Thread: OT: do you believe in "the secret"

OT: do you believe in "the secret"

it is a book.

the law of attraction.

believe and you shall receive.

--

believe that you have a racecar, and BMW will appear in your drive way.

etc.

http://thesecret.tv/behind-the-secret.html

people used to look for self help in

religions, daoism, shamanism,

asking a question and looking for "signs".

now, there is the secret.

--

my friends talked a lot about this. since "oprah" is talking about it.

I said that I like the idea of thinking positively and always looking for opportunities to reach your goal either in sickness, financially or career wise.

--

what do you think?

I haven't read the book, but saw the movie that they made... I think it's a bunch of tree hugging hippy crap.

There's definitely a practical merrit to thinking positively, and knowing what you want in life. Without solid goals, you end up wandering through life aimlessly, never sure if you're happy because you don't actually know what makes you happy. At the same time, negative thinking just gets in the way of achieving your goals.

However, "The Secret" makes it seem like the universe conspires to give you whatever you're thinking about rather than giving the the proper, simple explanation for why training yourself to think positively can actually improve your life.

so one of my bro always believes he will win the lottery in Taiwan or california.

so he kept buying and said the next draw or hand will be a big win.

30 some years later. he still believes.

he still buy lotto from grocery store or gas station.

if he happens to be there, he will buy.

--

I believe it but you have to think of it on a small scale.

For example: If I believe that I'm going to be a millionaire someday will I ever be one? Probably not.

BUT: If I believe that I have the power to change my financial situation for the better and apply this positive thinking to my actions, will my financial situation change for the better? It probably will.

Here's another example. For the past year or so, I've been miserable at my job. Very unhappy with management, very unhappy with my responsibilities. I've felt like I've been going nowhere and that I was at a dead end. Well, I was right.

Recently, my wife and I began talking about "the secret". I realized that the only thing keeping me down has been my attitude. I turned my attitude around and started to think of positive ways to change my situation. I stopped complaining and started to focus on the things that I wanted. It was announced last friday that my job will be changing. I'll have more responsibility but I'll also be able to focus on the things I do best.

The secret works, but it's really just a twist on the old "if you can perceive it then you can achieve it" saying.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

"the secret" is that if you manage to write a book about how everyone can get whatever they want through some trick, the person who is gonna get rich is you.....

unless you lie and get caught by Oprah, she takes offense and ambushes your butt on national TV
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

on materialism and possessions.

My bro has a bottle of Taiwan beer or Asahi or singapore tiger or just tsin dao. he is happy/content.

my other bro has a piece of article/scripture from diamond sutra (Jing Gang Jin). he is happy and busy meditating the endless meaning of words in sutra. what does this mean in sankrit and chinese?

pour moi/for me, an open space in the park/nature that I may practice Tai Chi/Ba Gua and some breathing/relaxation exercises. I am content.

--

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    on materialism and possessions.

My bro has a bottle of Taiwan beer or Asahi or singapore tiger or just tsin dao. he is happy/content.

my other bro has a piece of article/scripture from diamond sutra (Jing Gang Jin). he is happy and busy meditating the endless meaning of words in sutra. what does this mean in sankrit and chinese?

pour moi/for me, an open space in the park/nature that I may practice Tai Chi/Ba Gua and some breathing/relaxation exercises. I am content.

--

Ah, SPJ, indeed it seems you and your brothers have found the secret all by yourselves.

I have a feeling I'd like your book better.