Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: New Kimbo fights

Keep us posted on when an official mma fight is gonna go on with kimbo in the ring. I remember last time Kimbo's posse got mighty ****ed when Mercer threw a knee
    Mark

second link:

cffc advertisement is at the beginning of the vid.

Saturday June23rd 10 pm
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

My source in Las Vegas told me he is training at Couture's Gym in Vegas.

With some ground game and top conditioning he could be quite a scary prospect.

h3ll, Kimbo's beard alone scares me
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by banditshaw View Post
    My source in Las Vegas told me he is training at Couture's Gym in Vegas.

With some ground game and top conditioning he could be quite a scary prospect.

caveats first:

kimbo would beat my ass.

I really like and respect the fact that in all the fights where his opponents stood up and took it straight, he helps them up and congratulates them on trying and hugs them and shiat. that's cool and to me is a large part of wu de.

it seems as if a lot of the posturing and bs smack talking is disappearing from what we see online. that's cool too.

but, to try to examine what it is he does:

he basically boxes. no clinching or grabbing/holding to punch is allowed, right? you see the 'ref' splitting them apart a lot.

no knees. no throwing.

maybe he is training at Couture's Gym but how good a shape is he really in?

conditioning being a large factor of fighting a ring match.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Mercer vs Kimbo is it going to be a MMA match or boxing match?

new to me.

kimbo didnt seem as patient in this fight as he is in his others.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    Mercer vs Kimbo is it going to be a MMA match or boxing match?
    I believe it's being billed as mma, but as both appear to mostly box, I imagine it will mostly be a boxing match with Mercer most likely to throw other stuff in.

Add: On March 21, 2007, Cage Fury announced that Mercer had signed to face underground street fighter and Internet legend Kimbo Slice at Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall on June 23, 2007 as part of Cage Fury Fighting Championship 5. This will be a sanctioned match under the New Jersey Unified MMA rules. Both fighters will earn a $50,000 purse, with the winner receiving a $25,000 bonus and another $10,000 for a knockout.
    Last edited by AmanuJRY; 06-07-2007 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Added info
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

85k for a winner by KO.....im betting they box going for that extra 10k is worth not going to the ground.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

As far as Kimbo in the UFC, I highly doubt it. The one guy who beat Kimbo, Sean Gannon, was signed to the UFC and got ko'd in his debut match and has a record of 1-1-0.

That fight is hard to find and was only streamed for a short period of time. I remember Gannon using a standing guillotine and some knees and Kimbo and his crew accused him of cheating. Kimbo doesn't post this fight with his others which can be viewed here (BEWARE, adult material is advertised on this website).
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

We have a lot of Kimbo threads...

...I'm posting this here because this is the biggest one (I just merged a few, but those were already pretty big).

There's a vid

Kevin 'Baby Slice' Ferguson Jr. looks to continue late father's legacy
    3:02 PM PT
    Eric Tamiso ESPN.com

The first thing you notice about Kevin Ferguson Jr. is the strong resemblance to his father. He hits hard like him, too, and has a look in his eye that displays the fire and emotion that made his father, legendary street fighter Kimbo Slice, so memorable.

Slice died in June at the age of 42, and now his son is ready to make his own impact in the world of mixed martial arts.

Bellator 162: Shlemenko vs. Grove
    Where: FedEx Forum, Memphis, Tennessee
    When: Friday
    TV: Spike TV/ESPN Deportes/ESPN3, 9 p.m. ET
    Ferguson, 23, nicknamed "Baby Slice," will make his pro debut Friday at Bellator 162 (9 p.m. ET, Spike TV/ESPN Deportes/ESPN3) in Memphis, Tennessee, in a welterweight bout against fellow newcomer Rick Bing. The platform marks a fitting beginning to the start of a pro MMA career for the son of Kimbo Slice -- aka Kevin Ferguson -- whose legacy was ultimately built upon his ability to draw eyeballs to everything he did.

"I am doing this for the fans that are watching and everything, but at the same time I'm really not doing it for them -- I'm doing it for me," Ferguson told ESPN.com. "I'm ready to go in and get that W."

The younger Slice first wanted to become a fighter at age 16 after seeing his dad fight, along with watching videos of boxing greats Roy Jones Jr. and Mike Tyson. It wasn't until Ferguson's first amateur bout in March, however, that he knew this was something he could do for a living.

