Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Hsing-I a good intro to Internal arts?

Is Hsing-I a good intro to Internal arts?

Hello,
    I am going to have to give up my training in Karate due to injuries. I'd still like to train in a martial art that is a little similar, but not as ####### the body. I've read up and it sounds like Hsing-I is a good bridge between Karate and Internal Chinese Kung Fu.
    Would you recommend me starting with Hsing-I, given my backround and state of health? I am nearly 40 and have problems with knees and shoulders. Could Hsing-I help with my health while also being a practical martial art?
    Thanks
    Ken

Yes, absolutely!! If you are in Chicago, look for Wai Lun Choi's people.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

1. Yes Xingyi is a great place to start. In my own experience studying internal arts, it was hard for me to use power in taiji and softer styles. Xingyi was easier for me to get a feel for internal power because it uses the same posture and principles as taiji (at least how I was taught both arts), but does it in a more obvious way. Once I could get a feel from it in xingyi it was easier for me to get a feel for it in bagua and taiji.

While I'm sure that this is just a question of what's personally suited for me - some people may find taiji an easier place to start- considering that you're already doing Karate it might be a good place to start.

2. Doing xingyi well won't be a problem with your injuries. Doing it poorly, on the other hand ... I've seen people have problems. One student in my teacher's school got a lot of back problems doing xingyi. Nobody else at the school had the same problems, so it was probably how he was practicing, rather something in the xingyi itself. Which is just to say the obvious with any exercise - pay attention to your body and know your limits.

Xing Yi is considered a very practical, direct, brutal method.

It was a prefferred art for bounty hunters and caravan gaurds.

taught properly, it is a very vigorous practice. The thing that makes it better for people with some types of injuries, is that you learn to use your body in a more natural way, than say in Karate. The sophisticated body movement can correct many errors that result in self-damage.

However, if you are looking to fix your health, go find a good physical threapist and do some pilates.

Also note, the Karate training will work against you in groking the unique nature of most Xing Yi.

I'm not sure Xing Yi is the solution for people 'too old' for Karate. Although I am also sure there are plenty of new age Xing yi guys out there...
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

IMo I was never impressed at all by the vids of this style on the internet. It looks pretty weak imo, bagua and event tai chi just seem alot better and have alot mroe to offer (even if its only push hands in tai chi). They block with like two hands at the same time and dont really sue a guard at all, and their strikes are kinda weak vertical fist type to the body you cans ee coming form miles away. Bagua seems really awesome though as they train the coordination and balance of the bdoy by semi sparring on bricks whil;e moving aorund, and conditioning all their body parts to strike like even the calf.

Try crossing hands with a good Hsing I guy and com back and tell us it's weak....

Hsing I is a awesome art. Even if you wish to explore other internal styles, I recomend first learning and drilling the Five Fists of Hsing I, and learning to fight with them. It's like a gateway to understanding the other internal styles.

If you have issues with old injuries, Hsing I will help as it teaches a more natural body structure, and how to use your power much more efficiently thorugh a more in depth study of body structural alignment, and mechnanics.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

didnt a bunch of sanda guys in china beat them up already?

Hsing I guys do fight sanda sucsessfully.

Did you know that in 50% of MMA fights, an MMA guy loses?

MMA can't be that good if it only gives you a 50/50 edge.....

For the Women:

+ = & a

name some hsing yi guys who fight sanda using xingyi and not sanda (sanda isnt just a format its also a style).

Quote Originally Posted by JetLi'sFearless View Post
    name some hsing yi guys who fight sanda using xingyi and not sanda (sanda isnt just a format its also a style).
    I haven't heard of any such fight - do you have the details? How would that show that sanda was superior to xingyi? I would take it to mean that an individual sanda fighter beat an individual xingyi fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    I'm not sure Xing Yi is the solution for people 'too old' for Karate. Although I am also sure there are plenty of new age Xing yi guys out there...
    Yi Quan is definitely the place to look if you are wanting a more theraputic feel to your training.

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguy View Post
    I haven't heard of any such fight - do you have the details? How would that show that sanda was superior to xingyi? I would take it to mean that an individual sanda fighter beat an individual xingyi fighter.
    Ill look for mroe info but I would suggest as emptyflower, if I rememebr right it was a smal meet where xingyi guys were to spa each other abnd they all looked like bad sanda guys, and a few sanda guys came in and cleaned house or something.

one incident does not decide totality.

perhaps this situation has happened. perhaps not.

this would not describe the style as a whole, only those particular practitioners.

you seem to vaguely recall this situation at best, i dont think ill take your word from that shady description to discount many mens hard work toward developing a martial art that was round long before you were.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I havent seen a single vid from that style online that looks remotely good. Its the worse kung fu style of all imo.

Assuming their is good instruction available, xingyiquan is not only a good bridge to CMA but an excellent end point as well. Substitute baguazhang or taijiquan and the sentence would be equally correct.

Quit hurting yourself and start building yourself back up. No need for people to beat you down if your training does it already to the point of injury.