Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Shou Shu - real or another made-up melange?

During this time, Da Mo, traveled the Wu Tang Mountains (Not to be confused with Wu Dang, the root of Wu Shu).

http://www.shengchikungfu.com/history.shtml
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Anybody check out the Moores Shou Shu site lately? Pretty funny, pseudo-ominous page is up...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Rikki Tikki Tavi Style

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shou Shu Blue
    [B]

Size and strength are unnecessary when fighting in the way of the mongoose.

SB - I am a not a big guy at all. 5'7" 150lbs. I have practiced Shaolin Do for ten years. Since I'm a practitioner of possibly the most debated art on this forum, I'll make no comments concerning the history of your art. I do take issue with the theories behind your mongoose style. It all sounds really cool typed out on the internet. However, I'd like to see some video of a mongoose stylist of say my demensions working against a fighter of say 6'1" 220lb. demensions. I have done this. I got my azz summarily handed to me on a silver platter complete with attractive garnish. Size and strength are EXTREMELY important in ANY combat situation. In a life or death situation the only way a smaller person will defeat a larger person is with a weapon, or A LOT of skill and luck. It is highly unlikely in a real fight that a person of smaller stature will get close enough to land the "lethal strikes" you spoke of. All of the techniques I utilize are zero distance. I speak from experience when I say, it's easier said than done. Unless you guys do some seriously aggressive sparring that you haven't mentioned, I'd be leary of testing my Rikki Tikki Tavi style on the street.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

DAYUM!
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Not Flaming Or Being A Troll

SB - My above post was not meant to be a flame, or me trolling. We had another guy with Cerebral Palsy (which I have) come into our school. He walked with the aid of a cane. He had been studying another style, and was not happy because the classes were primarily composed of children. His instructor was teaching him various ways to fight with his cane. While his cane was necessary, he was not 100% dependant upon it for mobility. Well, my instructor said, "First I'm going to teach you how to defend yourself without the cane." The guy of course asked why. Master Price replied, "In the street the first thing someone is going to do is snatch that cane out of your hand and hit you with it." The guy did not like this at all. He got his feelings hurt and left. About six months later he called our school asking if we were interested in letting him teach. He had apparently went and became a "master of Chin Na". My point to this story is, that promising smaller and weaker individuals that they will be able to do amazing things against people significantly larger than themselves is dangerous. It instills a false sense of confidence that could ultimately get them hurt or killed. I have been taught very effective techniques. I have also been taught to have the good sense to know when to run my bent azz to the house. I have ABSOLUTELY no delusions about my capabilities. I hope whatever you guys are teaching comes with a healthy dose of realism. Peace.
    Last edited by BentMonk; 11-17-2003 at 01:11 PM.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Originally posted by Indestructible
    The mongoose fights very close to its opponent, and avoids any direct, head-on engagement. When you fight in the style of the mongoose, you do not fight head to head, toe to toe. To my knowledge, the mongoose will not block, but will parry and evade. You evade around or under your opponent and strike from the side and back.
    Once again, I stress that my knowledge of mongoose is limited, but I believe I have the theory correct. Size and strength are important, but skill, in my humble opinion, can overcome both.
    I must be stupid or something, but aren't most 'blocks' in MA what would be more correctly termed a 'parry' anyway?

And skill is important only if you are able to apply that skill.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

For us, a parry is a redirection, changing the direction of a punch without stopping it. A block is stopping the strike with an equal or greater amount of force of your own.

Your right, if you cannot apply it, it is not a skill. Not in a sense that matters to a martial artist that is.
    *For you and everyone else. JD didn't say blocks and parries were the same thing. He said "most" blocks were in effect parries.

**So in what sense is anything a skill if you cannot apply it?

I'm not bashing here. I'm just trying to figure out what you're trying to say.
    Last edited by BentMonk; 11-17-2003 at 05:24 PM.

www.bentmonk.com

Under those definitions, the only punch I can think of that you can block is a roundhouse. Everything else pretty much has to be parried, unless you have attained a high level of ability to catch punches head on.

As for kicks, you have to be pretty sure of your ability to try and block one with your hands.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

I agree with joedoe, I find it entirely too easy to kick through a block. Although, a roundhouse is a kick
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Never heard of a roundhouse punch?

We might be misunderstanding each other here somewhat. I can assure you, I don't catch any punches. I feel I can block just about any punch; hook, strait, uppercut, etc. When someone punches at me, I attack the arm that punch is attached to, not catch any fists. I stop that strike from hitting me. When I parry I move to the outside or under the punch and my parry hand may not even touch the punch, or just redirect it slightly. So my parry never stops the punch.
    Kicks are a whole different subject. I've trained to block kicks, but I agree its better to evade.
    Whether you step to the side or not, if you redirect the attack it is a parry - your own definition. Blocking the attack is stopping it by using opposing force, and there are very few situations where it is possible to do that. If you step out of the way without contacting, then how is that a parry? That to me is a dodge.

Originally posted by joedoe
    Never heard of a roundhouse punch?

Well, I heard of a haymaker!

Originally posted by joedoe

Whether you step to the side or not, if you redirect the attack it is a parry - your own definition. Blocking the attack is stopping it by using opposing force, and there are very few situations where it is possible to do that. If you step out of the way without contacting, then how is that a parry? That to me is a dodge.
    I can accept that. If I'm fast enough I won't need to parry, just evade, dodge ,whatever you want to call it. What I'm trying to get accross is that when I parry, I will try to evade at the same time in order to better position myself to strike back.

Fair enough

I still don't understand your explanation of mongoose( or shou shou in general).
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash