Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiny students

Tiny students

Just had someone start who's no taller than 5', whose forearm is less than my handspan and whose wrist is about the same as three of my fingers.

Normally I start students on SLT, punching mitts (there are no walls in Japan robust enough to put wall bags on!) and the heavy bag, and breaking down each move from SLT into a two person drill and a bag drill. Lots of repetition, then, by the time they're up to the second section of SLT if it's going smoothly I get them on turning drills and stepping drills etc.

This woman asked me if she could do wing chun and it would be useful for SD... There is no realistic way I could expect her to do a full speed and strength standing pak sao drill for eg without turning or stepping (of course I don't recommend doing pak or any other strike/deflection without putting your hips into it anyway, but as a drill to get the basics of working out how the impact relates to your stance...).

Any tips please gentlemen (ladies? I remember there used to be some round here!)?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

For some of her basics, put her up on a step so she's roughly the same height as her partners, and can learn to handle force coming straight at her. If you don't do that she'll get everyone who works with her leaning over, and she may develop a backwards lean (if she's not under signficant pressure) which will be to the detriment of her stance. Mix that with her on the floor so she translates the mechanics from being on the same level, to being where she usually is, and focus on getting her to feel how to lever under people and use a lower center of gravity with a nice erect posture. Add to that some female self-defense specific standing hold defenses (clumsy masher stuff like the side grab) as a starting point (defending a single is probably not a priority with her), and focus on aggression, elbows, and finding room to get away fast.

There's a bunch of awareness and psychological stuff which is useful too.

Andrew

Mr. Punch,

I have had this (type of) student. I put her through our standard program. The bouncing around during two person exercises will be the experience from which she will draw from to understand how she must use her advantages. Make sure your other students are not malicious, but purposeful with her. Don't worry, if she is determined she will find the way to make the Kung Fu work for her body type. As a beginner, she must be patient and you nor your students must not feel obligated to make special arrangements for her. I agree it would be a good idea that she plays exercises on a horse or from some seated position where she can focus on the hand positions first.

Remember that the Kung Fu becomes dynamic over time. In a static case, yes, she might be very vulnerable to force and power. But over time, as you have mentioned angling and hips (which done properly needs time to develop), she will gain some ability to handle this. Like the Yin and Yang, we must experience the opposite action to understand the action (cannot learn to relax without understanding tension).

Good luck....
    Moy Yat Kung Fu - Martial Intelligence

Create a special Oompa Loompa class!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    For some of her basics, put her up on a step so she's roughly the same height as her partners, and can learn to handle force coming straight at her. If you don't do that she'll get everyone who works with her leaning over, and she may develop a backwards lean (if she's not under signficant pressure) which will be to the detriment of her stance.
    I don't know if that's a good idea... The other students should be able to adapt by using a lower stance, and when she gets a bit more useful, they'll need to know how to react with a small opponent anyway. And while I'll have to make sure she7s not developing a backwards leaning stance (she shouldn't do anyway if she's following what I show her, because that would mean she would be easy to use downward sinking force on to overbalance which'd be easy to note) she'll have to get used to keeping a proper stance against taller opponents from day one, no?
    Mix that with her on the floor so she translates the mechanics from being on the same level, to being where she usually is, and focus on getting her to feel how to lever under people and use a lower center of gravity with a nice erect posture.
    Of course the levering under people and elbows and whatnot are all good advice... so you'd recommend starting her on footwork exercises earlier than 'standard sized'(!) students?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Lindley, I already answered her with the point she's going to need a lot more patience than most. But specifically in order to train the floor-hip-elbow connectivity you need in slt I usually do static drills first, and the things you mention need turning...

For example, a simple pak against a punch strong enough to learn the energies involved for her will put her in serious danger of breaking her wrist. Of course, as I said I don't recommend a static standing pak for anyone when a turn is much safer, but to learn basic forces I always show one first.

It'll be especially interesting when she gets to play with my three bros who're 195, 197 and 199cm or so!

Hey Mr. Punch,
    I saw this and thought I'd post.
    We have a few women who train with us and 2 of them are twins about 18 years old. They don't weigh much more than I'd say 110 lbs, but they are a little taller than 5 feet. Either way, these 2 girls can punch hard. They've been with us for a few years and keep up with the guys. No special treatment, and they'll actually say something if they think you're pulling punches.

The one thing I've noticed about women training, is that there is essentially no ego involved. They accept that they won't be stronger than any of the guys, so they focus on structure, balance, technique, timing ....

Actually the other day I went home with a bunch of bruises on my chest from their tiny fists of fury

BTW, we did have 2 guys with us who were 6 foot 6" and 6 foot 7" and that's a challenge for most people.

J
    Yo mama is so fat, she has jeans made by Jeep

Oh ya, well Yo mama is so fat, she has a blackbelt at McDonald's

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bussey View Post
    Either way, these 2 girls can punch hard. They've been with us for a few years and keep up with the guys. No special treatment, and they'll actually say something if they think you're pulling punches.
    Thanks for the input Jeff.

There's no danger of my giving her special treatment... if you can't hack it she can't hack it: I did say she's going to need more patience and it might not be for her.

