Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kimbo fights

Word...

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    bare knuckle fights don't last as long as gloved fights.

a) the hits hurt a lot more

b) your hands hurt a lot more from hitting

if kimbo wanted to go pro, he would have to up his game.
    There are guys that would eat him in the current ranks of any number of sport fighting leagues.

maybe that's why he fights chumps? makes him look better? who knows. I think he though gannon would be a cake walk too.

intimidation will only get you so far, just ask Mikey t!
    Why doesn't this guy put his cards on the table and train for the pros? According to my extremely limited knowledge of such, it doesn't seem he's a horrible stand-up fighter.

Agreed with the others though about BigMac, he got rocked like 6 times and still wanted more!

This is sick...

...and I watched the whole thing.

TuG.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

Bare Knuckle

This clip brings to mind a thread just passed, about bare knuckle boxing? Discussions about breaking your hands on opponents, about longer or shorter duration 'bouts?

About the effectiveness of body blows vs head shots.

It seems Kimbo goes for a lot of head shots, and yet the body blows hurt. I don't think he dropped anybody with a body shot, but he made some openings.

He also has a rock steady stance, whereas his opponents are a lot move bouncy.

Can we agree, based upon this example, that bare knuckle fights are over quicker because there is more damage done with a solid shot, AND that it is a bit more difficult to get in that solid shot when you're worried about copping one in return?

I don't think the fighters looked cut up, which surprised me.

i think moondog made kimbo.

i will find a picture of moondog tomorrow.
    where's my beer?

I don't think Kimbo could get much better.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

this is moondog

hes something of a local legend. he's at the end of every parade and he makes it to every fire ... often times even before the firemen.

moondog's myspace

more info on moondog on my buddy's site
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    This clip brings to mind a thread just passed, about bare knuckle boxing? Discussions about breaking your hands on opponents, about longer or shorter duration 'bouts?

About the effectiveness of body blows vs head shots.

It seems Kimbo goes for a lot of head shots, and yet the body blows hurt. I don't think he dropped anybody with a body shot, but he made some openings.

He also has a rock steady stance, whereas his opponents are a lot move bouncy.

Can we agree, based upon this example, that bare knuckle fights are over quicker because there is more damage done with a solid shot, AND that it is a bit more difficult to get in that solid shot when you're worried about copping one in return?

I don't think the fighters looked cut up, which surprised me.
    YC - I agree that he has good stance, but one thing I noticed is that when in the thick of it, he seems to drop his head and crouch a bit, which makes him shorter (if you know what I mean). Doesn't necessarily impair him, but it makes a big difference in reach IMO.

Also surprised there was next to no bloodshed.

TuG.
    Last edited by tug; 12-04-2006 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Addition.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

7 - afterwards, Kimbo kept looking at his hands, you reckon he hurt them, or was it just love?

my initial impression was that it hurt.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    Dude, what the hell are you talking about?!?! What does that have to do with anything. I am getting married next year. That was the weakest come back.
    suure thing flying monkey.....

MORE LIKE SPANKING MONKEY AM I RIGHT FOLKS?!

7*, that was my impression as well, and it looked like Rasta was cut, maybe even damaged cheek bone? It sounded like his chops popped when he ate the uppercut, but the damage seemed to be between upper lip and eye, maybe even the nose.

So, we have a big man, solid stance who puts "enough" power into a closed fist to drop an elephant. If his hands were hurt, I doubt they were broken.

What can we mere mortals take away in terms of Sport (padded up) vs Street (unpadded) fighting.

Sure, there were "rules" of sorts in this match.

My take-away is that solid stance trumps bouncy footwork.

Also, those loping overhand punches that work with gloves don't compete against a solid knuckle surface shot delivered with intent, like the bent arm hook and straight punch.

In most those fights in this thread, whenever somebody bent down to clinch or cover up, they paid for it. This seems to apply to someone coming in for a takedown too...

In most those fights in this thread, whenever somebody bent down to clinch or cover up, they paid for it. This seems to apply to someone coming in for a takedown too...
    I'd say there's a difference between someone bent over, trying (badly) to lean away from getting hit, and someone changing levels to get a takedown. In other words, bad fighters don't tell you much about good fighters.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

from the looks of his gannon fight

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/...Vs_Gannon.html

kimbo's endurance would not last the first round in any pro MMA fight...

hes got game, just not enough.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Hi Lee,
    Point taken, but with rebuttal...

The favorite quote is that 98% of all fights go to the ground. Why, because 98% of the fighters are ground fighters that are shooting in and taking their opponents down? Seems unlikely at at face value.

More likely, they go to ground because one guy grabs onto the other to keep from getting smashed and gravity takes over from there. (note: bad stance/footwork?)

Just like not every striker is an Ali or Bruce Lee, not every grappler is a Gracie or Kimura. Its messy, so while bad fighters may not teach you about good fighters, you can learn as much from watching common (bad) fighting as by watching pro perfection. And, what you learn may indeed be more relevent to what you may actually face in a reality based situation.

My take-away is that solid stance trumps bouncy footwork.
    Not necessarily... if a taller guys knows how to use "bouncy" footwork along with jabs that keep the shorter guy away, it can be very effective. Neither of those guys used that strategy.