Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: National Geographic on Shaolin

National Geographic on Shaolin

Found a show on youtube called "Myths and Logic of Shaolin Kung Fu."
    Done by National Geographic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpn7gUSUQK8

These guys are very skilled at what they do, but is this genuine Shaolin martial arts? Or is this all really just modern wushu?

Had Shi Deyang on it. Must be legit. I want a copy of that video.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

haven't watched it in a while...

but yes, it shows traditional songshan shaolin kung fu as taught by shi de yang. i believe it showed xiao hong quan or da hong quan or both, and some interesting training sequences. also shows the young students' crazy schedules.

if you want a dvd of it you can get it from netflix or easily order it from many websites.

So are there in fact genuine Shaolin monks after all?

I have become so jaded and cynical since all that Wheel of Life crap that now whenever I see someone in an orange robe I immediately assume they are fakes doing wushu.

The Monk doing the Tai Tzu Long Fist was totally doing the Wushu version.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    Had Shi Deyang on it. Must be legit. I want a copy of that video.
    Netflix has it.
    Mr. T invented fools, then feeling bad about it, invented pity

http://www.cansfordan.com

http://www.fightfordan.com

Netflix it is then. I love that company, they get it to me next day if its available.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis View Post
    but yes, it shows traditional songshan shaolin kung fu as taught by shi de yang. i believe it showed xiao hong quan or da hong quan or both, and some interesting training sequences. also shows the young students' crazy schedules.

if you want a dvd of it you can get it from netflix or easily order it from many websites.
    I downloaded it free from limewire a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    I downloaded it free from limewire a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.
    Communist!

Dude, Lime wire is a file shareing program, it bypasses your firewall, and connects you directly with another's computer through the internet. It automatically opens your system up to anyone useing limewayre as well, and they are free to roam your system and copy whatever file it is they want from you. Which is basically what you did when you used it to down load the files you already have.

I stopped useing it when it searched a ramdom infected computer somewhere and brought that virus back to my system. It was a nasty one too, and I ended up having to strip my operateing system because of it.

You couldn't pay me to have Limewire on my PC now.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 03-11-2007 at 11:10 AM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    So are there in fact genuine Shaolin monks after all?

I have become so jaded and cynical since all that Wheel of Life crap that now whenever I see someone in an orange robe I immediately assume they are fakes doing wushu.

Fakes?? wushu? I disagree. Some people practice both traditional and modern.. Wushu stresses the athletic and "traditional" the fighting, however both have the same source in traditional styles. True there are many 'Performance' monks... however not everyone can be lumped into this category.

Wheel of Life was pretty darn cool. Some people just don't know how to have fun anymore

Dude, Lime wire is a file shareing program, it bypasses your firewall, and connects you directly with another's computer through the internet. It automatically opens your system up to anyone useing limewayre as well, and they are free to roam your system and copy whatever file it is they want from you. Which is basically what you did when you used it to down load the files you already have.
    In Limewire (at least the current version) you designate which folder people can download from (usually a "shared" folder) or whether they can download from you at all. You can set it so no one is allowed to browse any of your folders if you want (some just won't share with people who don't share themselves). Of course you still better have good spy ware and virus protection, because it's always risky to go peer to peer with someone you don't know.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I think a monk can be a real monk and still do modern wushu. Also a monk can be a fake monk, and still know traditional kungfu The two don't have to be related.

It is almost a Shi Heng Jun school video. My SiFu Shi Yan Bin (Li Cun Bin) its the one that it is doing the pu dao.

The kid doing xiao hong chuan was his student.

Shi Heng Jun studied with the Fa Wang Si Abbot ( i think) so he could have a different flavor.

At that moment, my SiFu was not a shaolin monk.

You can find the video on Youtube also. Ahhh the internet!!!

there are still a couple genuine monks at shaolin. you wont ever see them on tv shows or camera's. they dont do kung fu or anything. you have to remember a lot of these guys arent monks, some martial monks, most disciples.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

hehe...boy could this topic open a can of worms. The monks featured are legit. I believe Shi Hen Jun and De yang were in it and they are monks with schools around Shaolin Village (except I am not sure if De Yang has his own or if he is with the wushu guan). As far as the rest that's a huge debate among martial artists.

shaolinueb said it best. Most of the martial monks (wuseng) are disciples. They are secular in nature but that issue causes waves through the shaolin universe. Again that's another different can of worms too.
    Last edited by Songshan; 03-21-2007 at 02:52 PM.