Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Hsing-I a good intro to Internal arts?

Quote Originally Posted by JetLi'sFearless View Post
    if its so respected why arent any mma or even sanda guys cross training in it. and jang jwing ming's book on bagua actually looks really good, unliek the xingyi book there is sparring in the bagua book.
    Isnt' it past your bedtime? Since there's no sparring in the book, then the xing-yi guys obviously can't spar! Go troll somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally, Xing Yi had no forms, and was sometimes called Yiquan, so it certainly has the gateway potential for deep insight in to internal method training.

Reply]
    Actually Yiquan is rather new, and may have ben influanced by Hsing I.

Hsing I goes back as far as the Sung dynasty and was around cenruries before Yiquan.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

have you guys saw those taikaken vs karate vids where the karate whipped on them? taikiken is some derivative of yiquan cause the founder is form Japan and he was one of the yi quan founders top students, also yi quan comes directly form xingyiquan.

If you're over 40 with joint problems, I'd probably start with something like Tai Chi or some mild Qigong to build your health up, and only then get into the harder, more physically demanding stuff. The thing about Hsing-i is that it's a great starting point, however you MUST have a good teacher. It looks simple enough on the outside, but internally there is a great amount of detail. And if one link in the chain is weak, then everything else will be "off" so to speak.

Best of luck on your chosen path
    GOD BLESS THE WORKING STIFF!!!

have you guys saw those taikaken vs karate vids where the karate whipped on them? taikiken is some derivative of yiquan cause the founder is form Japan and he was one of the yi quan founders top students, also yi quan comes directly form xingyiquan.
    Taikiken is not Xingyi. Therefore any comments you make about Xingyi when you refer to Taikiken videos (yet again looking towards Youtube as a source of knowledge) do not apply.

Xingyi's awesome whether you want to believe it or not. The problem with it is, you actually have to experience it rather than looking on the internet... (But then I would have thought that is the same with all TMA)
    Black Mantis

I thought most people on this forum even the kung fu only people already admitted mma and spport styles are superior? Again why are there impressive clips of muay thai, boxing, wrestling, etc. all easily accessable on the itnernet but hardly any cma and none at all of xingyi? dont you think there is a reason for this? dont you think if it was a good style tito ortiz would be travelling deep into china seeking it out since mma fighters ar elooking for that extra edge?
    Last edited by JetLi'sFearless; 03-19-2007 at 01:04 AM.

Superior at what? Certainly not at fighting - I for one have used TCMA on the streets several times and can vouch for its effectiveness. Fighting in a ring with boxing cloves, learning how to cuddle your opponent lying on the floor doesn't really appeal to me. Besides, if it goes to the floor then you clearly haven't delivered enough power... but then MMA guys don't know how to do that.

JetLi'sFearless, what martial art do you study? Do you study from a book?
    Black Mantis

but almost all the topics I see on this forum praise mma, and this is embarassing imo considering even kung fu people make fun of their own style or think its ifneiror to their competition, I find that kinda odd. Actually on other kung fu forums its kinda similar, and they keep making threads why their heroes dont fight in the ufc.

dont you think if it was a good style tito ortiz would be travelling deep into china seeking it out since mma fighters ar elooking for that extra edge?
    The kind of people into MMA are not the kind of people for whom Neijia appeal. If you like wearing boxing shorts and wrestling with other men, you are probably not interested in the psychological and spiritual benefits of the Neijia. Two different audiences.
    Black Mantis

but almost all the topics I see on this forum...
    Again, you're using an internet forum as some sort of conclusive evidence. Besides, why would people practise KungFu if they thought it was worse than MMA - there's no logic in your argument.
    Black Mantis

actually alot of them seem to switch, alot of users on this forum for instance who were die har dkung fu now learn mma (like that ray guy who was all about itnernal kugn fu),c asue of all the peer pressure on these forums finally turning their thinking aorund, so these forums really do have a large ifnluence on the ma community and there is probably alot of kung fu and tma people switching to mma all the time because of these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmantis View Post
    The kind of people into MMA are not the kind of people for whom Neijia appeal. If you like wearing boxing shorts and wrestling with other men, you are probably not interested in the psychological and spiritual benefits of the Neijia. Two different audiences.
    the psychological and spiritual aspects of neija should not be a motive to learn it as according to its history the past people who learned it neve cared about it and only learned it to fight, so it is competing for studentship with other fighting styles imo if it claims to fight better.

These higher qualities of Neijia are not distinct from fighting; a sharpened mind has heightened reflexes, and increased qi circulation leads to more power. Neijia is not Yoga - it is used for fighting.

I also suggest that people who spend all day on internet forums are not the most enlightened experts on kung fu.

But hey, if you want to learn kickboxing then go for it - you don't strike me as someone for whom Neijia or high level traditional martial arts would be suitable. Go learn how to do roundhouse kicks, hooks and wrestling on the floor (preferably not from Youtube).

But hang on... what do you think of Baguazhang?
    Black Mantis

baguazhang looks alot more impressive to me, I really dont dig the weak ass straight ebng quan punch with the other hand at the hips.