Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Shou Shu - real or another made-up melange?

I would just like to mention that this Thread is SIX frik'n years old!!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Like you've never TTTed an old thread
    Bless you

Thumbs down

He created an account just to TTT this thread
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Yeah, I noticed that too.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

so, shou shu, another fulun gong?
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    He created an account just to TTT this thread
    yeah that is a big thumbs down.

I like old ttt-ed threads

I'm only disappointed that shifu sullivan doesn't have much more to add... so far.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i wouldnt say that martial arts originated any where in specific.

more likely i would say some thing regarding egyptians and martial arts like:

"There has been evidence recovered to the effect that there may have been a systematic form of martial arts in ancient egypt. This very well could be the oldest found civilization with documentation showing systematically practiced martial arts among its people"

thats how i would phrase that, otherwise we are simply speculating and putting forth theory, regardless of how much evidence is in play, we still have no concrete answers on the subject.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Shou Shu Family Tree

Mr Lee http://www.bokfudo.com/BokFuDoHistory.aspx

Developing the system of Bok-Fu-Do has and continues to be my life’s work. When I first opened the Castro Valley school in 1967 I was teaching the Tracy system of Kenpo as taught to him by Ed Parker. The school grew so quickly that I decided to open another in Dublin and shortly thereafter a third in Walnut Creek. By the early 1970’s I was operating six schools and had many students that earned their black belts with me under the Tracy system of Kenpo.

The black belts that I produced after 1972 were the first Bok-Fu black belts.

http://www.bokfudo.com/HallOfFame1960s.aspx

Bok Fu Do - 1960s
    History

The following names are a complete list of outstanding world class Black Belt men and women,
    dating back to the 1960's,
    Richard Lee Black Belts 1960's (Tracy System)

Pat Douglas
    Glen Hasstedt
    Al Moore
    Ralph Moore

http://www.bokfudo.com/HallOfFame1970s.aspx

Richard Lee Black Belts 1970's (Now Bok Fu Do)

Bill Kelly
    Ron Lee
    John Simmons * *
    Rich Brown *
    Rich Buford
    Terry Kane *
    Gerry Kawaguchi *
    Mark Miller *
    Herb Cody *
    Mike Adair * w
    Mark Vanderpool *
    John Coen *
    Steve Gaudenzi *
    Tony Ito *
    Robert Ito
    Jim Kane
    Tyler Hanamura
    Johnny Hein
    Al Moore Jr.
    Tom Amaral

This is what Grandmaster Al Tracy, Steve Labounty, Ted Sumner, Brian Hawkins have said over the years, and now by Grandmaster Richard Lee. Al and Ralph studied under the Tracy kenpo system and was developed, recognized, and certified by Grandmaster Richard Lee.

Mr Moore and Family Trained under GM Richard Lee in the Tracy Chinese Kenpo system and then Al Moore Jr AKA Jung moon in the 1967 Bok Fu system. Moved to small town USA and started the Lost Art of Shou Shu.

No Chinese Mafia etc,etc,etc.

http://shoushuhistory.myblogvoice.com/ Use yahoo search for Al Moore's Shou Shu History
    Last edited by L.Waters; 10-12-2007 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    I would just like to mention that this Thread is SIX frik'n years old!!
    It's because classics never die!!
    The sign over the toilet says:
    "Do NOT eat the big white mints!"

I give it a 10 on the WGF meter

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

cjurakpt Guest
    Dave, you are precipitously close to 5K posts there man!

Fyi

http://silvertigerkungfu.com/SilverT...formation.html

ABOUT GRANDSHIFU SUTHERBY.

Grandshifu Sutherby created Silver Tiger Kung-Fu in Portland, Oregon in 1979. His interest in the martial arts began long before that, at the age of 16, when he learned hand-to-hand combat from his uncle, an instructor for the Marine Corp. In 1960, Grandshifu Sutherby joined the Navy and, over the course of his two tours of duty, was stationed in Taiwan, Japan, the Philippines, Vietnam, and finally Guam, where he served aboard a nuclear sub tender. These military and overseas experiences afforded him the opportunity to further his studies in both external and internal styles of the martial arts.

After leaving the military in 1971, Sutherby moved to central California. Anxious to continue his studies in the martial arts, he started researching the schools in the area. He hoped to find a studio that taught something similar to what he learned overseas.

He found Moore's Karate, overseen by Da Shifu Al Moore, Sr. At that time, Da Shifu Moore taught Kempo, and Sutherby studied this for the first year. Then Da Shifu Moore created the art of Shou Shu,

turning away from the hardness of the external styles to focus instead on the softer movement of the internal styles. Sutherby was privileged to both witness and be a part of this change. After studying with Da Shifu Moore and other senior black belts, Sutherby obtained his 1st degree black belt.

At the end of 1978, he had to make a career move to Oregon and so he was forced to end his studies with Da Shifu Al Moore. In Oregon, he once again searched for a martial arts studio, trying to find something comparable to what he had been taught in California. In this he was unsuccessful. Therefore, he decided to put all of his training and research to use. Confident that he was ready to open his own studio, Silver Tiger Kung-Fu was born. To this day, Grandshifu Sutherby continues to research as well as teach the martial arts. He is also writing two books with his fellow students.
    Last edited by L.Waters; 10-28-2007 at 08:17 AM.
    If ignorance is bliss,
    why aren't more people happy?

oh no, please no
    Bless you

My previous review stands the test of time