting stance.
    It was used alot in full contact and i still use it when sparring.
    Has anybody got any films of this as i'm thinking of doing something because i think it should be shown, or has anybody seen any as my sifu is the only person in U.K doing this

Thanks

do you realize that "pok kik" / pak yihk is just "fighting" or "full contact fighting" in Cantonese?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

hi friend,

i guess we are cousins in this art though i don't practice it anymore

yum, yeung, fong, fan
    pin, pao, kup
    gwa, chou, sau

leung yee ma, bin fa mo ku'ng

these are the first 3 sequence of fists taught by my teacher with the associated footwork of leung yee ma.

i wrote a bit about pok kik or pok khek or bojiquan under memories of bojiquan here (http://taijistagmont.wordpress.com/) - click on Others - Bojiquan. You can find a picture of the founder of Pok Kik - Grandmaster Nip Chee Fei and my teacher Master Leong here also.

by side advancing i suppose you are referring to either the zigzag pattern of leung yee ma or bil po.

good to see pok kik alive and well somewhere else.

Hi and thanks

It is so nice to hear from somebody else who has trained in this, why did you stop
    training in these little known techniques.
    I feel this style extremely important for combat that it should be shown more.
    My sifu comes from Ipoh in Malaysia and trained under master pan poh ngean who
    has been the full contact coach for years.
    I hope to put something on DVD in the near future, as i love everything about the
    side stance but takes alot of patience and hard training to get right.
    I'd love to hear more of your experience and hope more people come forward and show it.

Take care

Swingfist

Surely it's just the CLF darting step?
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

what do you mean by darting step

The side stance or leung yee ma which means double shifting stance, it was
    developed by the choy lee fut master nip chee fei.
    Outside Malaysia I've not seen it done by any CLF people and I've been training
    about 20 years.
    Could you tell me more about the darting steps.
    When I've seen CLF done with a side stance the main techniques are circular
    i.e pow and kup choi, also with pow choi the fist is held in the normal way with
    the thumb wrapped over and comes up with the inner knuckles facing you
    horizontally whereas when we do pow choi and all the other side stance normal
    punches the thumb is on top so you don't have to change positions when chasing
    and pow comes up with a vertical fist.

And to ikfmdc pok kik is a stand alone style developed from CLF for full contact
    fighting.

In my old school I was taught shifting via standing in a more "square" . . . you still have 1 feet forward but it's more square on towards your opponents, and that has been my preferred stance. I also like it to be able to check kicks as such. I like to use it to set up sau, pau, chop, etc . . . . some of our combinations are a mixture of setting up via different panther fists, then following with gwa-sau, gwa-pau, etc, also throwing in jabs, crosses, and various hooks and uppercuts (myself have basic boxing knowledge).

We also did quite a bit of side-to-side movement, and my Sifu always emphasizes on chasing the opponent.

I trained under Mak Hin Fai - Lee Koon Hung lineage.

Any way you can videotape what you're talking about and posting it onto Youtube? I would greatly appreciate it as I'm not too sure what your talking about.

I'm assuming that by side stance you mean a side on horse stance, punching with the lead hand. In which case by far the most common technique in Choy Li Fut from this stance is Tsop Chui (stabbing fist).
    Darting step is a method of darting frowards into a side on horse stance, using the front heel and hip to boost forwards. It's used extensively in Bak Sing CLF to chase people in square horse, and can be seen in the forms of every Hung Sing line.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    I'm assuming that by side stance you mean a side on horse stance, punching with the lead hand. In which case by far the most common technique in Choy Li Fut from this stance is Tsop Chui (stabbing fist).
    Darting step is a method of darting frowards into a side on horse stance, using the front heel and hip to boost forwards. It's used extensively in Bak Sing CLF to chase people in square horse, and can be seen in the forms of every Hung Sing line.
    Side stance - yep - side horse. Chop Choy stance.

I think I know what your "darting step" is. I'm not the best guy with technique names, but I'm sure it's all over the combinations I've been taught and such.

hi swingfist, sorry it has taken a while for me to reply. guess fate is funny as i keep coming back to taiji no matter how far i strayed from it. anyway, pok kek is good for fighting but for long term development i guess taiji offers something that i can't find in pok kek.

i'm afraid i don't know master pan but then apart from master nip's 1st disciple who is master choo, the 3rd disciple whom i only know the nickname master nip gave him which is Heavenly Flying Rat and my own teacher who is the 2nd disciple I am ignorant of the other disciples of Master Nip.

anyway, do keep up the good work in spreading the name of pok kik. i just posted about pok kik's pole form today on my blog - i don't know if you have learned it but hope you have since its such a nice and short form.

oh, one more thing about the leung yee ma. i am not sure if Master Nip developed it himself. i was told by my senior that Master Nip learned many styles of CMA - there was a brochure that lists what these styles are he learned but i am not able to locate a copy. anyway, you know the first thing you learn yum chui with leung yee ma? i saw the exact same technique in Lama White Crane. so its a possibility that Master Nip may have taken it from there - anyway its just my guess from putting two and two together.

i agree with you on the thumb positioning on pok kek fist - it allows us to use the fist to hit whether with a gwa, kup, sau, pek, chou or yum/yeung/fong/fa'an - i don't think i have seen any other styles use it this way either.

yeah, pok kek is basically the essentials of combat which Master Nip distilled out and proven by his disciples and grand disciples to work in full contact tournament. i trust your teacher have also taught you the "taunting song" which accompanies pin, pau, kup? - i can't repeat it here since i don't want the 4 schools mentioned to come after me :-) - those days of open challenges are gone but since its part of pok kek history i thought i would bring it up to your attention

hi, i train pok kek with a friend once a week,
    he learnt off master chooo in the late 80's..

it's a style of kung fu that doesn't worry too much about forms, the main stuff we work on is mind and body..

we do a lot of fore arm condistionsing wrist smashing blocks..

lots of reflex training.. techneques simliar to wing chuns sticky hands..

and we work alot on our balance..

lots of sparing..

would love to know any more information on this style...
    Last edited by Pok Kek Vincent; 03-14-2007 at 10:46 PM.

