Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Shou Shu - real or another made-up melange?

Originally posted by turbo76
    o thank you God for all your good advice, any other advice theye Holy One.
    er, who are you talking to?
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

he's talking to me, for i am god. And he will be smoten for his sarcasm.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

Originally posted by joedoe

Despite what my signature says , ignorance is a pretty poor excuse for helping prop up a lie. Shouldn't the instructors try to learn more about the art by themselves? I know I try to learn more about the history of Ngor Chor as much as I can.

To me, trying to find out about the history of my art enhances my enthusiasm and enjoyment of the art. Maybe I am just a wierdo

So far my research has turned up 2 slightly different versions of the art's history, however that doesn't mean I simply accepted the history told to me by my sihings. And my quest continues .
    yeah, that is true to a large degree...If it were me I would always be asking questions--but that's just my nature..some other ppl aren't like that and may be more naive, which is why I can imagine people unintentionally supporting a lie.

If someone hasn't done martial arts before and they see this amazing thing called shou shu and he's so impressed with the people there and the style and 'convinced' of its effectiveness, he may not have too many doubts that it is the most devestating martial art in existance.

It is as a result of not walking outside the box to see other perspectives that limit his understanding of what is 'really' out there.

Last edited by turbo76; 06-02-2004 at 12:07 PM.

turbo

Hi. AS you must know, this is a pretty well-informed group of people who post here, and the overwhelming response to your schools's claims has been absolutely sceptical, from people from all different styles.
    You say you know there's something fishy about your sifu's claims, yet you still enjoy what you're learning.
    Fine, that's good. So what more do you want from this thread?

Originally posted by turbo76
    maybe you should reread my posts again and again and again and again, maybe youll get it. i dont have blind faith, duh
    I'm not referring to you specifically. I was just giving an example of how someone could think in a situation like that. I'm not saying YOU thought like that.

Sorry if I seemed to directly implicate you in that post.

Last edited by turbo76; 06-02-2004 at 12:07 PM.

turbo

What other martial arts are avilable to you in your area?

Red face Similar character traits as Temple KF supporters

Turbo is exhibiting similar responses & character traits as the 'blinders on' Temple KF supporters, when asked a direct question or confronted with evidence they almost never give a direct answer. Usually the most get is, 'well it's a really good workout, super effective (in their limited experience), the teacher is really wonderful, blah, blah, blah...

Long & short, it ain't true verfiable Chinese Martial Art style (Shou Shu, Temple, Shaolin Do, etc...)!

Regarding My Earlier Posts and Shou Shu

I posted earlier in this thread defending Shou Shu. That was when Da Shifu Sr. was still alive and teaching. I do not however support Da Shifu Jr. or the other "new" masters of "shou shu" as they do not teach the same art any longer and I would not want to learn from them, they may be able to take me out in a heart beat but I would not personally call them master.

As to shou shu, Da Shifu Sr. taught a good art that had many roots.. and that is all there is to it. There are many other arts out there some work some don't and some are just good excercise. make your own choices and judge for yourself, I have.

I no longer pratice with the Moore's Family...but I still respect Ralph Moore Sr and his memory.

~smogwax
    Eric ԿԬ

Re: Regarding My Earlier Posts and Shou Shu

Originally posted by smogwax
    I posted earlier in this thread defending Shou Shu. That was when Da Shifu Sr. was still alive and teaching. I do not however support Da Shifu Jr. or the other "new" masters of "shou shu" as they do not teach the same art any longer and I would not want to learn from them, they may be able to take me out in a heart beat but I would not personally call them master.

As to shou shu, Da Shifu Sr. taught a good art that had many roots.. and that is all there is to it. There are many other arts out there some work some don't and some are just good excercise. make your own choices and judge for yourself, I have.

I no longer pratice with the Moore's Family...but I still respect Ralph Moore Sr and his memory.

~smogwax
    If they aren't teaching the same art any longer, what are they teaching instead?--and what is wrong with what they teach that makes it so inferior to what your old teacher taught?

Also, were you guys doing much sparring back then?

And lastly, what martial art are you trying to learn instead of shou shu?

Don't Know Don't Care

So I do not know what they are teaching now, I do know they changed the beast forms to something else...

As to inferiority... I never said it was better or worse, I said I would not learn from them, mainly because I will not learn from someone I do not respect, furthermore the ability to kick butt does not define respect in and of itself, so they may be good now, but I will never know because I will not learn from them and they do not spar with other arts as far as I know, if someone outside the art who is a serious student of martial arts has an opprotunity to spar with them I am sure they can fill you in on the effectiveness, but it will not be me.

As to sparring there were many of us in the school who would seek out opprtunities to spar with each other and other schools.. you win a few you lose a few...

Currently I am not studying because I am recovering from knee surgery, in a couple months I will be back in training, I do not want to rush it though as knee injuries are very serious things, and as this is my 3rd surgury I would like to heal correctly this time If you have a recommendation as to a direction I am certainly willing to listen to your opinion...
    Eric ԿԬ

Last edited by turbo76; 06-02-2004 at 12:08 PM.

sounds like a modren day saga

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Or an old episode of "kung fu".
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash