Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pan Qing Fu - Mantis?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Pan Qing Fu - Mantis?

I didn't know he was a mantis exponent.

Northern? Which line?

Southern?

I can't seem to find anything on the net.

Thanks.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I think he is mostly a Chang Chuan cat, most of which was wushu I believe.
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Hi All

Pan QIng Fu knows Northern Praying Mantis. He is so fast and his fingers are like iron!

ok...we get the Iron Hand bit. No disrespect intended, but, I'm curious about his lineage in NPM. Thanks.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Hi

sorry i am not to sure of his exact TL lineage i do know though he learned in Shandong, more than likely 7 star or Mei Hua. Sorry i couldnt help!

that's ok. thanks.

do you have a good web address for him? I thought he had a website but I can't seem to find it.

for the record, i trained with him on a few occasions and had several friends train with him on a more full time basis and, at the time (late 80s, early 90s), he promoted himself as an eagle claw stylist.

dont know anything about him.

just read that book Iron and Silk: Mark Salzman (sp) who recieved a couple years of private instruction. at that time he was the first supposedly to get such instruction.

dunno if there is a lead you could follow on that line to get more direct information.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

neenjaboi!!!!

what up? hey, when you going to be stateside again? fwiw, I'm pretty sure I'll be at the GLT this year with some students. i owe you, you hit me in the head too many times at Biggie's school.

I'd always thought he was Eagle Claw...but, there's a huge crossover with mantis there so....

PQ, thanks. I&S is a good book, imho. reread it several times now. Haven't seen the movie though.

I was just looking for some general info on what his mantis was out of curiosity. I've a prospective student who says she studied mantis under him for 5 years and that was sorta 'news' to me.

what's shakin' oso?

i know what you mean about the crossover between eagle claw and mantis but i don't think the serious crossover began before jingwu in shanghai and he was mostly a beijing guy (to the best of my knowledge) but, as you so eloquently put it, "i could be completely wrong"...lol.

no chance for coming back to north america for a while, i'm enjoying pseudo-communism too much here in china. while i would love to give you a shot at revenge and retribution, i just don't think you're ready yet....lol....kidding. that sure was a great weekend whichever way you slice it. i still haven't seen anyone's video coverage of that day....you guys get that sorted out yet?

regardless, have a great time at the GLT. hit someone for me. i don't even care who : )

neil

sorry, one more thing.....regarding the prospective student, ask her to show you some applications from her mantis forms....if they work, you know he (and, consequently, she) has some mantis knowledge. if not....well, you know the rest...

peace

neil

I smell wushu
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Hi All

In regards to Grandmaster Pan Qing Fu his training is authentic. He has trained with over 1000 masters in China and is a disciple of over a dozen. He is very rich in knowledge of many styles of Chinese Martial Arts and mantis is just one of them. I have personally seen him show a little, and how to use it.

GM Pan Is very much a person who believes in usage. Yes he is a Contemporary Wushu Master aswell as he was involved in development and producing teams and champions during his time as a coach in China.

I would suggest that you train with him and experience his mantis for yourself, it is hard to describe and as many of you know it is always better to feel and experience it in person.

yea, i knew that the crossover was mostly post jingwu...but, Pan is not that old so he would have been training as a youth post jingwu...

as far as the student...kinda weird...she's emailed asking for private lessons because she can't train at night...so I quoted her and she doesn't seem fazed by the price (not that I charge a great deal for private lessons) but hasn't committed yet.

have you not gotten a copy of the MQ DVD set? It's 4 discs for...$40 I think, maybe $50. I think it's totally worth it and Steve and crew did a great job in post production. There's one or two scene's I'm particularly fond of...but, I won't start any wars by telling

you're probably right...I'm not ready...the shoulder surgury has taken a toll for sure.

I'm definitely in 'coach' mode for the GLT. I've got 4 guys and 1 gal going up for san shou...strictly 'C' division this year but it's a start.

besides, we need to make it a group thing so Gary gets a chance to dump me on my head

Be nice, Jake.

Aussie, I'm just seeking info for my own curiosity. Do you know any of the mantis teachers he's trained with?

i'll have to check into the dvd's, i'd love to get them.....a must see, for sure. i didn't even know they were available yet.....very cool.

sory to hear about your shoulder bugging ya....take care of that....

be good broseph,

neil