Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Infighting

Quote Originally Posted by joedoe View Post
    Once you get 2 or more people together, there is bound to be politics involved at some point. It is inevitable and part of human nature - unless everyone involved is able to control their egos.
    Joedoe, well said. And MA school is particular prone to politics. Just look at the nature of the art will tell you why. It is martial.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    Joedoe, well said. And MA school is particular prone to politics. Just look at the nature of the art will tell you why. It is martial.
    Regards,
    KC
    Hong Kong
    That seems to be a matter of the nature of the house, or even perhaps the various styles.
    The loudest and most visible gyms are the competative ones and the most populated are the exercise & form ones. Neither of those prioritize outside of that and they are more vulnerable to winds and schism.
    Not just nature & nurture, but environment, goals & contrast in group dynamics. I doubt a ranger or a seal would identify a pro martial environment as one of petty jealousies, false competition or argument tactics or where that which occurs is able to affect the group as a whole to any degree.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

any opportunity for power and control attracts those ppl like flies in anything in life

thats why kung fu got no hierarchy

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Wow - this a trip down memory lane. Nice to see some old names I'd long forgotten.

Worst infighting I ever heard of happened in a friend's kendo school. The sensei gave his blessing for his senior to open his own branch (dude was a good teacher and excellent kendoka). Two years on, with much success, a long lost sempai of the new instructor turned up. He hadn't trained for 25 years, but at one point was very high in the organisation. Japanese worklife just stole him away.

Anyway, 25 years or so later he decides he's now got enough time to come back to training, shows up at the branch school (where according to tradition, he is still the highest ranked person after the sensei) and starts throwing his weight around. The teacher is doing this wrong. The teacher is doing that wrong. The teacher wasn't there in the early days when it was just him and the sensei building the organisation. Seriously giving no face at all.

The sensei was at first thrilled to have him back. He did used to be his #1 after all, but as far as I know, even though he quickly grew tired of the sempai's behaviour and attitude, he never stepped in to help the younger teacher. I was told he had words with the sempai, but it didn't change much, and he never intervened on his younger teacher's behalf.

It ripped the organisation apart.

At my old school I never saw anything beyond a bit of healthy rivalry. But there were a few barely mentioned rumours of this or that person who left under a dark cloud.

I guess what I'm saying is even in good schools, eventually some bad blood might pop up.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

"The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Some people like family feud and thrive on drama.

Some would save their energy and time to develop a few skills.

No time nor energy wasted on squabbling.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    Some people like family feud and thrive on drama.

Some would save their energy and time to develop a few skills.

No time nor energy wasted on squabbling.

It is a characteristics of human society - bickering. Some people stay away from it. And others go for it enthusiastically.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    Wow - this a trip down memory lane. Nice to see some old names I'd long forgotten.

Worst infighting I ever heard of happened in a friend's kendo school. The sensei gave his blessing for his senior to open his own branch (dude was a good teacher and excellent kendoka). Two years on, with much success, a long lost sempai of the new instructor turned up. He hadn't trained for 25 years, but at one point was very high in the organisation. Japanese worklife just stole him away.

Anyway, 25 years or so later he decides he's now got enough time to come back to training, shows up at the branch school (where according to tradition, he is still the highest ranked person after the sensei) and starts throwing his weight around. The teacher is doing this wrong. The teacher is doing that wrong. The teacher wasn't there in the early days when it was just him and the sensei building the organisation. Seriously giving no face at all.

The sensei was at first thrilled to have him back. He did used to be his #1 after all, but as far as I know, even though he quickly grew tired of the sempai's behaviour and attitude, he never stepped in to help the younger teacher. I was told he had words with the sempai, but it didn't change much, and he never intervened on his younger teacher's behalf.

It ripped the organisation apart.
    If he was really traditional he would have handed him his ass and thrown him out into the street.
    What kind of "martial artist" just lets that crap happen? lol yeesh.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

My mistake

Clearly, I posted our WINNERS-INFIGHTING-on-DVD-autographed-by-Rory-Miller sweepstakes on the wrong thread.

At least infighting got a little more discussion from the ttt.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart