Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicago's Green Dragon society

I have never gotten that impression. if anything, they over did it. I have heard they locked the door, went in the back room and bare knuckled it to the extreme. injuries were common, and blood was drawn every nite. Green dragon has, or had a rep as being one of the hardest, most insane fight schools Chicago had at the time.

Ur not thinking about green dragon *Studios* from Ohio are you?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I remember almost every martial arts school in the 70's as having a reputation for crazy training and drawing blood. Some old timers that I know say the same about the 60's. I've come to the conclusion that a lot of the reputation was based on bad training and more enthusiasm than technique. That's not to say that they weren't tough.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I'd bet there was plenty of technique too, just crazy levels of day to day fighting, no gear.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I'd bet there wasn't. Doing crazy levels of day to day fighting, with no gear would knock most out training for long lengths of time. I did some of this and it resulted in two things with most people, 1) sidelining injuries and 2) lots of dancing around without anybody making contact fearing to get injured. Neither good for developing good technique.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I allways hear injuries were common there.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of the reputation was based on bad training and more enthusiasm than technique
    I can see this regarding a lot of old time schools. I think that is a good point.

As for the old time GDS, yeah they sparred, and yeah from what I have heard there were a bunch of unneeded injury. Two parts about there sparring, number one, it was along the lines of the standard chinese outlook, they did not jump in right away, basics were drilled first like in many schools for what could be a bit of time, but to determine your selected animal school and then develop it, you sparred a lot to figure that out.

I remeber stories of refs having to break up matches when the fighters got to "caught up" in there animal, by using a escrima type of baston they carried. It sounds crazy but its what those cats did.

I'm only replying to this old thread because I didn't want to start a new one, and Tyrone Daremo's post on the Green Dragon Studios thread reminded me of this.

This was a weird school from my perspective, though I obviously never studied there. I called them back in the 80's when I was a teenager and there was so much secrecy they acted with. They were so creepy! They sent me a brochure about their art which they said was "Chi Tao Ch'uan" a temple art from Northern China that utilized the spirits of the animals to fight with, and herbal liniments that would make your bones as hard as steel and your skin as soft as that of a young maiden. Then when I went down to the school they had the storefront all draped up and some creepy guy came and cracked the door and asked what I wanted. I told him I was there for my interview (which by the way I no longer wanted because they were creeping the hell out of me), and he closed the door and had me wait a few minutes. Then he came back, cracked the door again and asked my name before closing the door and having me and my Mom wait out in front of the storefront another couple of minutes. Then he came back, cracked the door and asked for a drivers license or state ID which I have no idea what they did with for the next 10 minutes we waited outside. Then he came back and told me I wasn't accepted. I was relieved!

Then there was a girl at Steve Lee Swift's place that told me that she had been going to the Green Dragon Society, and I asked her what she thought of it. She said their kung fu was okay, but the master kept trying to intimidate her into sex and she wasn't impressed. That was the weirdest place....
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

What I find amazing is that I still cannot see this forum, nor can I post in it with my main username, but threads I started back when I could still show up just fine.

Whats the deal with that?
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 03-02-2011 at 05:32 AM.

sounds like a bunch of crazy fa gots

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    sounds like a bunch of crazy fa gots
    Reliable as Big Ben...
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    What I find amazing is that I still cannot see this forum, nor can I post in it with my main username, but threads I started back when I could still show up just fine.

Whats the deal with that?
    Same thing happened to 1bad65. He swears I banned him on purpose, though.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I believe the issue is a pebkac.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I believe the issue is a pebkac.

What is a pebkac?
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Same thing happened to 1bad65. He swears I banned him on purpose, though.
    Someone told Gene how to fix it once, but it never got done.

In the system there is a place where you can ban people by forum only. You have to enter thier name by hand into the field. Someone probably did this at some point.

It's not the main stream way of banning someone. If I am not mistaken the normal way is to check an option in thier file to restrict posting privileges.

I think if I could have access to the system I could probably figure it out pretty quick. My name is probably buried in a hundred or so, so it's going to be a labor intensive search once the right field is located.

The other possibility is something went wrong with one of the updates. I seem to remember some other sort of glitch concerning a software update occurring around that same time. I can't remember what it was though.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 03-04-2011 at 11:17 AM.

There used to be a guy from the "Black Dragon" briefly at my BJJ gym and I guess everything was secret and he couldn't even say where the school was but who knows.....