Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Style that does not need a lot of room?

Style that does not need a lot of room?

I was wondering what style people would reconmend for someone with not a lot of room to practice. I live in a small appartment, and it will be hard to practice a form that moves around a lot. Plus, I think I would like something nice and compact. I was thinking wing chung, but then again, I like styles with some joint locking in them. Well any thoughs would be great. Thanks.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Ahhh, ganglandian glock-jutsu. The only REAL no-BS martial art style out there.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

I can do Ba Gua as long as I have a six foot circle
    Words!

Just words!

wing chun is probably the best for limited space. the forms dont take up much room.

we may also do yang tai chi 13 moves on one spot with the shoulder width.

we may also do chen tai chi 37 moves on one spot., too.

--

You live in California! find a style that you like the best and PRACTICE OUTSIDE
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Fujian white crane fits your description best. A lot of similarity to WC, and with one of the most comprehensive and organised chi na sets out there. However, its better you just find something you like and make it fit the space, or leave your idea of what style you want somewhat broad and instead focus on getting a good teacher.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Fist View Post
    I can do Ba Gua as long as I have a six foot circle
    shouldn't that circle be infinitely small?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/ne...an-mastiff.jpg

better than a gun

people stop when you point a gun at them

they run screaming when they see this guy
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

room

Well i have an answer that is usually not considered.
    My master once said in reply to my asking what the area for an upcoming demo is like in size a long time ago, "it does not matter, you should be able to do any form or any technique in a spot large enough for one wide stance" then he proceeded to perform a very high level mantis form in a 4 foot by 4 foot area.

His stance change was crisp and decisive, then i tried and i realized i could do it as well (of course my ability at that point was above normal). The point is if you cannot practice drills or the style in a small area you will not be effective in real scenarios. like a small hallway, or a tight bar scene

With the exeception of styles that do acrobatics all Chinese Martial Arts fit your description.

DF

Fred Ettishes Fetal Fighting: http://www.ettishfetalfighting.8m.com/
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist View Post
    My master once said in reply to my asking what the area for an upcoming demo is like in size a long time ago, "it does not matter, you should be able to do any form or any technique in a spot large enough for one wide stance" then he proceeded to perform a very high level mantis form in a 4 foot by 4 foot area.

His stance change was crisp and decisive, then i tried and i realized i could do it as well (of course my ability at that point was above normal). The point is if you cannot practice drills or the style in a small area you will not be effective in real scenarios. like a small hallway, or a tight bar scene

With the exeception of styles that do acrobatics all Chinese Martial Arts fit your description.

DF

word up
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

capoeira. really.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist View Post

DF
    I practice my my LF forms in the living room of my 1bdrm apt. I just move the coffee table to the kitchen. Only form I can't practice is a staff and spear form. I am in the process of getting a half staff for that. But sword forms are not a problem.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.