Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teaching MMA

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Billy Blanks would have done it, except that he's more of a shiny hollywood kind of boy and wouldn't actually go for getting kncked in the chops for real.
    my understanding is that he fought full contact before he got hollywood.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Here is a stolen bio on Billy from IMB. Not sure on the validness of it all.

7th Degree Black Belt Billy Blanks had one of the greatest karate fight records in the sport's long history. Blanks was a 7-time world karate champion, the first Amateur Athletic Union Champ in 1975, the 1984 Massachusetts Golden Gloves Boxing Champion, and the Tri-State Golden Gloves Champion of Champions. He was the captain of the United States Karate Team and won over 30 gold medals in international competition. He was the number 1 or number 2 rated full-contact karate fighter in the United States for almost seven straight years. His epic battles with "Nasty" Anderson are legends among martial arts fans. He posted over 300 career victories. In 1982, Billy Blanks was honored by being inducted into the Karate Hall of Fame

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I know someone who fought BB back in 70's or so.

Can anyone blame him for riding the ride he found w/ Tae Bo...hell, if I could sell 'Matt Fu Bo' i sure as hell would.

heh, I thought I might have had a shot a couple of years back. Andie McDowell is a resident of AVL and her son went to the school I worked at. For several weeks he was asking me about what I taught and stuff. I thought he was interested in classes and fantasized about where that could take my school if AM's son was a student...alas, he became a local basketball star and got a scholarship somewhere...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Blog Entries
    Now the words MMA are just being thrown around in every which way, because MMA I don't think is a trademarked name, and therefore has no real agreed-upon definiton. I ran into a group that professed to be an MMA group. They basically did Aikido mixed in with some Filipino hand trapping drills or something. They never gloved up and went at it free form.

Did you see the videos on the link for that Pro Star thing? Check out the last video.
    http://www.martialartsteachers.com/i...r%20Drills
    Watch how she does her roundhouse kick. Welcome to your new home, MMA.

Last edited by yutyeesam; 03-15-2007 at 10:02 PM. Reason: making link work
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post
    Now the words MMA are just being thrown around in every which way, because MMA I don't think is a trademarked name, and therefore has no real agreed-upon definiton. I ran into a group that professed to be an MMA group. They basically did Aikido mixed in with some Filipino hand trapping drills or something. They never gloved up and went at it free form.

Did you see the videos on the link for that Pro Star thing? Check out the last video.
    http://www.martialartsteachers.com/i...-Star%20Drills
    Watch how she does her roundhouse kick. Welcome to your new home, MMA.

word. she's just doing a leg kick. no hip action....wheres the power?
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    word. she's just doing a leg kick. no hip action....wheres the power?
    Pff. You don't kick for power, you kick for points.

I still having heard the words I am waiting for in an advertisement.....

MMA Point Fighting

Looks like it's coming soon.

Thanks for that link.

http://www.martialartsteachers.com/i...-Star%20Drills

The video on side kicking gave me great joy.

MMA kiddie class. Btw, it turns out "folding" is the new "chambering". Awsome. Just for the record, I am not really opposed to the phenomena. Just a lover of irony. MMA kiddie classes, chambered kicks, "face your bellybuttons to this side of the classroom kids...." awsome......