Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Shou Shu - real or another made-up melange?

Last edited by turbo76; 06-02-2004 at 12:26 PM.

Also forgot to mention the new agey soundtrack in the original clips makes it sound like a bad videogame

Last edited by turbo76; 06-02-2004 at 12:27 PM.

i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

hey smogwax, do you know anything about Da Shifu Jrs trip to China in the 90s, a Shifu told me that Da Shifu Jr was one of 200 people invited to China to fight and not showing up wasnt an option. anyway, Da Shifu Jr. fought all 199 and only lost to one person but the cool thing was, he only used mantis, none of the other animals and was crowned head of Kung Fu. just wanted to know if you heard about this or know anything.
    LOL, wtf?!

It's not true, because I was crowned king of kung fu. I won all 199 of my matches using themeecer's golden alligator style. I went through a grueling 6 week intensive training regiment which included iron teeth training, artery biting 101, and the technique that I used to actually win the final match: monkey bites the testicle (I of course brought my gallon of mouth wash). No, it wasn't Jr. who won, it was I, Xiao Shifu III, esq.

That crazy PRC, always searching for the newest best way to sterilize their political prisoners.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Originally posted by shaolin kungfu
    It's easier to leave then make valid points.

Before you leave, please answer some questions...

1) what principles does your art operate on?
    2) are the moore's the only lineage holders of shou shu?
    3) Why don't you care about the history of your school? I would think the fact that a school lies to it's students would be a sign of its validity.
    Answers i know personally,

1) The principles Shou Shu operates on is the Principles of the Seven animals taught. The seven animals taught work well together, they complement each other. Bear, Tiger, Mongoose, Mantis,Cobra, Crane, Dragon. the movement of all these animals working with each other makes Shou Shu.

2) Lineage: Da Shifu Sr was taught by his friends Grandfather, he started at 13 until he went to world war II, he was taught along with several other Chinese adults. After he returned from WWII he found that his Da Shifu wasnt around anymore. The Family Sponsored him to go to china and learn the rest of the style. the style Da Shifu learned was not called Shou Shu in China. Shou Shu is the title Da Shifu Sr gave it. Manderin based from what i have been told. It started out as what Da Shifu was taught and the way he taught it and he refined it over the yrs to what it is today.

3) History: Da Shifu cared about Shou Shu being the best self defense martial arts. Practical street defense, if you get into a fight will Shou Shu work. I can say for me that Shou Shu has worked well. i have gotten into fights with TKD, Kenpo, JJ, Judo and plain street fighters. couldnt tell you the level they were but i did get hit but mostly i won hands down. History is a great thing to know but also learning to protect yourself in a fight is better.

I was told when i got my orange belt in Shou Shu by my Shifu "Congratulations you now know enough to get your butt kicked." he then stated that he meant that as a reality check and not to think i could take on the world. I didnt really start to see what he meant until i got my blue belt. I have not studied Shou Shu in the last 12 yrs and refuse to take another style. Personal reasons only though i trust Shou Shu's effectiveness only because i have used it first hand. Just as anyone else in this forum trusts their style because they use it first hand.

The Actual name of the Moore's system is Moore's Chinese Martial Arts.

New Era Martial arts is not a Moore's School, the owner of that school is being taught Shou Shu by Moore's though.

ShengChi is not affiliated with Moore's. The owner of that school was Taught Shou Shu by Da Shifu Moore Sr before he had passed away last yr.

i hope that answers some of your questions. If you are wanting to flame me for giving you the information i know and have first hand knowledge of and not getting on my soap box. then so be it.

Shou Shu Blue
    Fear Makes You Hesitate, Make Fear Your Allie and Make Your Enemy Hesistate!

1) The principles Shou Shu operates on is the Principles of the Seven animals taught. The seven animals taught work well together, they complement each other. Bear, Tiger, Mongoose, Mantis,Cobra, Crane, Dragon. the movement of all these animals working with each other makes Shou Shu.
    If you're serious and not just yanking people's chains, you need to go further than this. In and of itself, listing a bunch of animals is kind of meaningless.

In terms everyone can understand, what are the principles? Not in terms that someone who already trains in this style and already agrees with you would understand.

Does that make sense?

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Originally posted by turbo76
    i dont think the history is made up, or he would say he created Shou Shu because you can tell its not Kenpo and id say that its a lot more effective than Kenpo and that would make him a bigger genius than Parker.
    The Style Da Shifu Sr. learned was similiar to the style if not the same as Da Shifu Schaeffer (Far East Fighting Arts). they were friends or at least knew each other well. They were both taught in China Town before WWII. they learned from different families though. So although the styles may be the same they were taught differently by each family.

History dont know about the validity of it. Da Shifu Schaeffer teaches his style in its pure form no techniques no center line stance etc..... strikes blocks and etc are taught without technique based instruction. each movement taught until the student gets it right. Da Shifu Sr. tried this as well, wasnt getting very many students stay so what Da Shifu Sr did was incorporate Kenpo's theory of the technique to teach strikes, kicks etc...... and place the movment and principles of the animals from Shou Shu in technique based teaching. Da Shifu Sr taught that you learn techniques to learn Shou Shu. When in a street fight you wont use the techniques, you will use the movement and strikes of animals being taught.

Because Da Shifu Sr incorporated this thoery into the way he taught Shou Shu more students stayed and therefore the building block for Moores Chinese Martial Arts. Over the course of the yrs Da Shifu Sr streamlined the art (best decription i could give) to fit real life situations. he didnt care about tournaments and such. He cared about teaching a art that was effective.

As you progressed through the ranks in Shou Shu the techniques became less like techniques and more like animal forms. Once you passed your Black Belt test you were then taught each animal individually in a Form. once all seven were mastered then 8th degree would be the combination of all. Shun Shifu Clark is the only 7th Degree Black belt that was awarded under Da Shifu Sr.

I do agree that an art should be preserved and knowledge taught. Keeping an art to yourself only kills it. Regardless if they are family or not if they wish to learn and you are teaching them teach them everything.

Shou Shu Blue
    Last edited by Shou Shu Blue; 11-13-2003 at 03:44 PM.

Originally posted by apoweyn

If you're serious and not just yanking people's chains, you need to go further than this. In and of itself, listing a bunch of animals is kind of meaningless.

In terms everyone can understand, what are the principles? Not in terms that someone who already trains in this style and already agrees with you would understand.

Does that make sense?

Stuart B.
    Stuart,

I completely understand, Now i am no where near black belt but i will try.

Think of a cobra about to strike its prey or defend itself. the movement of that animals strike is then portrayed in a hand strike. from the wrist to the finger tips. a rattle snake strikes differently than a cobra.

How these animals fight in their own world those principles were at some point in time applied to MA. Thus creating the seven animals. A bear fights differently than a tiger, and the movement of a mongoose is different than a crane. Shou Shu is based on the fighting styles of those seven animals.

did that help.

Shou Shu Blue

So how does a mongoose fight?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.