I remember many years ago when I was shodan at aikido and in my lineup there was a nikkyu woman of about 5' who got very offended and insulting of me when I didn't throw her full speed and strength. I retorted that it was because I didn't know her, she was small, nikkyus in many schools can't take the breakfalls of nikkyus in our school (renowned for harder practice) and furthermore we were practicing what was essentially a higher-than-nikkyu-level tech on a very crowded mat. She wasn't happy, but I'm afraid to say, women who automatically assume I'm being sexist are being sexist and will get short shrift!

Anyway, maybe she'll be able to punch as hard as the big boys in the next couple of years, but the fact remains, I very much doubt she can take the punishment or the same training as I took when I started... and as I'm currently dishing out to our other beginner, who's a 6'4" weightlifting taekwondo dan-grade with experience in full-contact competition and a budding career in stunts.

And I agree with women's focus being more exacting, I've taught a lot of women in aikido, just not WC. (I've met women in MA with huge egos though, but that's another digression!)

I'm not concerned with the PC aspects at all: I was looking for physical pointers for training her.

You're basically saying that your twins were taught in the same way from scratch as any other beginners?

Hey,

"You're basically saying that your twins were taught in the same way from scratch as any other beginners? "

Yup. Basically you treat them as any other beginner. You wouldn't go all out on someone just starting because there would be no point to it. Just try and stay a little bit above their level (whatever that is, for whatever drill)

As far as being male or female, if you decide to pressure test their stance for example, you'll increase or decrease the amount of pressure you're giving them based on how well they respond to you. Right?

The way I see it, is that we don't have an on or off button, but more like a dimmer switch. We give enough light that's needed, if you need a lot, then turn it all the way on. Otherwise it's a waste of energy.

J
    Yo mama is so fat, she has jeans made by Jeep

Oh ya, well Yo mama is so fat, she has a blackbelt at McDonald's

I don't know if that's a good idea... The other students should be able to adapt by using a lower stance, and when she gets a bit more useful, they'll need to know how to react with a small opponent anyway. And while I'll have to make sure she7s not developing a backwards leaning stance (she shouldn't do anyway if she's following what I show her, because that would mean she would be easy to use downward sinking force on to overbalance which'd be easy to note) she'll have to get used to keeping a proper stance against taller opponents from day one, no?
    5' vs. 6' is not reasonably compensated for by lowering the stance. Someone winds up developing bad habits out of it. If/when she gets to poon sao, it will essentially change the entire dynamic. Put her up on blocks and she'll better feel when people are leaning on her when she's not at the same height and learn to deal with it.

Of course the levering under people and elbows and whatnot are all good advice... so you'd recommend starting her on footwork exercises earlier than 'standard sized'(!) students?
    Much footwork, early, and a lot of work on developing useable weapons.

From a pragmatic standpoint, for self-defense someone that size should learn stick and knife work.

Andrew

Chi Sao all the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    ..... a simple pak against a punch strong enough to learn the energies involved for her will put her in serious danger of breaking her wrist. Of course, as I said I don't recommend a static standing pak for anyone when a turn is much safer, but to learn basic forces I always show one first.
    If you threw her in the deep end she'd be more likely to break a finger because of incorrect timing and contact position rather than her wrist IMO.

IME with 'tiny people', you should expose her to actions like Pak Sao etc from touching positions / drills first. This will build confidence and more important in this case strength in actions. Strength from structure and momentum of horse / body.
    Yu Ma Lik.

Introduce Pak Sao to her at the chi sao / poon sao and lop sao levels, this combined with an accomodating partner and footwork would ease her into it much more and let her "find her own groove" with regard to performing the actions.

Only then adding realistic force, means she can add power to a skill already forged in her natural action bag. Rather than adding skill to force.

Teaching her this way IMO will get quicker and more sound results in regards to her actions contact position and timing / tempo, for non contact position senarios.

Of course as you already mentioned, youd have to intoduce stepping and turning drills and chi sao earlier to her than other students....
    Just my under rated kiwi dollars worth
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

I honestly don't think there'll be a problem. I've had some experience of teaching a girl with very thin wrists (though she was a little taller). It all comes down to the teacher, and the training partners being reasonable--i.e. giving reasonable force. If the partner is trying to kill her with all of their might then there could be a problem (but more likely that she'd get hurt from being punched rather than breaking her wrist). True enough she might sprain her wrist from incorrect positioning when she's doing a pak sau, but that could happen with anyone.

She won't lean back provided the partner isn't trying to punch through her head each time.

I'm not so sure it's necessary to teach her turning first. I think it will take some more time before she's able to practically use her kung fu, but with time she could be strong (though I haven't seen her of course... I could be wrong!).

Anyway, it's always the short ones you've got to worry about, they can be the most scary!

There is just something about this thread that creeps me out...

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    From a pragmatic standpoint, for self-defense someone that size should learn stick and knife work.
    Andrew, carrying a knife is not practical in Japan. Or are you referring only to knife 'defenses'?

Quote Originally Posted by Sekabin View Post
    Andrew, carrying a knife is not practical in Japan. Or are you referring only to knife 'defenses'?
    Do you mean with "not practical" not allowed by law? If so, then go with pepperspray (I assume guns are also not allowed... sigh...).

Fact is, a really tiny person will most likely be knocked out in no time by the street savy average joe. Period.

Of course, it's always better to at least try to do something - but be realistic with that something that you are already going to invest time in.