Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is Hsing-I a good intro to Internal arts?

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Originally, Xing Yi had no forms, and was sometimes called Yiquan, so it certainly has the gateway potential for deep insight in to internal method training.

Reply]
    Actually Yiquan is rather new, and may have ben influanced by Hsing I.

Hsing I goes back as far as the Sung dynasty and was around cenruries before Yiquan.

Hi Royal Dragon - thanks for taking the time to respond. We've probably just got a bit of confusion creeping in there. Modern Yiquan, as founded by Wang Xang Zhai dates from the thirties and fourties, as I'm sure you know. However, according to Wang, Xing Yi originally had no forms, and "Yiquan" was already being used to describe Xing Yi before Wang, by his teacher. Hope that clears that up.
    It's not worth a penny!

Well then you undermine everything you stated about MMA being superior.

Xingyi trains form - the rear hand moves back to create power. When fighting, a Xingyi player does not use form - it's like practising scales for a musician. I didn't realise you did not know that; it's kind of basic...

Many great masters in time have practised both arts (Sun Lu Tang, Wang Shu Jin...etc.), if Bagua was better then they would not have practised Xingyi.

By the way, I practise both Heibei Xingyiquan and Cheng Baguazhang, and can honestly say neither is superior; they work beautifully together.
    Black Mantis

I'm talking to JetLi'sFearless by the way!!
    Black Mantis

Quote Originally Posted by JetLi'sFearless View Post
    have you guys saw those taikaken vs karate vids where the karate whipped on them? taikiken is some derivative of yiquan cause the founder is form Japan and he was one of the yi quan founders top students, also yi quan comes directly form xingyiquan.

You mean this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkC35VbWGvw

There's an edited version about that only shows the karate guys hitting the Taikikken guys - very funny. In fact, Kyoukushinkai is also related to Yiquan - they are actually martial arts cousing, sharing a lineage through sawai.... interestingly enough.
    It's not worth a penny!

I thought most people on this forum even the kung fu only people already admitted mma and spport styles are superior? Again why are there impressive clips of muay thai, boxing, wrestling, etc. all easily accessable on the itnernet but hardly any cma and none at all of xingyi? dont you think there is a reason for this? dont you think if it was a good style tito ortiz would be travelling deep into china seeking it out since mma fighters ar elooking for that extra edge?

Maybe they are.
    It's not worth a penny!

actually alot of them seem to switch, alot of users on this forum for instance who were die har dkung fu now learn mma (like that ray guy who was all about itnernal kugn fu),c asue of all the peer pressure on these forums finally turning their thinking aorund, so these forums really do have a large ifnluence on the ma community and there is probably alot of kung fu and tma people switching to mma all the time because of these forums.

In my view, there's really no difference. All that matters is goal. what is a person's goal. Superficial characterizations like Chinese and foreign, external internal mean absoloutely zero.

Personally, I say, over and over, Western boxing, a lot of karate, MMA, Muay Tahi are light years ahead of 99.999999 of CMA - light years.

And yet, I've been watchign tons of MMA recently - most MMA fighters aren't actually technically brilliant. I was watching two fatties have a knocabout on the UFC, and I thought, well, they;re not actually all that good - and to be honest, they weren't - they weren't great boxers or wrestlers, but they were up for it and they were in the ring. I figure a good boxer would have knocked either of them clean out, or a good judo guy would have taken them down.

The first part of the equation is to get CMA back in to reality. The second part of the equation is to not let that process go too far in to saying MMA is the total answer, in my view - because I don't think it is. There's still a massive depth of knwoeldge in CMA, once the scum is taken away, leaving the distilled stuff.

MMA also needs approaching with a relaity check - dis-appoint expectations before we appoint them. Some MMA guys are exceptional, most aren't, actually - there's thousands of so so... but, all the so so ones are alos really tough, and could defeat 99.999999 % of CMA stylists.

