Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How important is lineage to you when picking a school/inst.

How important is lineage to you when picking a school/inst.

For me, not so much. I mean I can probably identify with only few of the names on there in some styles. In others, you may as well print name of some Chinese recipe for peking duck.

I pretty much look at how the class is conducted. I ask the instructor his philosophy in teaching. And the main thing I ask is, "how long to get my black belt" any instructor that give me a number is definitely out. How can he/she know what my learning ability would be based on a hand shake and what comes out of my mouth. I also look at how his hi ranking students perform. I typically visit a school 2-3X and try it out for a month or two. Hence I don't like schools with contracts

Would like to hear everyones opinion regarding lineages, and its value. As well as wether or not it makes the intructor more credible.
    Last edited by xcakid; 03-15-2007 at 09:00 AM.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

its not really. as long as i know i am learning something useful and i like the atmosphere of the school and think it is conducive to learning and the instructor(s) are supportive than thats what matters. i mean i can go to a school with the best lineage in the world but if all the people are a bunch of a$$h0les than why bother? i won't like it and end up not going as much. aside from learning defense and fighting and all the other stuff its one of the only places i go besides work during the week so it also has a social element to it that is necessary. at least for me.

Blog Entries
    REPUTABLE lineage is important to a degree, but definitely not the only thing to look for. The classes speak for themselves.

I have to respectfully disagree with the dismissal of teachers giving a time frame for black belt. Ask a high school teacher, how long does it take to get a HS diploma. Or a college professor, how long it takes to get a Bachelors, they will give you a time frame.

And what does a black belt mean anyways? It's not the end of anything, it just represents a bench mark, that lays a foundation for more advanced training. A time frame is actually good, because as educators, we have to help students set and achieve goals. If the average student can become black belt in say 4 years, and it is 6 years and you're still not there yet, then we need to figure out how to help you develop more intensity into your training. In our eyes, you are 6th year senior, when you really should have graduated by this time. We have to uphold our standards.

So, any lineage that is reputable for upholding high standards is definitely worth looking into. Why do you think schools like Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc have high reputations? Because their high standards of the past reflect who they are today. Lineage can represent this. But again, it shouldn't be the sole indicator.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree with the dismissal of teachers giving a time frame for black belt. Ask a high school teacher, how long does it take to get a HS diploma. Or a college professor, how long it takes to get a Bachelors, they will give you a time frame.

And what does a black belt mean anyways? It's not the end of anything, it just represents a bench mark, that lays a foundation for more advanced training. A time frame is actually good, because as educators, we have to help students set and achieve goals. If the average student can become black belt in say 4 years, and it is 6 years and you're still not there yet, then we need to figure out how to help you develop more intensity into your training. In our eyes, you are 6th year senior, when you really should have graduated by this time. We have to uphold our standards.

I guess I need to clarify my statement a bit. I am leary of any instructors that promises a certain belt within a certain specified time. Not everyone learns at the same pace. Some may also have more experience than others. Now if an instructor, give me an estimated amount of time, such as: "Typically it would take 3-4yrs to grasp the material taught and be proficient enough", rather than: "Oh I can make you a black belt in 2yrs"

Now I know that there are some instructors out there that will say give em all the material they can handle. Promote them to black as fast as possible. Who ever sticks it out that long, I'll just polish up their technics then and explain the concepts more in depth. Or just an instructor that is just out for the belt testing fees. I don't buy into that concept unfortunately.
    Last edited by xcakid; 03-15-2007 at 11:13 AM.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

for me lineage is only about legitimacy. i dont want to learn from a liar or fraud. otherwise the lesson speaks for itself.

When I first decided to join the school where I am at, lineage had zero to do with my choice. I never studied any martial arts before that time, outside of some Thompkins Karate as a kid, and some JKD stuff through a friend.

Now that I have studied for a fair while, hypothetically, If I were to look for a new place to train as a result of whatever circumstance, then I would have to say that lineage would factor into my decision, but not as much as checking a place, or places, out and verifying if they offered what I was looking for. But I would use my knowledge of lineages as a sort of fraud finder if my "cheesy gung" sense was tingling.

It can be a good thing, or a not so important thing. No matter how good someone's lineage is, that does not make that person a good teacher. I like that Judo has the USJF/ other governing bodies, a governing organization that gives you some idea as to where a person/instructor is. There are also people who can't perform well but know the in s and out s and make excellent teachers.
    Bless you

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Lineage will only get you so far. You can have the worst student under the best teacher. What is lineage worth then?
    You may be the founder, or second generation-such as I Liq Ch'uan's Sam Chin-who is held in high esteem in Mo-Lum.
    It is all about the teacher's hand, character, and ability to teach.

Blog Entries
    2 important things when looking for a place to train:

1) good teacher

2) correct method

Lineage has nothing to say about #1. Lineage means that you MIGHT have the right method of training. But even
    that is no guarantee as the teacher may have totally screwed things up from
    the time he learned from his teacher.

FP

I guess I have a follow up question: How far would you go into checking the validity of lineage?

I mean I could say, I studied under Yip Man himself.

How important?

... Not at all. Good stuff is good stuff. I look first at wether or not the school is teaching what I need/want to learn, then at he teacher. After that, I want to know if I am comfortable with my fellow student's. Lineage is like a cool history lesson; great backround stuff, but not something to base my studies on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    I guess I have a follow up question: How far would you go into checking the validity of lineage?

I mean I could say, I studied under Yip Man himself.

Some great teachers have poor students... and some teachers produce students who surpass them. For me, personally, lineage means nothign beyond a historical interest. if a person completely made up their art, but clearly had a profound skill and depth of knowledge, that is all that would matter.

Another aspect of all of this is the practice of "leeching" off other people's reputations - like saying "such a bod in our system was great, or could use trad kung fu, therefore I... we... are great" and so on. Look how shamelessly Bruce Lee's name is used.
    It's not worth a penny!

Lineage is just an excuse for not doing a lot of applications. If they were effective fighters they wouldn't need to talk about lineage.

Lineage is a way they can try to say that at some point back there was a decent fighter, to make up for their own shortcomings.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    ... Not at all. Good stuff is good stuff. I look first at wether or not the school is teaching what I need/want to learn, then at he teacher. After that, I want to know if I am comfortable with my fellow student's. Lineage is like a cool history lesson; great backround stuff, but not something to base my studies on.
    excellent!!
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

neit,
    for me lineage is only about legitimacy. i dont want to learn from a liar or fraud. otherwise the lesson speaks for itself.

I like this statement. no one wants to learn from someone who lies or does not have REAL credentials and thats what lineage does for you. As well the teacher and hsi skill speak for themselves... well said

neighholt...
    Lineage is just an excuse for not doing a lot of applications. If they were effective fighters they wouldn't need to talk about lineage.

Lineage is a way they can try to say that at some point back there was a decent fighter, to make up for their own shortcomings.
    Today 02:57 PM

well your just and idiot , OK maybe thats a little harsh but the more posts you make the more I wonder......
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."