Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't sleep...

So, what does it mean for the circadian rythm when you're an early bird, a night owl and whatever the animal is when you're full of energy in the middle of the day because that's what I am and I usually get between 4-6 hours a day.

You Smoke, drink too much caffine, or are just plain young and in top condition. It could also mean you don't do enough during the day....

When i was in my 20's, i could go for extended periods of time with just 5 hours a nite. Technically, i *Felt* fine, but when i started to sleep 8-9, my Kung Fu got bettter by leaps and bounds with much less effort.

Of course, now that I'm almost 40, I *NEED* 9 hours on average to be at my best.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I was born hyperactive. I was even put on drugs to get the hyperactivity down., They had no effect. I've gotten increasingly hyperactive exponentially as I've gotten older. It was always a slow increase. A year or so after I started martial arts, I found it was impossible for me to tire myself out physically (glucouse build up fatigue- I can slow myself down if I cause damage, such as what you need to build muscle, but I work out mainly so I don't have to worry about over stressing a muscle and destroying, like what happens with horses in fixed races; and even when I do damage a muscles, I just keep going, but with a lot of pain).

I've even tried not practicing and that doesn't help. I still see the skill increases, probably from the idea of letting your mind figure stuff out without you actively concentrating on it.

Before I liked even 9-12 hours of sleep about 10 years ago in my late teens, now I can't stand it because I get pain in a couple joints, since I don't move much when I sleep.

The only kind of tired I get is mentally tired, but the time between those occurrences happen keeps expanding more and more.

All this may sound cool, but it's so annoying for most of the people around me. If I let my self-control slip, I'll end up talking really fast and people get confused because they aren't used to people talking as fast as me and I gotta go back and say it all again. Every day I wake up with a new increase of hyperactivity now and have to reassert a new level of control. Even sleeping pills won't work work because the hyperactivity bulldozes on through and quickly overpowers the chemicals' effects. This means that it's very hard for me to even get drunk, too.

I've heard this complaint from a number of folks since last Monday. I think the last new moon preceeding the vernal equinox was a powerful combination pulling on peoples body fluid levels.

Quote Originally Posted by AJM View Post
    I've heard this complaint from a number of folks since last Monday. I think the last new moon preceeding the vernal equinox was a powerful combination pulling on peoples body fluid levels.
    The week of the full moon, I can never sleep. Well, I sleep, it's not very sound and I always wake up.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I've slept like **** the last couple of days. I have trouble falling to sleep again if I wake up. Even if it's really ****ing early.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Well, here I am, up again...I've been up since 7:00 Am yesterday.....

I tried sniffing the essential oil of lavender...enough to knock and elephant out...it just gave me a tummy ache and I am still up....

I have not even practiced today, I worked all day to meet deadlines as I was behind. After 11 hours of staright work, you'd think I'd be overly exaughsted and just collapse... Nope, I just layed there and started at the celing not able to doze off at all....

Maybe I need to try eating a huge steak, or a turkey. Heavy meat based meal make me sleepy.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Well, here I am, up again...I've been up since 7:00 Am yesterday.....

I tried sniffing the essential oil of lavender...enough to knock and elephant out...it just gave me a tummy ache and I am still up....

I have not even practiced today, I worked all day to meet deadlines as I was behind. After 11 hours of staright work, you'd think I'd be overly exaughsted and just collapse... Nope, I just layed there and started at the celing not able to doze off at all....

Maybe I need to try eating a huge steak, or a turkey. Heavy meat based meal make me sleepy.
    Some people I've met swear by tryptophan. Milk has tryptophan. People have also said chamomile tea (with milk).

Catnip to. It's a stimulant in cats, but a seditive in humans.

For the Women:

+ = & a

a bit yin deficient, perhaps?

Reading your symptoms, I have to think that you may be a bit 'yin deficient'. Given your regular, intense workouts, the heat created by the exercise may be burning off all of your precious fluids thru prespiration and vapor exchange in your lungs as well as actually raising your metabolic rate and internal temperature.

Does your tongue have a thin/absent coat or a thick yellow/white one?

Do you feel slightly warm when you go to bed at night?

Anyways, yin deficiency can "heat the heart", causing insomnia and excessive thinking, restlessness and irritablility.

Eat pears and bananas after your workout to cool things off a bit. These foods 'generate fluids' in TCM. Watermelon juice is a good one, too.

Outside of that, I've always had decent results with melatonin - less is more with dosage, though and sublingual tablets seem to work the fastest.

peace

herb ox

If you are taking ma huang, it seems like that could really be your problem depending upon what time of the day you take it.

I used to take the over the counter version of those pills that they used for truckers to stay awake on long trips sometimes because it acts like epinephrine. I think it lasts like 8-12 hours or something.

Does your tongue have a thin/absent coat or a thick yellow/white one?

Reply]
    More white, but not thick? I don't know what you are looking for, it looks like a toung to me.

Do you feel slightly warm when you go to bed at night?

Reply]
    No, just awake.

Anyways, yin deficiency can "heat the heart", causing insomnia and excessive thinking, restlessness and irritablility.

Reply]
    Does eating meat replace deficient Yin? That seems to be helping.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I am serious, if its just anxiety, try some calicum. Take around 500 mil's and it often takes the edge off.

I have been eating abit later (Heavy protine meals), and going to bed around 10:00-10:30, and that seems to be helping.

Also, I have changed my routine and lightened up on the conditioning to a more Qi Gong/Forms platform for now. I hate to do this because I have not met my current conditioning goals...it's still taking me 40 minutes to do a 25 minute routine...and I am not even useing wrist and ankle weights for the body weight exercises yet...but I am sleeping soundly all nite again.

Heavy conditioning allways exaughsts me right after the session, but once recovered (About an hour) I am very energetic. This rarely interfears with sleep, but I have some stress related issues right now, so backing off seems to be helping.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I have never slept - all my life - it's torture
    now I grow herbs & eat them - no more sleep problems - no more nightmares

I would like to start growing Herbs for energy as well
    because my disability doesn't leave money for pre made concoctions
    Last edited by Cheng oi; 10-08-2013 at 07:03 AM.