Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the cost of learning

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    this school has 6 black belts that teach.
    6 BJJ black belts?

wow. You would think some of those guys would be running their own programs by now.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

i think they travel between the different schools the family operates. its cool that the newest school is about .7 miles from my house. the next nearest one would probably take me like 30-40 minutes to get to or more depending on traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    7* that's not uncommon for bjj if there is the a blackbelt at the club.

would you study from a kyu belt? I am confused at your post....

Why? would it be cheaper if there was no BB
    bjj is not like other styles. blue, purple and brown belts are VERY capable of running classes. it is not uncommon. blackbelt teachers in the us are more of a rarity, as it may take ten or more years to attain it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

http://www.thegrapplingblueprint.com/

lol. this has audio on it so make sure your speakers are on.

I beat you all! I pay $200 for 3hrs 5 days a week. I think $100 mth is about average, and I'm well aware I pay twice that but, **** it, it's what I want to do. Oh yeah, and I'm on a 3 year contract!

I$t does make cross training a little problematic, but since I train most days anyways cross training would be a time problem too.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

wow, yeah thats a lot. but its all worth it if you are enjoying it.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    re: the whole blue belt/purple belt/black belt thing

IMHO

BJJ Blue Belt = 3/4 years(?) = CMA brown sash = capable of running classes but not their own school.

BJJ Purple Belt = 4/5 years = CMA 1st black sash = capable of running classes but not their own school

BJJ Brown Belt = 5/7 years = CMA 2nd black sash = capable of running own school but should still be regularly training with their own teacher.

BJJ Black Belt = 10 years = CMA Shifu level = could be considered to be independant of higher level teachers

the point being that I agree with a 10 year plan for fully running and operating your own school and that there are way too many people getting 1st dan's in karate/tkd/kung fu or what have you and opening schools and they just don't have the seasoning for it. I would say the same of any BJJ person under the level of brown.

Sure maybe someone with 4-5 years of training can teach what they know well, but they don't know as much as someone with 7-10 years but unless they have other experience I'm not sure I'd say they should be running a school independantly.

In other words, I'd agree that someone with less than 10 years of training in martial arts could show me something new but I wouldn't commit to them full time as a student.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    the point being that I agree with a 10 year plan for fully running and operating your own school and that there are way too many people getting 1st dan's in karate/tkd/kung fu or what have you and opening schools and they just don't have the seasoning for it. I would say the same of any BJJ person under the level of brown.

Sure maybe someone with 4-5 years of training can teach what they know well, but they don't know as much as someone with 7-10 years but unless they have other experience I'm not sure I'd say they should be running a school independantly.

In other words, I'd agree that someone with less than 10 years of training in martial arts could show me something new but I wouldn't commit to them full time as a student.
    What do you feel that someone who trained for less then ten years lacks that would hinder him from running a school? Do you feel it's martial arts skills, business skills, general knowledge of the martial arts scene, all of these, some of these, or what?
    Last edited by The Xia; 03-14-2007 at 06:26 PM.

the real payment is in time.

money? you can get more money. You can never get more time.

pay more attention to time than money and you will do better. You will use your time better, you will train smarter and the lessons will not be about what it costs. You cannot buy skill anyway and I said it before and ill say it again, someone who is better than you on any level has something to teach you.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    money? you can get more money. You can never get more time.
    But what if someone invented a time machine? Youd need money to buy it!

no you don't. you can just hot wire it. if it that doesnt work steal the rims and hood ornament.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    What do you feel that someone who trained for less then ten years lacks that would hinder him from running a school? Do you feel it's martial arts skills, business skills, general knowledge of the martial arts scene, all of these, some of these, or what?
    all of the above...essentially 'seasoning' of the individual.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

hahahahahahahahahaha i did my first class of BJJ tonight. i can barely type. my fingers are so sore from gripping. omg my muscles are exhausted. awesome workout. but i was doing randori with a blue belt and he did a thing, i think he called it a bicep slice, and now my bicep hurts like a ba$tard. it feels like it has a huge cramp or something. i dunno. what a painful experience. i can't wait to do it again. if i can walk tomorrow i will go back. if i cant walk tomorrow i will go saturday. even if i have to crawl.

lol...good memories...glad you went...glad you liked it...or, you wouldn't be complaining so much

Hey

Hey, Steve.

Where are you thinking about training? I know a couple of no BS schools around town if your interested. I used to train a little judo/jujitsu, sometimes I miss it too but there is no way I could fit that kind of crosstraining right now since I am just trying to get back on schedule at school.
    A