Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching MMA

Blog Entries

Teaching MMA

I got this in my mailbox today. Thoughts?
    ---------------------------------------------------

The deadline to join Pro-Star Martial Arts as a Founding Member and get a 50% discount is this Friday at 6p.m. est.

Two-Minute Memo from John Graden:

As you read this letter, you will begin to realize that you have a rare and exciting opportunity to become a Founding Member of a new organization, Pro-Star Martial Arts. Pro-Star is mixed martial arts for the masses.

As you know, MMA is the fastest growing segment of the industry right now. Did you know that the Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock fight out drew the American League Championship MLB game by 10% on TV? The UFC and Pride are creating huge awareness and interest in MMA.

There is a two-fold problem however:

1. Schools teaching MMA tend to be a little on the dungeon dojo, hard-core side. There's nothing wrong with that, especially if you are training fighters. However, the average student will want something less intense. Pro-Star is the answer.

2. Most schools teaching traditional martial arts are not able to offer an MMA program for this new market of 16 - 30 year olds. These guys are not interested in being in a class full of kids learning a new form. Pro-Star is the answer.

The key to Pro-Star is how the curriculum is delivered. We use a member only website that uses streaming video to demonstrate each segment of each class from white belt to black belt.

For instance, if its Term Three, Week Four, Class Two, you click to that day, and see the Lesson Plan for that class. Better yet, you can click on each segment and see exactly how to teach that lesson.

You can see more examples here: http://www.martialartsteachers.com/i...ulum%20Preview

The curriculum delivery system is the key that makes the program unique. It's a mixed martial arts-based program designed by John Graden, Joe Brignoli and Jerry Jones.

The curriculum is based upon a rotating curriculum and is designed to make the process of teaching as easy as possible. With Pro-Star, everything is easier. All students are working on the same material, which reduces staffing. There is no striping system for the belts, which reduces admin. The techniques are easy to teach and learn.

Our goal with Pro-Star is to make every aspect of being a professional martial arts instructor easier and less stressful. We'd like you to teach more students in less classes for more money. With Pro-Star it's possible.

Very few times in your career will you have an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a new organization and be on the front end of a huge and growing market like MMA. Pro-Star is your chance, but you have to join now. Next week, the tuition will increase $50 per month, so don't wait.

To join Pro-Star as a Founding Member and save tuition, call Joe Brignoli right now at 1-866-650-6282 or 727-772-7425. If you would like to learn more about how big MMA is becoming, click here.

Thank you and I look forward to working with you to build Pro-Star into a huge, international organization.

With Respect,

John Graden
    Founder
    Pro-Star Mixed Martial Arts

John Graden
    Martial Arts Teachers' Association
    johngraden@martialartsteachers.com
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

LOL ... MMA McDojos ... LOL

wow mma mcdojos. the one thing i liked most about the mma thing was it seemed so evidence based. it was like you can't have BS schools bc it is actually going to be competitive against other schools in a way that would naturally draw students away from the fluff schools. you would know the quality of your stuff and your school bc you would be or not be successful. that would lend itself as evidence to your educational validity. but this... i don't even know what this is. its like a correspondance course on how to teach mma up to black belt. and its on the interwebs. i say go for it. follow the market demand. makes those benjamins.

Thanks for warning us in advance of which schools to avoid. Just when you thought the MA scene couldn't get any worse.

NAPMA has "EDGE" and now Graden has this "Pro-Star".... those are the two major managed, commercial martial arts people in the industry today...

Of course, I've been preaching the "new coming of MMA" on www.sanda-mma.com since 2004... someone should have listened to me then
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    NAPMA has "EDGE" and now Graden has this "Pro-Star".... those are the two major managed, commercial martial arts people in the industry today...

Of course, I've been preaching the "new coming of MMA" on www.sanda-mma.com since 2004... someone should have listened to me then
    Some should have listened to you ... meaning, someone should have listened and created a watered down MMA McDojo franchise system?

Perhaps these people did listen.

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt View Post
    Some should have listened to you ... meaning, someone should have listened and created a watered down MMA McDojo franchise system?

Perhaps these people did listen.
    No, serious martial arts people should have gotten their business act together before the industry steps in and competes directly with their product.....

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

No, serious martial arts people should have gotten their business act together before the industry steps in and competes directly with their product.....
    Oh, yep ... they never listen. Something about the hierarchy of teaching and the student supposed to do what the teacher says -- they get used to dictating, seems like.

If you tell them what you want, they tell you that you're wrong, and you should do what they tell you to. They don't consider a student a customer they should listen to, but rather somebody who should be dictated to.

So guess now they'll be scrambling to do more applications oriented stuff. About time.

There are guys who spent their lives mastering Taiji who make 10% what a taekwondo instructor who got a taiji set off a 14 minute segment on a DVD and set up a class makes.....

the MMA guys will complain about "purity" while the taekwondo guy down the street clears a 100 grand teaching "pro sport" down the street from him

There are guys who spent their lives mastering Taiji who make 10% what a taekwondo instructor who got a taiji set off a 14 minute segment on a DVD and set up a class makes.....

the MMA guys will complain about "purity" while the taekwondo guy down the street clears a 100 grand teaching "pro sport" down the street from him
    Yep ... ain't it a kicker? Our local TKD McDojo just recently expanded with double the space, while the local Olympic TKD sifu bemoans his lack of business.

I'm trying to figure out if it's a tragedy that the watered down Olympic TKD is on the verge of going out of business while the super-watered down TKD expands.

Meantime we have a local forms teacher making $100 per hour on privates while his teacher in the same material makes $90. $100 per hour teacher doesn't even do the forms the way he was taught. Both teachers do minimal combat apps.

Anyway, this all gets us nowhere. If you truly want $$$ you should be a friend of Bush. Those guys are making out like bandits.
    Last edited by neilhytholt; 03-15-2007 at 04:46 PM.

this is just an example of how it takes all kinds.

there are traditional McDojo styles, now we have MMA styles.

just as there are real hard core MMA, there is real hard core traditionalists.

if you didnt see this coming you need to open your eyes wider.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    this is just an example of how it takes all kinds.

there are traditional McDojo styles, now we have MMA styles.

just as there are real hard core MMA, there is real hard core traditionalists.

if you didnt see this coming you need to open your eyes wider.
    I'm waiting for Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell or Tito Ortiz to come up with fitness MMA for weight loss videos.

Just wait ... one of these MMA guys will do it.

Billy Blanks would have done it, except that he's more of a shiny hollywood kind of boy and wouldn't actually go for getting kncked in the chops for real.

anyway, what was to be expected? of course some marketing genius is gonna exploit this and its gonna wind up being another sad story like so many other martial arts practices have become.

real kungfu is still real kungfu though. It's too busy working to bother with glitz and marketing schmaltz. that's why all the good gyms stink.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

HA HA HA HA HA MMA Mc DOJO"S!!!!!!

It's about frik'n time!!

I Love it!!!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

MMA mcdojos have been around for a little while already. It's just that the more the trend grows, the more noticeable it'll be.
    Last edited by The Xia; 03-15-2007 at 07:58 PM.