Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Shou Shu - real or another made-up melange?

Umm, that explanation didn't help at all.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

I think one of Da Shifu's students posted here a while ago explaining that he calls himself Da Shifu as a tribute to Da Mo, who "lives inside him"
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

ewwwww....

Originally posted by anton
    I think one of Da Shifu's students posted here a while ago explaining that he calls himself Da Shifu as a tribute to Da Mo, who "lives inside him"
    That Quote is from Sheng Hun Kung Fu
    Last edited by Shou Shu Blue; 11-14-2003 at 07:35 PM.
    Fear Makes You Hesitate, Make Fear Your Allie and Make Your Enemy Hesistate!

Originally posted by joedoe
    So how does a mongoose fight?
    The mongoose is the master of trickery. His fast agile motions allow him to be where the opponent thinks he is not. His unique ability to create power from awkward positions makes him comfortable in any position. Being comfortable whether upright, over center, falling, rolling over his opponent, or even standing on unstable ground (his opponent) makes him the most versatile of the fighting animals.

In nature, the mongoose will taunt the snake. He will position himself right underneath and within striking distance of the snake. He does this because his skill is at evading and counter striking. The mongoose wants the snake to stretch out and become weak. The mongoose knows that he can evade the strike thereby leaving the snake in a weakened and overextended position whereby the mongoose can counterstrike and stretch the snake further. Once in control the mongoose will never again allow the snake to coil. He will keep him in his stretched and weakened position, rendering him harmless.

A Mongoose shifu will do the same. His strength is in the counter attack. He can quickly retreat to the edge of the opponents striking distance and counterattack with a ferocity, He can evade while simultaneously attacking. He does not have the strength of the tiger but creates his power through completely different methods. He creates his power through positioning. He can quickly get his body into a position of strength rather than using muscular strength. He positions himself, in a method we call “posting”, so that he can take full advantage of leverage. Thereby alleviating the need for physical strength.

This advantage teaches those of small stature to use their body size as an advantage. Rather than trying to fight the larger opponent head on, they learn to fight him where he is weak. Size and strength are unnecessary when fighting in the way of the mongoose.

Because the mongoose is small, he does not risk another attack. The tiger can play with his opponent just like a cat would play with a mouse. The mongoose cannot risk this. When the mongoose is in a situation he knows it is life or death. For this reason he attacks with a deadly intent.

His chi penetrates deep into the body through small focused and rebounding strikes. Because of his strength of positioning he is totally reinforced. His chi is forced through his weapons because it is totally supported by the earth.

I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

principles are known truths.

they are adhered to by remaining within the parameter of the model.

IE:

A principle of uprooting tactic is that when forward motion is applied, it is neutralized by having an upward force meet it.

applied: if someone pushes you with thier arms forward, place your hands at their elbows and push up, their forward pushing force is neutralized and you now can counter.

observation of an animal has little to do with the actual principles.

Here is another example when in contect to the principles of animal fighting.

an observation is made :as in an animal is seen commiting an atack or a defense.

the defense or attack is distilled into human form and application.
    It is tested to verify if it works with the human form.

a) it does
    b) it does not.

Here is another example:

snake will coil before it strikes.

transposed to human form, muscle is contracted and then relaxed as strike is executed.

Coiling also is used to constrict and choke or break.

another:

limbs have joints. joints bend in a prescribed way for the most part on most human beings. When pressure or force is exerted on a joint in a direction contrary to the natural motion of the joint, the joint will succumb and break or suffer injury.

Just my two cents, but this is how principles should be described and noted as opposed to observations of how animals do things.

These transpositions of animal methods all have to work within human form before the known truth is derived.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The mongoose is the master of trickery...
    What are you talking about? Rather then write a long dissertation about this, I'll just state that this sounds like a bunch of bs to me. You know what I find alarming when I read this crap, it's how you can make an illogical conclusion regarding chi based on a generic description of "mongoose tactics". Deep chi penetration through rebounding strikes?

I didn't mention a mongoose once! Not once!!!

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

It's still Kenpo.

I've actually seen some vids from over at cyberkwoon and I wouldn't say it was kempo.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hmmm, so Kung Lek, what do you think it looked like? Maybe it's just their advertising & setup that strikes me as very "Kenpo" looking. Let's hear some details (from non-Shou Shu folks who have witnessed this stuff). T.

the vids a ck show the attack methods to be almost entirely short range.

there also seems to be a favouring of a right leg spinning hook kick.

all vids were done with complying partners so it was basically hard to judge by look alone.

kempo is generally a little further ranged in its attack although it is not without short range techniques.

The techs in the vids were almost entirely inside the gate attacks.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by cerebus
    It's still Kenpo.
    Salute all,

Actually i posted why it looks like kenpo earlier and some one i believe Kung Lek explained what i meant by principles of the animals. Which i might add is exactly what i was meaning but couldnt put it to words.

Shou Shu looks like kenpo because the art in its original form and instruction was to hard to grasp. so Da' Shifu Sr applied the theory of techniques that he saw in kenpo to teach Shou Shu which greatly increased his student base. Once you recieve your black belt in Shou Shu you are no longer taught with techniques and learn each animal form as it was taught to Da' Shifu Sr. one animal at a time. Which i do not know exactly first hand just through conversation with Shifu's in Shou Shu.

Kung Lek thank you for your insight on the principles post. I actually learned from that one.

Salute,

Shou Shu Blue

I thought the next fraudilant artform would of been a rip off of Shuai Chiao. I predicted pothead army dischargees teaching BCJ as Shaui Chiao. It seems inevitable, right? Never in my wildest dreams did I ever see a clone of Shaolin-Do...its a crazy world...
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest