Thread: Long fist

Long fist

I was wondering if anyone in these forums practice long fist style/s, what their favorite style is, and the characteristics of the style?

Cool

Never practiced long fist but it looks interesting

My school used to teach longfist, but has phased it out and now I'm the only one that remembers. I'm not sure what it's called but it starts at #1 and goes to 10, getting more difficult as you go. I got to longfist 7. I believe they use it to rank coaches in China? (Not sure).

Edit. Uh, these ones....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEllGdmG7K8
    Last edited by Jingwu Man; 03-05-2007 at 10:35 PM.

yeah that is the basic curriculum for changquan as a style itself. It has 10 basic forms in it. So far from what I have seen my favorite styles are pao chui which is three emperor cannon fist or mi zong quan "lost track" style.

I used to practice MyJhong Lawhorn (Mizong Lohan) which is a combination of two longfist styles. It was a lot of fun.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

I practice the Granddaddy of them all, Tai Tzu Chang Chuan
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

long fist

tai zu chang quan? is that the original long fist style i think? Also does anyone think Jet li did a good job in Fearless portraying mizong?

Just started Nothern Long Fist. I like it. Just got my Orange Belt(next belt after white) So don't really have much to say on the subject. So far there are a lot of similiraties in the other styles I have taken like Sil Lum 5 animal and Ying Jow Pai. The concepts are much different though. So far there has been an emphasis on what I would describe as Karate like blocks and punches. Much harder technics that I am used to compared to my previous styles. Maybe that is just my school. The other style I took, shaolin kempo, is really melting well with this style. Like I said I am fairly new so not really an "expert" on the subject yet.

I'll let ya know how it really is 3yrs from now.

My schools webpage is on my signiture, you can check out lineage, curriculum etc. on there.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

long fist

sounds good. yes long fist does have a lot of similarities with styles like karate as it uses hard movements, it seems to have much more of a selection of kicks and strikes though, does your style seem like that also?

Tai Tzu is really old, and it is the forebearer to many of the newer Long Fist styles, but there are others that are older, just not many.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 03-11-2007 at 06:39 PM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    sounds good. yes long fist does have a lot of similarities with styles like karate as it uses hard movements, it seems to have much more of a selection of kicks and strikes though, does your style seem like that also?

So far no. I have seen some of the kicking combos up to 1st Black Sash and they seem to be pretty standard to all other CMA kicks. Lots of aerial kicks in the upper belts though. Again reminescent of hard styles(taeKwonDo). Hand strikes, definitely more selection and concepts of hitting. But that's what CMA is all about and is expected.

I like it, but to be honest, so far, I am not that impressed. Still partial to Eagle Claw and Southern Styles like Choy Li Fut, etc. I have actually been throwing around the idea of taking a distance learning course from Doc Fai Wong in Choy Li Fut to augment my Long Fist training.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Long fist

I know exactly what you are talking about. So far I have been studying long fist and internal arts but have been doing no sparring. Before this I trained wing chun, which I have also considered continuing my studies in, as we did a lot of sparring and two person drills.