Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Shou Shu - real or another made-up melange?

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    Yes it is a mix of two languages. Never said it wasn't. Bok Fu Kenpo (White Tiger Fist) was the original name, taken from an article about GM Lee when he was in Tapei in 1972. http://www.bokfudo.com/magazine.html

The Do was added in 1994 at the urging of General Wu and General Chen of the ICKF based in Taiwan, and GM Huang, Chen-Liang of Tien Shan Pai, and GM Al Tracy of Tracy Kenpo. In addition, Shotokan was where GM Lee got his first BB, and the "Do" pays homage to that. The ICKF recognizes Bok Fu Do as a system of Chinese martial arts that was developed in the west. Note that I don't call it TCMA, because it isn't.

No hidden agenda here, or an attempt to claim Bok Fu Do is something it isn't. I'm just trying to provide facts to a discussion that involves my school.
    As for "empty forms" I agree 100%. A student at one of the three schools that teach Bok Fu Do know what the form means, not just what the moves are. Techniques are the same way. Anything else would be a waste of time and money.

bok fu do

This thread is not going to die.

About 7 years ago, I actually visited the Bok Fu Do school in Alamo. I never heard of Bok Fu Do before though a Chinese lady told me that Bok Fu was interpreted to be white tiger (which is true). Instead I decided to learn the Tiger Crane (Hung Kuen) style taught by the Caucasian Sifu in Walnut Creek. His lineage can be traced to the Lam Family Tiger Crane and approved by GM Lam Cho and sons. Also, he learned from YC Wong. Later he quit teaching and I decided on CLF, which was what I originally learned 25+ years ago and still learning currently.

The question I have: does CMA have to be developed by a Chinese to be CMA or can it be developed by non Chinese? Also, I believe anybody can be paid to authenticate something to be CMA.

GM Richard Lee was formerly Richard Couvelier. The name change was to appear more Chinese (Google Richard Lee, Martialtalk.com). You do the math.

Bok Fu Do seems to work for their students as well as Karate for the Karate students or Kempo for Kempo students.