Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Martial icons and archetypes.

Awesome topic.

I think the gladiator is up there. How about the cowboy? And the indian?

The vietcong? The vietcong might be a stretch. But cowboys and indians were just as important to my childhood as Ninjas. Samurei's didn;t seem that exotic because I grew up in the Issin-Ryu tradition.

Oh, and Jedi's. I still want to be a Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Awesome topic.

I think the gladiator is up there. How about the cowboy? And the indian?

The vietcong? The vietcong might be a stretch. But cowboys and indians were just as important to my childhood as Ninjas. Samurei's didn;t seem that exotic because I grew up in the Issin-Ryu tradition.

Oh, and Jedi's. I still want to be a Jedi.
    I think every thing you mentioned, yes to one extent or another. I suppose it pretty much depends on where you are really and what you've come into contact with.

For me all of them pretty much. The vietcong not big, but a bit just from my parents generation being involved in that time period, movies etc...when i think of modern gorilla warfare, the vietcong do definately flash through my head. Tons of imagery we assimilate over our lives you know?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    The Biker-the modern version of the Cowboy, the Pirate, the American Indian.
    The Biker rode an Iron Horse, had his own rules,valued brotherhood, honor, loyalty,Respect.
    Of course the icon of the American Outlaw Biker are the Hells Angels.
    Not going into the alleged criminal element, just the image.
    Many clubs started out as a brotherhood of like-minded individuals, who shared a common bond-the love of motorcycles.

The other version is The loner on two-wheels.
    "Then came Bronson" or "Renegade," or a dozen movies about the lone biker (usually a Viet Nam Vet) who came to the small town to find the corrupt sherriff, roughneck townies, and the pretty girl who works at the diner....

The Loner hero is another-played by everyone from Stallone, to Norris.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

How 'bout Bruce F'n Lee. The "Elvis" of martial arts icons.

Hong Kong Fooey would come in second, followed closely by the original pink power ranger (but only barely nudging out Steve Chase).

the knight. lancelot, etc..

supermans an icon for sure and hes not even real. then you get into things that are mythical and it opens up a whole new bag. like dragons.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    The Biker-the modern version of the Cowboy, the Pirate, the American Indian.
    The Biker rode an Iron Horse, had his own rules,valued brotherhood, honor, loyalty,Respect.
    Of course the icon of the American Outlaw Biker are the Hells Angels.
    Not going into the alleged criminal element, just the image.
    Many clubs started out as a brotherhood of like-minded individuals, who shared a common bond-the love of motorcycles.

The other version is The loner on two-wheels.
    "Then came Bronson" or "Renegade," or a dozen movies about the lone biker (usually a Viet Nam Vet) who came to the small town to find the corrupt sherriff, roughneck townies, and the pretty girl who works at the diner....

The Loner hero is another-played by everyone from Stallone, to Norris.
    easy rider

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    easy rider
    Different type of Biker. Captain America (Peter Fonda)embraced the freedom of the road, individuality,no ties, not part of the establishment, but at the same time a pot smoking youth, seeking his sense of self, while his friend, Billy(Dennis Hopper)was the paranoid, extremist, thrill-seeking,pill-popping, running away from himself. They weren't quite Hippies, and actually looked at the Hippies as being too extreme-in the sense that they were too comfortable in their own frredom.
    East Rider was right at the peak of the Hippie era, and represented the awakening of the youth to the realization that all is not well and good if you just tune in, turn on, and drop out. That there is something more out there. Somewhere between the 9-5ers and the Hippies lied the answer. Balance.
    Which brings us back to the middle path and Buddhism,Shaolin, and Gung-Fu.
    (I think Peter Fonda's role-had he lived, would eventually been drawn to Martial Arts. Probably Tai-Chi)
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Barney the Purple Dinosaur

supreme grandmaster of almightniess colonel sanders

i think guan yu was a big kung fu archetype from way back. he was so famous general yue fei wanted to be like him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqseCRFx7k0
    Last edited by bawang; 11-27-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

We have modern peasant heroes/everyman-types: Cindarella Man/Rocky, Randy Couture, Early '90 Gracies... etc

strike!

(I think Peter Fonda's role-had he lived....
    ???????
    You found an obituary somewhere?

no, silly! I meant his character, Captain America. He was shot off his bike at the end.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

no, silly! I meant his character, Captain America. He was shot off his bike at the end.
    ???
    Enh! I was an original "anti-hippie" and didn't watch that flic until sometime in the last 15 years... and, even then, I could only stand about 15 minutes of it. (at most)

I guess it was "fortunate" that character got killed off, otherwise there would've been a sequel.

yep. Some films don't need a sequel. Like, "Deliverance." Who wants to see Ned Beatty going back to his job, walkin in all bowlegged, and sitting on a rubber donut.
    Funny thing, you didn't really see Ned Beatty in any films for quite awhile, until Superman. It must suk being typecasted.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Most films don't need sequels. They just make them anyway.

For example: X-Men 3
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.