Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't anyone make Glass Fishtanks anymore?

Once you've boiled the rice I don't think you really need the grains anymore, you've boiled the starch out of the grain and into the water. If you then siphon the liquid into a glass carboy and add a little yeast you should have plenty of fermentation.

Reply]
    I tried that before, and it only ferments for a day or so. If I leave the grain in, it ferments for 6 days or more. I am going for Max Octane here. The longer it ferments, the better.

WD, Thanks for the link!! It says that one is 25 Gallons too!!

As for the plastic brewing bins, OK, even if a food grade bin is fin, it's still not see through. I want to be able to monitor the process without haveing to open it up. That requires glass.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

WD,
    Never mind, it's a typo, and is only 2.5 gallons. I need at least 5.

Lama Pai Sifu,
    Where did you find your Mason jars?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I found huge mason jars with a rubber seal and stainless steel tops in Target.

the 5 gallon style? or the 1 gallon? I found 1-2 gallon jars online, but I really need at least 5.

5 gallons of rice wine, distills down into 1 gallon of white lightning (80%-90% alcohal), or 2 gallons of about 45% alcohal. I may go with the 45% as it's about the strength of Voldka.

You can distill 2 ways, with a regular fire breathing still like an old Moonshiner, or by freezing your wine (The alcohal does not freez). I have been triplle distilling with my freezer by putting the wine into 1 gallon Ice Mountian jugs.

After the third freez, you have got some STRONG STUFFF!!!

For the Women:

+ = & a

Perhaps a ceramic container.

Fighting on the Internet and competing in the Special Olympics have a lot in common. They are both exclusively for the Retarded. Anon

Among the many proud moments of my life was having my discipleship posted on Mantis Cave and one of the funniest was when I saw how they mis-spelled it. Moi

I have been thinking thta as well, but I cannot monitor well because ceramic is not clear.

What I want iis those old glass octigonial 5-10 gallon fish tanks. They were perfect, made out of one solid piece of glass, not sides glued together with silicone. They were basically big giant glass bottles.

I can find arcylic ones all day long, but no one seems to carry the old fashioned glass ones anymore.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Thrift shops. You'd be surprized what y'all cain find at one a them secind haind storse...

But seriously, try antique shops and thrift stores. Look in the nick-knack section. It might take a while to find what you're looking for, though. To clean the mineral deposits off, try Easy-Off Bam, the run it through the dish washer if it will fit. (you might need to take the top rack out.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

First thing in Google:

www.all-glass.com

Couldn't figure out on first glance if it was assembled or solid.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

The backs are glued on with silicone. I already looked into those.

The closest to what I want is the 2.5 gallon one WD linked to before, but I want one 5-10 gallons.

I remember as a kid working in a petstore that used to sell exactly what i want....only today they are no longer glass but acrylic. The petsmart by my house sells them.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Glass aquariums still come in glass in a variety of sizes. You should be able to find most of the below at specialty pet stores--Im a fairly avid herpetology guy and always can find good deals on used tanks at stores that carry reptiles and such.

- 10 gallon tanks should be available for $5-10 at just about any pet store on the planet.
    - 20-longs are cheap too, and can often be found used.
    - 29 gallon tanks start to get more epensive.
    - 45 gallon breeders are a fairly cheap; they are shorter and wider. I wouldnt recommend filling a 45 gallon breeded though as the glass isnt made as thick as say, a normal 50 gallon tank.

Keep in mind that ALL of these tanks, while glass, are still held together by an industrial adhesive. However, considering that people fill these tanks are let them sit for years and years and years and years without the adhesive being eaten away, I think youll be fine...

Quote Originally Posted by PlumDragon View Post
    Glass aquariums still come in glass in a variety of sizes. You should be able to find most of the below at specialty pet stores--Im a fairly avid herpetology guy and always can find good deals on used tanks at stores that carry reptiles and such.

- 10 gallon tanks should be available for $5-10 at just about any pet store on the planet.
    - 20-longs are cheap too, and can often be found used.
    - 29 gallon tanks start to get more epensive.
    - 45 gallon breeders are a fairly cheap; they are shorter and wider. I wouldnt recommend filling a 45 gallon breeded though as the glass isnt made as thick as say, a normal 50 gallon tank.

Keep in mind that ALL of these tanks, while glass, are still held together by an industrial adhesive. However, considering that people fill these tanks are let them sit for years and years and years and years without the adhesive being eaten away, I think youll be fine...
    Fish tanks are held together with silicone that cures as the alcohol leaves it, putting alcohol in a tank with silicone seals is a very bad idea. When re-sealing a tank you use alcohol to clean out the residual silicone deposits: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...q=2&fldAuto=36
    Last edited by Sang Feng Fan; 03-08-2007 at 05:18 PM.

Fighting on the Internet and competing in the Special Olympics have a lot in common. They are both exclusively for the Retarded. Anon

Among the many proud moments of my life was having my discipleship posted on Mantis Cave and one of the funniest was when I saw how they mis-spelled it. Moi

I am looking for the old style Tall Glass tanks, that were more like giant Glass bottles, than standard fish tanks.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Still think you'd have some luck at an atique shop. They used to make clear pickle jars around 5 gallons; my great grandmother used them all the time. And they are, indeed, up to handling white lightning, as they were designed to handle home made vinigar. They are also at least 6" across at the mouth because they are/were pickle jars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

That is exactly what I need. Unfortunetly I can only find 2.5 gallon ones comercially avaliable today.

I actually saw one last summer at a garage sale for $1.00, and I didn't get it because i thought I'd never use something like that!!

For the Women:

+ = & a

Bingo! All Glass aquariums are good.