Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the cost of learning

the cost of learning

i know that different parts of the country are cheaper or more expensive but i am curious what the cost of studying MA is typically per month. from my experience most schools i have seen are about $85/month. i am also curious to know if different types of schools tend to vary greatly in cost.

the reason i am asking is bc i was checking out a bjj school today bc i miss the grappling arts and i figured i can slip it in to my schedule twice a week. i was shocked to find out that its $150/month for 3 classes/week or $180 fo unlimited classes. now granted that 150-180 will allow you to study muay thai, capoera, bjj, submission grappling, and something else (but i forget) but i am only going to be able to slip 2 bjj classes per week. thats a lot of money. but i know its a good school. and i am wondering if that just is the going rate for that style.

so from all of your experiences what do you study and what is about an average estimate cost for your training?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    heh, my training includes 4-9 hours of driving, usually a couple of nights in a hotel and then as much as I can afford to give in the red envelope. so, hard to say.

currently, I charge $85 a month for up to 4 hours of regular classtime, plus 2 hours of open floor on the weekend and weapons and sparring if they are inclined.

AVL runs from $60 to $95...there are a couple of schools doing the supposed semi private thing that run 120-150 but the word is it isn't worth it.

BJJ/MMA schools are definitely the top money getters these days and $150/month seems to be the going rate.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

that's not uncommon for bjj if there is the a blackbelt at the club.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Training at my school varies. Basically, it's what you can afford. I train in a very blue-collar town, so for most people, their disposable income is very limited.

Good schools in Chicago get 120-150 a month.

Of course, so do the crappy ones....
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Sheet I pay 695$ CA per year!

That comes to under 58$CA per month... Who the lucky S-O-B?

J

7* that's not uncommon for bjj if there is the a blackbelt at the club.

would you study from a kyu belt? I am confused at your post....

Why? would it be cheaper if there was no BB
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

My current school charges $125 mo for unlimited group classes(basically 4X a wk incl. Sat.) plus 1 half hour private lesson a week.

When I owned my own school in CA, back in the early 90's, I charged $80 a month for unlimited group classes(5X a wk). I also had a deal if you paid 3mos in advance, you got the fourth month free. The other package was, $150 for unlimited group classes plus 1 half hour private lesson per week(no 3+1 on this deal though).

At this point, I can't see paying more than $150 a month specially if I am going to be limited in classes. Unless it was taught by a bonifide Grandmaster and not his jr black belts.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

I guess the better question is what is the testing fees? That seems to be the racket for most schools.

My Sil Lum kwoon in S.F. did not have belts so was my Arnis school. The cheapest I have ever had was $20 for color belts and $200 for black. Most expensive was $50 and $400 for black

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    in 1975 at Yeon Hee Park's Ji Do Kwan school, test fees started at around sixty dollars and went up with each rank. Black Belt was 500 dollars.

yeah and the value of the dollar was so much higher back then. or so my grandparents tell me lol. just kidding TT.

so i have been talking to my wife about this BJJ thing and the finances and whatnot. and she told me to see about doing a month and see if i like it before i agree to a contract. here's the catch. they require a year contract. if you just want to try it out they charge 40 dollars per class. thats a lot of money. so even if i wanted to try one class to see if its something i can do for a year (not that you can really make an assessment after one class) i would have to pay the 40 dollars. if i sign a contract that is put towards the tuition. but i dunno. 150/month + kung fu + gym membership. its a big commitment. i hate contracts so much. but i am becoming increasingly more interested in trying it out. but i checked on testing and belt fees and they said its just the 25 dollars for the belt or whatever. and it isnt really anything to worry about since they said it takes most people at least a year to get beyond white belt.

but i figured out a way to cut 150 dollars out of my monthly expenditures if i just stop drinking beer , stop buying bottles of diet coke, stop buying coffee at work and bringing it instead and stop going out to restaurants as much. wierd how those things tend to add up. a couple of bucks here and there doesnt seem like much til you sit down at the end of the month and really look at it.

Dunno man, cutting out beer and going to dinners is not a comprimise I would be willing to make.

Me I cut back to 12pk a week. 2 a day nothing on Sundays.
    And I haves to get my date on and go out to dinners and such. Otherwise it would be pointless to work out and have a body of a God and not share with the ladies.

Hey....don't laugh.....I do have a body of a God....Buddah is a God in some cultures.

PS: Bringing in lunch and snacks to work saves a ton. That's how I fund my pistol shooting hobby.
    Last edited by xcakid; 03-14-2007 at 08:25 AM.

The club I go to

any one style (bjj, judo, muay thai) 60$ a month
    unlimited 90$ a month

they are also a nonprofit, so if anyone is experiencing difficult economic times they can still train. It's pretty cool.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    7* that's not uncommon for bjj if there is the a blackbelt at the club.

would you study from a kyu belt? I am confused at your post....

Why? would it be cheaper if there was no BB
    It's not uncommon for Purple and Brown Belts to run clubs. Hell, if it takes 10 or so years to get a BJJ black belt, it's almost a necessity that these guys start teaching before black. There is high demand and black belts are comparitively rare.

My teacher was a Purple and bad @ss. BJJ promotions can take YEARS between belts. Even a high blue belt is pretty d@mn skilled.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

this school has 6 black belts that teach.