Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: Shou Shu - real or another made-up melange?

what's wgf? Sorry my internet lingo no fluent comprende!
    Bless you

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    oh no, please no
    I find your lack of faith disturbing...

Why do kenpo guys always want to 'invent' cma styles? it makes no friggin' sense.

I met a 'bok fu pai' kenpo guy when I lived in the Bay Area. Wow. I was stunned. Really stunned. Somebody paid good money to learn that.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

SubTitle

WGF - Who Gives A F____

Not commenting on the thread, just answering a question.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    WGF - Who Gives A F____

thank you sir!
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    Why do kenpo guys always want to 'invent' cma styles? it makes no friggin' sense.

I met a 'bok fu pai' kenpo guy when I lived in the Bay Area. Wow. I was stunned. Really stunned. Somebody paid good money to learn that.
    There is a LOT of Bok Fu Kempo schools out here, at least ou there in the East Bay area.
    The sign over the toilet says:
    "Do NOT eat the big white mints!"

yeah, and all the ones I've seen are pretty funny.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Quote Originally Posted by shifu sullivan View Post
    al moores shou shu is real i would like to inform you thar most all of the material is based upon theory and does take practice to maintain proper chi flow ,,at least as far as ive came to understand. thank you

shifu sullivan
    Thanks for coming.

There's not a smiley that suffices!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

I don't like melange. I prefer sherry trifle.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    Dave, you are precipitously close to 5K posts there man!
    5679 is even more perilously close to 6K posts. There was no logic component on the physiotherapy course I take it?

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    WGF - Who Gives A F____

WGAF sounds better.

Quote Originally Posted by Syre View Post
    I just came across this form called Shou Shu (see http://www.mooresshoushu.com/) which makes all kinds of claims:

<blockquote>Our mission is to carry on the traditions of the most complete fighting art in the world, Shou Shu. We teach a pure martial art which has not been altered from it's true fighting traditions. Shou Shu is the fighting art of the Mandarin warlords who have been the ruling class throughout China's history. It is a rare art mostly unheard of in the typical histories written on martial arts. There are several reasons for this. The first, it was only taught to the eldest son of a Mandarin warlord. In this way it's secrets were kept closely guarded. It is an extremely powerful and sophisticated system which was considered a true treasure to those who trained in it. For this reason it was closely guarded and still is. Secondly, to be called Shou Shu it must have all seven animal systems. There are actually seven systems taught. Each of these systems is a martial art in themselves. Each is based on one of the seven fighting beasts. These are the bear (xiong ) , the tiger (hu ) , the mongoose(you ), the white crane(ba he ), the praying mantis (tang , the cobra (fu) , and the imperial dragon (long ). When these seven systems are combined only then may it rightfully be called Shou Shu. There are many systems out there which teach one or two of these fighting beasts and go by another name.
    </blockquote>

The question is, is this real or another bogus one? Here's some of its supposed history, from a forum on that site (http://mooresshoushu.com/board/viewt...FID=6&TID=13):

<blockquote>When Da' Shifu was a boy, he lived in the bay near Chine Town (I can't remember which one right now). At that time the Chinese didn't have much in the way of police protection and they were targets for criminals. A man was sent from Chine by the name of Lu Chin (spelling?) This man was a Da' Shifu. Being a time of peril, it was decided that Lu Chin would teach the Chinese people in the area so that they could protect themselves from criminals. Da' Shifu's best friend was Jimmy Chin who was Lu Chin's Grandson. Da' Shifu was invited to study.

After WWII, Da' Shifu then went to Chine to complete his education. He studied in what he said was like a college. This was in the town of Tinsin, now called TianJian. Each of the masters specialized in an individual beast.

I doubt that Shou Shu has been evolved from any of the modern arts. I would think of the evolution of the martial arts a little differently. For the most part they all originated in Egypt. At that time they were probably very basic. Lots of wrestling. They were then further developed in India. Eventually they made their way to China. I'm sure that along the way there were many different schools of thought. Each of these broke off and formed their own art. Each evolving in their own way. This is why if you compare some of the things that you see in other arts to Shou Shu, you can see some similarities but they are very far removed.
    </blockquote>

Hmm.. here's a picture of their chief master "Da Shifu" (the shifu? as in "Da Mayor"?) http://www.mooresshoushu.com/dashifu.shtml

I dunno... seems fishy, but maybe someone here knows one way or the other.
    It's a total load of crap.
    Mandarin Warlords? hah, ahah. Any person who studied anything to do with China will laugh at this contraction in terms!

Mandarin is a class of people, why not just say Chinese warlords, the mandarins were high government officials or bureaucrats, having influence or high status in intellectual or cultural circles.

SO, a Mandarin warlord would be a fancy government official with a part time job as a private army general?
    Aha, hah.

Shou Shu in Chinese means hand methods, so what, every MA is that.

There are no mongoose nor cobra anywhere in China, only India.

7 is a western idea number, Chinese is 5 (lao tzu), 8 (taoist), or 9 (buddhist).

It's just some hodgepodge village KF stuff, that some westerner added their uneducated blah blah blah. You can always tell when someone that never went to college tries to write stuff to sound intellectual, they have no clue how to and make things sound so bizarre .

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    5679 is even more perilously close to 6K posts. There was no logic component on the physiotherapy course I take it
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt - you are joking, right? or are you really that clueless (maybe there was no reading comprehension component for your 4th grade English course)?

well at least 'reply guy' didn't start a new thread
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt - you are joking, right?
    I am an archetypal glove puppet renowned for cynicism, anarchism, nihilism and random acts of inexplicable violence that serve no-one... or am I?

The possibilities are endless.

or are you really that clueless (maybe there was no reading comprehension component for your 4th grade English course)?
    but please, anything but the soft cushions!

Someone trying to "debunk" the Shou Shu myth over at MAP: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...ad.php?t=55610

Check out the more recent posts. Basically derived from American kenpo.

The thread starter also maintains a blog: http://shoushuhistory.myblogvoice.com/