Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Shou Shu - real or another made-up melange?

smogwax Guest
    gfhegel21,
    Actually, we did not come here saying anything. Someone from this forum starting bagging on our studio with out knowing what they were talking about and I decided to sign up and defend something that I believe in. Shun Shifu Weaver felt the need to make a blanket statement telling all those who started the thread what he thought of them and any one who would attempt to judge our art. You don't want to here it, then you should not have started it. I believe it is irresponsible to put down any art in the first place.

NHB is good experience, But I do not train to compete I train to learn, I also spar to learn. I am not interested in making big money in fighting, I am a programmer and I make plenty of money at what I am doing with out showing that I can take a punch on a regular basis. There are many underground NHB fights one can attend and if one so chooses. An agent will pick you if you are good. Not interested, nothing to do with anything other than I am not interested. Maybe a fight once in a while for practice but that is all.

It matters if you train because that changes your perspective on other arts. I also go to school full time while working a web development job full time and I always find time to train and I always will that is my level of commitment.

What it comes down to is, if you do not train then I can not learn from you, so I am not interested in further debate.
    Regards,

Eric Ô¿Ô¬

Braden Guest
    Smog - I was more looking for specifics. For example, you say you emphasize posture - but what posture? How specifically do you train it? My email is in my profile if you want to contact me privately.

Although in truth, I was less interested personally with your style and more interested with providing a rational means by which you and others can defend your claims. If you have legitimate martial or physical knowledge, then you should be able to share some of it, even across so limited a medium as this.

smogwax Guest
    Braden,

Thank You for your honesty, but I do not need to defend our training specifics as no one has brought up any except for your general topic to which you are not interested. Most have made bold comments based on personal bias; I do appreciate your even demeanor though. It is so easy to venture into self-righteousness on anonymous forums.

Train Hard,

Eric Ô¿Ô¬

Braden Guest
    smog - I don't have any opinions one way or another regarding your style. I think the history is blatantly fictional, which is the primary reason your martial art is being critiqued. However, the history really doesn't imply anything about the art.

I would just rather see a) People defend their arts with specifics, thus demonstrating that they do have some knowledge, and b) People critiquing with reference to these specifics. Such an approach, I believe, is always more enjoyable and productive both for the participants and the readers, than the approach we see here and most elsewhere.

gfhegel21 Guest
    Whatever. If you're happy with it, then no one has any business trying to pull you down. I hope it turns out to be everything you believe it will be.

friday Guest
    regardless of what style that form is from it looks ok.

Never heard of Shou Shu but doesn't mean its not good.

If the big sifu has made up the history behind it then he is a fraud and a lier. I doubt anyone can check the validity of this style except perhaps a historian. If its real great if its not...i disrespect dishonesty. I would like to find out more information about this style from an independent source.

regards,

smogwax Guest
    Thank You All,

My only intention on this forum is to stop blatant bashing of my art, that is why I signed up and will not be posting once this thread dies. I do appreciate all of your time and effort.

On a side note: History has always been manipulated to the needs of the predominant people. Look at our own American history books and how they down played the plight of American Indians and slaves for years, only now is the government and school systems acknowledging that anything happen at all. Likewise my Grand Master was an American in China when the communist ousted all of the Americans and stopped martial training as best they could. All history we have now is underground word of mouth and temples. The Chinese government spent a large amount of money attempting to alter that history; luckily for all of us they did not succeed. We cannot at the same time deny the impact of such sweeping actions. I have spoken with some of the Old Timers and they know, go to golden gate park and speak with some of the elderly masters who were there, then you will know. At least you will know the history according to that master, they all intersect at points.

If any body knows of a credible source of Martial History I would be interested in reading it. Of course I would be looking for an unbiased history, (for example) a history by the Shaolin temple would be biased. The problem with martial history is the family nature of it all. I read my own family history book and this becomes evident to me. I can trace my name back hundreds of years into Prussia and beyond and all of my 15 generations of American history on both sides but have you ever heard of Frolkey? I can guarantee you that anyone who spells their name that way is my relative but if I showed you the history books would you think it was real, or would I have to be rich an successful in order to be able top trace my American lineage back to Salem. Hell, the government in Massachusetts only this week acknowledges the wrong they did to my maternal Great Grandmother. I have been telling people for years the story of my Great Grandmother and they all thought I was crazy. But after this weeks announcement about the wrongs done to innocent women in Salem, I have suddenly had people come to me and say “oh, you were serious,” History?? Interesting word but that is all to me.

Thank you for your time,

Eric Ô¿Ô¬

Alvar Guest

smogwax/Eric

"you do know the difference between Martial Arts and an Aerobics Workout"

Sure, I do! ;)

smogwax Guest
    alvar,
    Cool, me too ;)

Eric Ô¿Ô¬

not to drag this one on any longer, but

I don't do this style called 'Shou Shu', but thought this statement made here early in this thread needed some clarification:

Here's a real concrete way to go about this, what the heck is "Shou Shu"? In Mandarin one might assume it means "Hand Art" but not only does that sound darn goffy, it isn't correct Mandarin either really. It sure isn't Cantonese dialect.
    I think the writer of these words should go back to study some more Chinese. Shoushu is the standard mandarin word for surgery. its not 'goofy' and it is absolutely correct mandarin.

Just something to think about.

Man I am soo late

How did this get by me?

>> Masters have flown from China and Japan to study from Da' Shifu. He is knowledgeable enough to corect them in their own arts and I have seen this. <<
    What masters are those?
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Well my cousin does shou shu and says that he has found it to be much better/practical than the karate classes he was attending previously.

He also said that it's definitely not kenpo...but I dunno : /

Smile

Last edited by turbo76; 06-02-2004 at 11:48 AM.

Re: not to drag this one on any longer, but

Originally posted by shoushu
    I don't do this style called 'Shou Shu', but thought this statement made here early in this thread needed some clarification:
    perhaps i'm reading this wrong. you don't do shoushu. but your username is 'shoushu.' and in your profile, under style practiced, it says 'shoushu.'

what am i missing here?

Just something to think about.
    you ain't kidding.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

smogwax,

i feel for you. you seem like a decent guy. and it's only natural that you'd want to defend your choice of a martial art. can't blame you for that. besides, you aren't worried about the history. you're worried about the effectiveness of it. and none of us can really debate that without experiencing it. so power to you.

that said, master phil's contribution makes me very leery of this style and school. i'm sorry.

On a side note: History has always been manipulated to the needs of the predominant people.
    are you okay with that? personally, i wouldn't be. a certain amount of distortion is to be expected. but the more deliberate that distortion becomes, the less it's to be accepted. the quotes on this site seem deliberately and directedly distorted to benefit da'shifu. and that makes it suspect to me.

again, i respect your need to defend your school. but i'm going to have to agree that something doesn't smell right.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.