Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bjj for cops

bjj for cops

Came across this article on the top ten bjj techniques for police officers. Some may find it a small but interesting read. I am sure some of the bjj players on the board could add or subtract from the list. Defend U is actually a pretty good site based on awareness and de-escalation principles.

http://www.defendu.com/10_bjj.htm

I don't know much about the bjj clinch but from what they are showing in that photo there are other clinch varieties that look a lot better in terms of control. Greco-Roman over and under, collar and elbow or the Thai head clinch for one.
    Last edited by Black Jack II; 02-27-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Good stuff. I never seen the sidemount like that with the legs outstretched, but i can see how it can be effective. I always had my knees bent and in close to the opponent with a wide base which works well for me in applying techniques and not getting flipped over. I'm going to start working with that one too now.

BJJ is good for people to know incase they get taken to the ground, it's really a different world on the ground, and i beat bigger/stronger opponents all the time with just better technique. (although some people naturally use correct technique)

When I first started judo, I was taught that variaton of the side mount. I don't have any qualms with the clinch they show here - we use it in muay thai, along with other variations. It's great if your opponent is taller than you and you are having a hard time reaching and keeping control of the crown of his head. shove your head into his jaw, causing discomfort and restricting his head movement, giving you a certain amount of control over him. However, I do have a problem with where his opponent's arms are. IMO, he's giving him too much freedom of movement.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I know its hard to see from that picture but it looks like this clinch is buried deep into the bottom of the neck for the temporary hold. The main thai verison I was taught is to get control of the crown with a double collar tie, as the neck can be often very strong depending on the individual, but the crown makes it easier for control.The neck is good for throwing when the adjustment is made.

I just cant see a lot of control with the first part of the clinch, the second looks good though but it seems to be a clinch that is part and parcel of going to the ground but again maybe I am seeing that clinch in the wrong order.

Man I need to get into grappling. I'm just afraid of offending my sifu if I start going to a BJJ place. We're sort of a family, and it'd be rude to go somewhere else if you didn't have reason. Maybe he knows some grappling.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    imho, i agree about the entry on that clinch...the opponents left arm could swing down to the gun pretty quickly.

seems like a quick duck under to a full standing rear ride and then the back heel trip/takedown.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by syn View Post
    Man I need to get into grappling. I'm just afraid of offending my sifu if I start going to a BJJ place. We're sort of a family, and it'd be rude to go somewhere else if you didn't have reason. Maybe he knows some grappling.
    talk to him. if you are that much of a family, he will understand. If he doesn't want you to train elsewhere, I would be forced to ask him his reason.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

seems like a quick duck under to a full standing rear ride and then the back heel trip/takedown
    Bingo. If you look at the first few pictures in succesion it sure does look that way.

Good eye.

So I just got back from class and I was talking to my Siying about grappling and he said he took BJJ for a while because he wanted to be able to go to the ground and not get his ass wooped.

He said he'd show me the basic position, and how to handle yourself on the ground, because if you don't know anything you're so screwed, but if you know at least the basics and how to act on the ground your chances increase greatly.

So I guess I'll get to learn a bit of grappling.

good. so, it doesn't sound like your teacher would object if your older brother got to train. Respect for your teacher is good, blind obediance is...well, sorta like slavery. I think it's respectful to let your teacher know you would like to train something else as well. So, just ask. But, it's a warning sign if he says no.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

I doubt he'd say no if I asked him, but if he found out I was training somewhere else without telling him he'd probably get ****ed off, and give me a serious warning.

but yeah no way he'll object to my Siying teaching me, and I won't have to pay for other classes!

syn, your first post hinted that it might be a problem for you to go elsewhere. OF COURSE it would be a problem if you did it with out saying something to him.

so, glad you will be able to get some groundwork in. it's essential.

Better to learn BJJ from a competant instructor (i.e. purple belt or above) where available then someone who took a few classes a while back and knows the basics...Just my opinion...otherwise you might think you know what you're doing when really you dont

Of course something is better than nothing I guess
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

OF COURSE it would be a problem if you did it with out saying something to him
    I don't understand that type of outlook, from my point of view what someone does on there own time, with there own money should not be of any concern to another martial art instructor.

I understand the respect aspect of telling him, I can see someone saying that it would be nice to be told, but really I don't see how it is needed to do so or how it would be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    OF COURSE it would be a problem if you did it with out saying something to him.
    Just curious, but why would it be a problem?
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/