Hi pok kek vincent,
    Where are you based in the world as I'd like to know who you're master was.
    i'm going to try and get something on dvd at some point and want input from
    other people so i can trace the history of this, as i think it's such an interesting
    style not to mention very practicle
    Can you let me know if you train the leung ye ma stance ( side stance ) chasing
    with all the combinations

To Ben Gash the side stance is not a horse stance it's like a bow arrow stance but to the side but is slightly higher because of the fast moving forward, it's difficult to explain, also the feet are on the same line, back foot is pointing directly to the frontand you usually feel tension in the calf if it's right.

Shinmyouken can you let me know where i can find your blog as i'd like to know more about the pole form, i did learn one but would like to see if it's the same.
    I'm learning tiger crane as there is only so much to learn in pok kik, with the tiger crane style they do a tai chi form called suaung yeung pei ho not sure on the spelling, not seen this done anywhere also, but when i spar i use the pok kik
    more than any other, do you find this happens to you.

Quote Originally Posted by shinmyouken View Post
    hi swingfist, sorry it has taken a while for me to reply. guess fate is funny as i keep coming back to taiji no matter how far i strayed from it. anyway, pok kek is good for fighting but for long term development i guess taiji offers something that i can't find in pok kek.

i'm afraid i don't know master pan but then apart from master nip's 1st disciple who is master choo, the 3rd disciple whom i only know the nickname master nip gave him which is Heavenly Flying Rat and my own teacher who is the 2nd disciple I am ignorant of the other disciples of Master Nip.

anyway, do keep up the good work in spreading the name of pok kik. i just posted about pok kik's pole form today on my blog - i don't know if you have learned it but hope you have since its such a nice and short form.

oh, one more thing about the leung yee ma. i am not sure if Master Nip developed it himself. i was told by my senior that Master Nip learned many styles of CMA - there was a brochure that lists what these styles are he learned but i am not able to locate a copy. anyway, you know the first thing you learn yum chui with leung yee ma? i saw the exact same technique in Lama White Crane. so its a possibility that Master Nip may have taken it from there - anyway its just my guess from putting two and two together.

i agree with you on the thumb positioning on pok kek fist - it allows us to use the fist to hit whether with a gwa, kup, sau, pek, chou or yum/yeung/fong/fa'an - i don't think i have seen any other styles use it this way either.

yeah, pok kek is basically the essentials of combat which Master Nip distilled out and proven by his disciples and grand disciples to work in full contact tournament. i trust your teacher have also taught you the "taunting song" which accompanies pin, pau, kup? - i can't repeat it here since i don't want the 4 schools mentioned to come after me :-) - those days of open challenges are gone but since its part of pok kek history i thought i would bring it up to your attention
    hi syk
    what 4 schools?? and what's taunting song??
    i have known & followed the ncf school for quite a while and also know his student who has inherited a couple of boxes(the rest were burnt by mrs nip)of his writings & ideas after he passed away in the early 90's.
    I believe his top pk student would be the late 'bodyguard" tong yee ming.
    with regard to pk, no one mention about pun lun chup, pun lun kup, pun lun sau etc and last but not least the mooi farr chup...
    cheers

..sounds like an offshoot of Bak Sing CLF, especially when you consider Nip Chee Fei was a disciple of Tam Sam. Brutal, side fighting, offense oriented, a training emphasis on hard core fighting..a lot of the principles and methods taught by Tam Sam. Nip Chee Fei blended in Tai Chi Kuen and I would imagine some Maylasian flavor as well to 'create' the style that is called: poc khek.

It would be interesting to see footage of this style to compare.

nospam

From what you guys saying the leung yee ma stance bieng like bow & arrow but sideways, sounds like it's close to or similar to a lot of other southern lin wan kuen stepping.

We have a 7-strike lin wan sequence in Hung Ga's FHSYK for example that steps just like that, and I've seen it often in Lama-influenced arts, often with their "half-moon" stepping where they slide the stance forwards with the backleg at the same time.

As for tucking thumb on the outside of the hand rather than cupping it, that's pretty standard too, particularly when throwing sao choy's or charp choy. IMO Anyone who's hit a heavy bag or a block downwards on their thumb stuck under their fist should know better than to keep it there for those strikes.

It's a trivial matter and not a style-thing to switch the thumb around based on what your type or target is, it's really not some "signature" thing. But I also know of some other styles like a local Jow Ga school that makes it a point to always tuck the thumb on the side, even on straight jabs or crosses.
    Last edited by mok; 04-30-2008 at 10:46 AM.
    __
    "What is the sound of one hand clawing???" -- chanh buddhist proverb