Kimbo Slice, whose son Kevin "Baby Slice" Ferguson Jr. makes his pro debut on Friday at Bellator 162, died in June at the age of 42. Robert Laberge/Getty Images

Ferguson trained jiu-jitsu for a full year before working on his stand-up skills. For the two weeks leading up to his amateur debut, he limited his workout to a Healthtrax gym with a personal trainer. Pushing a sled and doing situps, the focus was on cardio with no fight technique being drilled. It turns out he didn't need jiu-jitsu, or much cardio for that matter, as the fight ended in 83 seconds, with another quick knockout being added to the family ledger.

"It's definitely genetics; not everybody has knockout power," Ferguson said. "Some people hit hard, but they don't have that knockout power, so I definitely inherited that from my pops, for sure."

Ferguson's amateur debut, which took place at a Polynesian restaurant in Chicopee, Massachusetts, for a local promotion, soon hit the internet and became a sensation, garnering over 1.6 million views on YouTube to date. Shortly after, he received a phone call from his father to discuss the young fighter's next move.

"He was telling me that Bellator had interest," Ferguson said. "I had to think about it a little bit. I trained with ATT [American Top Team] for a month in Coconut Creek [Florida]. Then I made that decision -- we all made that decision together -- that yeah, this is what I wanted to do. It was my decision, but I made it with my dad -- we did it together."

Three months later, the elder Slice died suddenly due to heart failure, just four months after his final bout with Bellator.

Ferguson, whose debut will come on Friday's preliminary card, doesn't have any specific plans to honor his father; he says he's saving that for when he gets promoted to the main card.

"I'm still dealing with [the loss] every day. It ain't something you just get over," he said. "I just know that I'm continuing a legacy. I wouldn't mind fighting in his shadow. I wouldn't mind that at this point. That's OK with me."

Ferguson originally was scheduled to make his pro debut in August at Bellator 160, but a freak accident in training while working on his takedown defense caused an MCL injury that forced him off the card. Going through his first serious training camp, Ferguson calls the injury a "blessing in disguise" because he was learning so much about pushing himself in camp.

Now armed with greater understanding of what it takes to compete as a pro, Ferguson has continued training with The Body Shop in California alongside fellow Bellator prospects A.J. McKee and Joey Davis, whom Ferguson credits for keeping his focus and dedication on the sport.

"They push me, A.J. and Joey, those guys push me to the limits," said Ferguson. "I'd be wanting to give up sometimes and they're like, 'No, there ain't no giving up, let's go.'"

He may look and punch like his father, but Ferguson is his own man with his own style in the cage. Fighting at welterweight, as opposed to heavyweight, he describes himself as a faster and more athletic fighter than his father, with a better ground game. With the expectations of a famous nickname and having many eyes on your early fights, one could easily expect nerves to be a bigger battle than the fight itself for Ferguson, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

"There's really no emotions for me," he said. "I zone out. I go into a whole other zone. I don't hear the crowd. All I see is my opponent, just getting a W, my hand raised at the end of the night. No matter if it comes by submission or knockout [or] TKO. As long as I get that W, I'm happy."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Does BS need his own thread?

Forgive me, but the moniker Baby Slice immediately makes me think of Emma Bunton.

Kimbo Slice's Son Baby Slice Picked Up Record-Breaking Victory at Bellator 197
    BRIAN OSWALD
    APRIL 14, 2018

The 112
    @_THE112
    Quickest Submission in Bellator MMA history

Baby Slice#Bellator197

6:13 PM - Apr 13, 2018
    72 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    For Kevin "Baby Slice" Ferguson Jr., competing as a professional mixed martial artist must come with a bevy of emotions.

His father, Kimbo Slice, would become one of the most iconic fighters in the history of the sport before his untimely death in 2016 at just 42 years of age.

At the same time, the son can carry his father's spirit with him into the cage.

On Friday the 13th at Bellator 197 at The Family Arena in St. Charles, Missouri, Baby Slice won in dominant fashion—just not in the way most might expect given his father's proclivity for knocking his opponents out cold.

Ferguson Jr. broke the record for the fastest submission in Bellator MMA's history—just 34 seconds into the first round.

While the jury is still out on just how good of a fighter Ferguson Jr. might blossom into, seeing him follow in his father's footsteps is something you can't help but smile about. Ferguson Jr. was all smiles at the post-fight presser, which you can watch here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart