Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Infighting

Starchaser107 Guest

Infighting

Has anybody experienced infighting within the structure of thier school, for example conflict between two or more sifus , or sihing, or students who just generally dont get along with each other. In the case of the Higher ranks , for instance Sifu's conflicting with Sifus , or Sihing with Sihing , is this something that is common, is it potentially dangerous for a school, how can this be resolved? Is it possible to ever resolve such a thing. Has your school lost black belts , or black sash students or even Sifu's because of serious internal conflict, disagreements or just severe difference of opinion, or even disrespectful conduct? Can this be prevented?

"everything is everything"_W.Rodney

KC Elbows Guest
    In my experience, some of it is fairly common, especially once a student is no longer a student, but a teacher in their own right, the student-teacher relationship becomes difficult to transition to the colleague-colleague relationship, usually most so for the person who used to be the student. They tend to overdo it, and sort of rebel, but if the teacher keeps a cool head, a lot of these become friendships again.

shaolinboxer Guest
    Actually, there is some competition among beginners. But not the advanced students, it seems.

Starchaser107 Guest
    yes I noticed this , this I've seen happen at most schools whove been around for a while and thier students branch off to do thier own thing.
    What I really find distressing is not so much the student teacher relationship , but student to student. This type of divide that has the potential to create side taking among the lower ranks instead of mutual trust. Things like inciting malicious things to discredit someones reputation or gossip, slander. It is unfortunate, one would think that martial arts would teach humility.

"everything is everything"_W.Rodney

BeiKongHui Guest
    The worst infighting I've yet to see was when I trained in a local MMA gym. It was run by a bunch of guys in their early to mid 20's who had all the answers. They were constantly arguing and back biting, lying to each other and the students. Hell, the head guy even had an affair with the wife of the only instructor with any maturity the gym even had. I don't know if you could call this place a McDojo because there were some good sport fighters but their self defense programs were a joke (with the noted exceptions of those taught by a JKD teacher and a Wing Chun/ Wrestling teacher) and if you didn't watch it they'd separate you from sh!tloads of $ real quick. I have heard the owners motto was "Tell them anything to get 'em to sign". They were a **** egotistical crew too.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.
    --Khalil Gibran

joedoe Guest
    Once you get 2 or more people together, there is bound to be politics involved at some point. It is inevitable and part of human nature - unless everyone involved is able to control their egos.

Politics is a part of any organisation, and unfortunately MA schools are not exempt from this.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    You're fu(king up my chi

Satanachia Guest
    Well, since i'm learning through university, there are several groups that use the same training area. We've got Tae Kwon Do, Kung fu, Aikido(two seperate clubs), karate, ninjutsu, judo and probably several others i've forgotten.

Anyway, i know there's infighting between the clubs at our place. Basically each group has 1 or 2 representatives on a council of martial arts.
    And so everything gets voted on, and suggestions on funding and stuff. Anyway, there's huge animosity between kung fu and one of the aikido clubs(i didn't know this till i started kung fu, but it didn't suprise me as i went and sat in on all the other classes before choosing this one, and i turned down the Aikido guy rather quickly) mainly because of the teacher.

Its gotten so bad apparently, that one student from each club met each other at some party. They basically said "hi, have i seen you at the dojo, yeah, i'm in this class, nice to meet you".
    Next day the Aikido teacher claims our students are following his around to parties.

Anyway, i guess the point of my story is, whether it be in martial arts or any other organization is this:

Some people, irrespective of skill, are just wankers. :D

Budokan Guest
    Internecine warfare is a common problem in martial arts. The Journal of Asian Martial Arts ran an article about it just this year: Vol. 10 #2 about instructor/student relationships and how they go sour because that's the way the instructor's relationship with HIS sifu was. Sort of a self-perpetuating cycle.

K. Mark Hoover

Richie Guest
    No, never. We follow what Grand Master Chan says. We are like a big family and he is the head.

For traditional kung fu go to www.taishingpekkwar.com

wu_de36 Guest
    If that was true... I'd congratulate you. But I'm pretty sure it's BS on some level.

Richie Guest

Wu de36

Are talking to me? Hey its not my fault if your school is all ****** up. We respect GM Chan.

For traditional kung fu go to www.taishingpekkwar.com

scotty1 Guest

Hey look...

I've just got my first signature. Thanks Satanachia, that's the funniest thing I've read on here for ages, and so true. And I love the way the system doesn't censor the word 'wankers.'
    I wonder how may people know what it means, I thought it was a British thing. Anyway, back on subject... :D

"Some people, irrespective of skill, are just wankers." -Satanachia

What does 'infighting' mean ?

Well ? Dunno I'm not english by nature, so don't shoot me for asking this ..

Greets
    If you know of any good Sanshou movies on the web, let me know through PM !

Usually refer to boxing when u're close enuf to clinch, uppercut and throw hooks.
    A

Thanks, that explains why they mentioned it in WT forum I guess
    If you know of any good Sanshou movies on the web, let me know through PM !