Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kimbo fights

Truth of the matter is, from what I saw, the Boston dude was a better fighter than him ... more well rounded.

I know some big guys that always seam to challenge guys smaller/much older than themselves, but when the oportunity to play with someone equally imposing comes along ... they make quick friends. Get real buddy buddy.

I don't disagree. that had nothing to do with why they jumped in though. As for the single leg, that was legal. Their rules were no kicks and no submissions. If the single woulda worked, kimbo likely woulda just kicked and stomped gannon.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I'm guessing that knees were also not allowed, as they jumped in when he knee'd Kimbo. Were elbows allowed? I think he might do better if he trained for better stamina.

knees were allowed. My thought there is that his camp was considering a knee as a kick and didn't think to differentiate when they set the rules. since they counted the knee as a kick, they jumped in.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

That whole thing just looked unprofessional. If you're going to fight, fight. If you're going to break it up then break it up and walk away. But to keep stopping the action everytime a spectator had beef .... that's rediculous.

And who wants to see just boxing today, and from them? We want to see it all. Let the fight unfold.

It was unprofessional. I don't recall takedowns being allowed in the rules as it was supposed to be just street boxing, but I could be wrong. It was a tough situation. Nobody knew what to expect from the other person's crew.

Official rules...

No rule against takedowns...

No rule against submissions...

Sorry, SevenStar. You are right about Kimbo being correct going for a single leg (Although ground fighting is clearly against the rules and you are to back up and let person back to their feet if they do go the ground.. you think Kimbo would do that since he didn't in other parts of this fight????), but Gannon's guillotine was 100% legal as well. You are wrong about that. Knees were completely too.

yeah, I mentioned that. knees were allowed. kicks were not. My guess is his camp counted a knee as a kick. and yes, the guillotine was legal as well. My guess here is that when they said "no groundwork", they assumed that submissions could only be done on the ground and forgot about stand up submissions.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    That whole thing just looked unprofessional. If you're going to fight, fight. If you're going to break it up then break it up and walk away. But to keep stopping the action everytime a spectator had beef .... that's rediculous.

And who wants to see just boxing today, and from them? We want to see it all. Let the fight unfold.

who wants to see just boxing? have you seen the purses boxing gets at the highest levels? apparently a lot of people wanna see it. I agree that fights of this nature are unprofessional though.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    yeah, I mentioned that. knees were allowed. kicks were not. My guess is his camp counted a knee as a kick. and yes, the guillotine was legal as well. My guess here is that when they said "no groundwork", they assumed that submissions could only be done on the ground and forgot about stand up submissions.
    My guess is that only their guys get ****ed when Kimbo was getting beat on by anything not punching. I didn't see them jump in to break it up when Kimbo was dropping bombs on top of Gannon ON THE GROUND... Don't know why you have such a hard time believing these guys were punks. I know and trained with a few of the people with Gannon.

BTW, groundfighting was defined as "no groundfighting, groundfighting is defined as continuing to make contact with a fighter after he is downed. A fighter will attempt to give his opponent about 15 feet until he gets to his feet" verbatim on the rules sheet signed by Kimbo. They didn't assume anything, but that their boy was getting beat.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    who wants to see just boxing? have you seen the purses boxing gets at the highest levels? apparently a lot of people wanna see it. I agree that fights of this nature are unprofessional though.
    Oh, I agree. I love boxing. And I watch and learn even from this video. But there wasn't really that much there other than two big guys throwing their weight around. The Boston dude exhibited more skill to me, more control in the clinch, etc.

Maybe I should watch it a few more times.

New Kimbo fight *vid* vs. two guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh_8droTClo

The punch at 5:45 is huge.

Props to the second guy for taking tons of punishment and keeping on getting back up.

You can see he's dazed at the end and can't walk straight.

Kimbo @ wiki

Personal Information

Kimbo's real name is Kevin Ferguson. He is the cousin of US Olympic Judoka Rhadi Ferguson [1]. He is approximately 6'2" tall, and weighs 245 lbs. Kimbo is always shown with a full beard and a clean-shaven head. Kimbo is a college graduate who works as a bodyguard for In the VIP and MILF Hunter productions. Declared by Rolling Stone as "The King of the Web Brawlers"[2]
    There's a lot more info at wiki.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Question

I wonder if he's related to Conan?

anyone know?
    Bless you

His fight spirit was much too large for both of those men... he could probably have fought them both at the same time.

I had respect for Kimo until I saw a fighter handle him and his men jumped in and made a big fuss about rules and kept stopping the fight everytime he got into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    His fight spirit was much too large for both of those men... he could probably have fought them both at the same time.

I had respect for Kimo until I saw a fighter handle him and his men jumped in and made a big fuss about rules and kept stopping the fight everytime he got into trouble.
    That was in his fight against Gannon.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.