Personally, i say fusion of the correct methods from all styles, but with a foundation based not on learning vast amounts of techniques, but with the TRUE philosophy of formlessness that comes from CMA.
    It's not worth a penny!

well actually the other day I saw a street fight between two ex cons, one I wouldnt want to mess with just looking at his tatoos, and they actually threw straight punches at each other (didnt see any haymakers) before the tie up, and it looked really brutal adn violent (I never saw a mma or sport fight that had me shocked like this), I think in streetfights unlike sport fights the person who is willing to become more violent and agressive due to adrenaline and fight no matter how many hits they take and use their size advantage will win, skills dont matter that much as size and pure agression cause theyll just egt close to you so you wont be able to use any footwork or anything esp in a crowded street so itll be just a slug fest anyway. How many of you can admit that when you saw a streetfight that particualrly looked violent you were a bit shocked by the brutality vs the sparring you are used to or watching on tv, and questioned your own training? or you gotten into a fight and everything you learned including simple boxing went out the window in a second? Thats hwo it goes, unless your supremly confident and violent and big and have alot of streetfight experience using your style, it will generally go out the window. mma fights ar emore like sparring, they feel each other out and are afraid to get hit, a real crazy streetfighter who has been in alot of fights and is really violent adn can throw straight punches and is really confident will just sue his adrenaline to take any of those jabs or leg kicks and jsut ruin through you.
    Last edited by JetLi'sFearless; 03-19-2007 at 02:50 AM.

Are you still trolling this thread?

This thread is about a karateka wishing to train in neijia and specifically xing-yi. The consensus is, of anyone with any real experience with xing-yi, is that its an excellent art to train in. The guy isn't interested in being an mma fighter (or a street fighter for that matter) nor does he care about your aestic misunderstanding of Xing-yi. You want to dig up the whole spart vs street vs TMA topic and jump on that merry-go-round, start your own thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Talking

in a word

yep
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

I'm very sorry to reply - I just can't help myself. However...

About a month ago I was attacked in London by a group of people near Euston. I was punched at, but blocked the punch and hit my agressor in the mouth. I then ran as things were getting very dangerous... however, I used a TCMA technique on this ocassion, and it worked pretty darn well.

So when people refuse to accept TCMA' effectiveness, they are simply wrong.
    Black Mantis

that guy was probably really weak though, most people cav ein after tkaing one punch, however those two ex cons fighting I saw on st patricks day got hit straight on in the face with straights and kept fighting really violently too, the tatood up mother fuka had a shirt ripped and everything, and he kept wlaking toward the other dude the whole time ebfore the other guy even hit him, to his face and everything, and the other dude kiept trying to elave and the tatood up criminal looking dude (which scared me just looking at him) kept going at him toward him, thant ook a hti to the face lamsot without flinching before it started. lol the way that guy looked, the size advantage of both of them over me, the agression they displayed, and the fact I felt powerless to sotp it before occuring even though i knew it would, made me realize just how unimportant ma comapred to mental toughness and hardness in life really is. And I really doubt I would have even been able to step in if one of them was getting killed in that situation, nor do I doubt any neija or any of that other crap would have helped me or a neija guy would have stepped in in a 2 on 1 even (or 1 on 1 with oen guy getting beaten to death) with such beasts.
    Last edited by JetLi'sFearless; 03-19-2007 at 04:27 AM.

Why was he probably really weak? Because it suits your purpose? I hit him so hard that there was blood coming out of his mouth. I think I knocked out a few teeth...

You sound quite a lot like Mega_Fist...
    Black Mantis

ok Im not syaing hes weak, but did he actually fight you or just take a punch and lose his willingess to fight, anyway its alot harder to punch someone taller than you with a long reach advantage.

Look at the sign: "Don't feed the trolls"
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

ok Im not syaing hes weak, but did he actually fight you or just take a punch and lose his willingess to fight, anyway its alot harder to punch someone taller than you with a long reach advantage.
    He was the same height as me. He attacked me and lost. Your posts are as ignorant and foolish as Mega_Fist's, but without the humour.

Is Xingyi a good intro to the Internal Arts? Yes. End of story.
    Black Mantis