Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Shou Shu - real or another made-up melange?

OH MY LORD must the madness continue to such linear questions.

All other posts prior to this one are correct except for the individuals involved.

3 Da Shifus
    Da Shifu Al Moore Sr - passed away Jan 2nd 2002
    Da Shifu Ralph Moore
    Da Shifu Al Moore Jr

2 - 7th Degrees

Shun Shifu Parkins - Actively Teaching (40yrs in System)

Shun Shifu Clark - Active in the system just not running a school.

2- 6th Degrees Both active in the system and one has 20 yrs in the system.

Now notice i say system i was corrected on this today i said style and was told no Moores Shou Shu is a family name and it is a Fighting System Based on the 7 animals. The history well they can prove it and whether you believe it or not that is up to the individual. The actual Name is Moores Shou Shu Karate. The karate part is from again posted earlier, when the public didnt recognize Kung Fu or Martial Arts as self defense names, but Karate they knew and could associate with. So came the name. Again this was in the 50's and 60's. Da Shifu Jr was taught by his father. Da Shifu Sr and Da Shifu Ralph were co Founders of the System.

Now im done with this forum i have said enough to turn my face Blue.

Peace

Salute,

Shou Shu Blue
    Last edited by Shou Shu Blue; 11-26-2003 at 03:52 PM.
    Fear Makes You Hesitate, Make Fear Your Allie and Make Your Enemy Hesistate!

And he road off into the sunset.

He taught us so much, and yet so little.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

I think very few, if any, CMA practitioners would classify Kempo as a Chinese art. Being influenced by CMAs at an early developmental stage of its history does not necessarily make it a CMA itself. It still remains that it looks and plays differently to most CMA, and Shaolin MA in particular. Just like Karate, it works more like a Japanese system than a Chinese one, and would thus be more accurately called a Japanese art.
    Last edited by anton; 11-26-2003 at 06:51 PM.
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

ditto

1) does Laide mean Lady?

2) are you feeling pretty today?

3) how do you like me so far?

Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"

Originally posted by anton
    I think very few, if any, CMA practitioners would classify Kempo as a Chinese art. Being influenced by CMAs at an early developmental stage of its history does not necessarily make it a CMA itself. It still remains that it looks and plays differently to most CMA, and Shaolin MA in particular. Just like Karate, it works more like a Japanese system than a Chinese one, and would thus be more accurately called a Japanese art.
    Professor Chow contributed much of what is now Kenpo, he was chinese and trained by his father, a priest of the shaolin temple.

Kenpo.

Kempo v Kenpo

Which is it? From practicing in OMA, and always seen stuff spellled "-ken," is Kenpo the general romanization, or is Ed Parker's style different from those who practice "kempo?"
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Originally posted by Indestructible
    cut and pasted from GM Al Tracys website:

Since its introduction to Japan from China in the early 1200's, "Kenpo/Kosho" has always been a Family Art. Passed down through 20 generations of Yoshida "Great Grand Masters"!

Super. Not saying it's wrong, not saying it's right. Great Grand Master? Isn't that a level of Super-Saiyan?

I know the Japanese have made it their own
    Indeed. Is kenpo/kempo.

, but it remains a chinese art.
    How? If something is made into something else, how can it still be that which it was before?

Karate has loose ties to a few southern styles of kung fu. Gojuryu is a style of karate heavily influenced by it. The Japanese karate practitioner Gogen Yamaguchi studied in Okinawa, brought it to Japan, and we ended up with Japanese Gojuryu. This makes it neither CMA nor OMA. It's JMA. Same goes for Kenpo/Kempo. Without the middle-man, though.

Not real big on the history things, though. It's impossible to find any martial history down here in Hel . . . south arkansas, and the stuff on the internet tends not to check out on a 4-Point reference check.

What was I posting for?

Peace and Good Training

Heh, heh! Wow, this could be a looong answer but I'll try to keep it short. There are MANY different MAs using the name "Kempo" or "Kenpo" (which means, "Fist Law"). Both are written the same in Chinese & Japanese, it's just that different schools write them differently in English. In Japan, the best-known is Shorinji Kempo which looks like a cross between Karate & Jujitsu. In Okinawa there are a few different Okinawan Karate Schools calling their art "Kenpo" or "Kempo" (Funakoshi Gichin, the founder of Shotokan, originally referred to his art as Kempo). In the U.S. there are also many schools deriving from the Wlliam Kwai Sun Chow/ James Mitose lineage (which tend to be combinations of Kung Fu, Karate & Jujitsu). Of these, the best known are Sam Kuoha's Kara Ho Kempo, Ed Parker's American Kenpo, Ralph Castro's Shaolin Kenpo and Fred Villari's Shaolin Kempo. Oh, and then there the uncountable numbers of former Kempo/ Kenpo guys who have gone on to create their own things with more names than one would care to know (Shou Shu anyone?) Whew! Hope that helps.

I suppose if it's a Japanese word it would be "kenpo" cos you can't write "kempo" in hiragana... (maybe )
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

From what i understand the word is written Kenpo but pronounced Kempo no matter how it is spelled.

Heh, heh. Kem/npo !

Originally posted by cerebus
    Heh, heh. Kem/npo !
    BRAVO!

For no good reason

throwing out a good ol' ttt with a healthy dose of kkm for this mother.

Peace.