Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: T M N T

must...post...here

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Shell shocked

Would this be as marketable if it was called PTSDed?

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Exclusive clip on Yahoo

You gotta follow the link because it's a Yahoo and won't embed like YouTube.
    'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Exclusive Clip: A Beatbox Circle and One Big 'Cowabunga!'
    Kevin Polowy Senior Editor Aug 6, 2014

We’ve seen the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles go through several incarnations over the years, so it’s nice to see some of their key trademarks remains intact in the new movie version, which hits theaters Friday. This exclusive scene from 2014’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles features two of them.

First, there’s the Turtles’ love for hip-hop. In one of the movie’s most sublime and crowd-pleasing moments, Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello and Michaelangelo evade a warehouse-floor full of henchmen, hop onto an elevator, and spend the 54-story ascent busting into a spontaneous beatboxing cypher. It’s the kind of moment that would make Vanilla Ice – who famously provided the theme song, "Ninja Rap," to 1991’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze – proud.

Second, while the term “Cowabunga” may have gone the way of “bodacious” and died with the ’90s (save for Bart Simpson’s tireless championing of the phrase), it also makes an appearance in the film (and clip above). The intoning of the sacred phrase is the film’s major wink-wink/wait-for-it moment. “Hey Mikey, remember that thing you used to say when we were kids?,” Raphael asks Michaelangelo.

“Cowabunga”s roots far pre-date the Turtles however: Edward Kean is credited with first coining the word on The Howdy Doody Show. To celebrate its return, we compiled this look at its many (many) cameos over the years since:
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our official review

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

The only ninjas that don't suck

man, I was excited for this movie till I read your review

for once, they didn't look stupid.

man I wish I still had my first ed. of all the comics...AND the RPG book...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Didn't mean to turn you off of it, Oso

Apparently, you were the only one. Everyone else went.

Box Office: 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Wows With $65M Domestic Debut
    8:12 AM PST 08/10/2014 by Pamela McClintock

UPDATED: The Michael Bay-produced movie steals the top spot from 'Guardians of the Galaxy,' with Paramount immediately announcing a summer 2016 sequel

Launching a new film franchise, Paramount and Nickelodeon Movies' Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles wowed in its North American debut with $65 million, becoming the second August tentpole after Guardians of the Galaxy to wildly overperform. Worldwide, the movie opened to $97.3 million, prompting Paramount chief Brad Grey and producer Michael Bay to immediately announce a sequel, set for release June 3, 2016.

TMNT is a needed win for Paramount, which makes fewer movies than other studios. It also exploits parent company Viacom's various divisions. TMNT screenwriters Josh Appelbaum and Andre Neme are returning to write the script for the sequel.

The family friendly film, earning a B CinemaScore, easily bested Guardians to claim the No. 1 spot domestically. Guardians certainly held its own, however, falling a respectable 56 percent in its second weekend to $41.5 million for a domestic total of $175.9 million. Globally, the Marvel Studios and Disney tentpole raced past the $300 million mark after earning another $40.1 million for a foreign total of $137.3 million and world haul of $313.2 million.

In North America, Guardians and TMNT are helping to shore up the otherwise troubled summer box office, where revenue was down a steep 20 percent two weeks ago. Revenue is now down by 16.5 percent over a year ago, still a historic low.

Guardians placed No. 2 domestically, followed by new entires Into the Storm and adult dramedy The Hundred-Foot Journey, which opened to $18 million and $11.1 million, respectively. The weekend's fourth new nationwide film, Step Up All In, opened to $6.6 million, a franchise low. The dance film is making up ground overseas, where it has earned $37.7 million for a worldwide total of $44.2 million.

Heading into the weekend, the $125 million TMNT was expected to debut in the $50 million to $55 million range, and its better-than-expected performance underscores the pent-up appetite for family fare, even though it is rated PG-13. Bay's Platinum Dunes shepherded TMNT for Paramount and Nickelodeon. (There's already a new television series.)

Males fueled the film (61 percent), while 45 percent of Friday's audience was under the age of 25.

Directed by Jonathan Liebesman, TMNT stars Megan Fox, Will Arnett, William Fichtner, Danny Woodburn, Abby Elliott, Noel Fisher, Jeremy Howard, Pete Ploszek, Alan Ritchson and Minae Noji. It's based on the characters created by Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman.

In the film, four outcast brothers rise from the sewer and discover their destiny as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles while working with a fearless reporter (Fox) to save New York City from Shredder and his evil Foot Clan.

“To know moviegoers are embracing the Turtles with such enthusiasm is everything that we and all our filmmakers have been hoping for. Along with our partners Michael Bay and Platinum Dunes, and of course Cyma Zarghami and everyone at Nickelodeon, we are thrilled with this weekend’s result, the enduring power of this franchise, and the opportunity to make another one," Grey said in a statement.

Paramount Film Group president Adam Goodman added, “Launching a new take on the turtles into the feature film world was a daunting task because as fans of them ourselves, we felt a great responsibility to ensure audiences were going to experience everything they loved about the turtles, while also getting to see them brought to life in a way they had never been seen before."

New Line and Warner Bros.' tornado disaster film Into the Storm, earning a B CinemaScore, opened to less than half of Twister's $41.2 million debut nearly 20 years ago, not accounting for inflation. (That film was also from Warner Bros.) Lacking any big stars but boasting plenty of tornadoes, Into the Storm cost under $50 million to make.

Into the Storm played heavily to females (58 percent), while a full 71 percent of the audience was over the age of 25. Steven Quale directed the found-footage movie. Overseas, the action film opened to $8.3 million from 20 markets for a world total of $26.3 million.

Going after adults was DreamWorks and Participant Media's dramedy The Hundred-Foot Journey, about dueling French and Indian chefs in a small French town.

The $22 million film, directed by Lasse Hallstrom and based on the book by Richard C. Morais, has plenty of pedigree behind the camera in producers Oprah Winfrey and Steven Spielberg, while star Helen Mirren is a big draw for older moviegoers. Middling reviews likely muted the film's showing, although it did boast an A CinemaScore. More than 40 percent of the audience was over the age of 50.

From Summit Entertainment, Step Up All In is the fifth installment in the dance franchise and placed No. 6. Trish Sie directed the movie, which stars Ryan Guzman, Briana Evigan, Stephen "tWitch" Boss, Misha Gabriel, Izabella Miko, Alyson Stoner and Adam Sevani. Step Up All In received a B+ CinemaScore, with females making up 59 percent of the audience.

At the specialty box office, CBS Films' romantic comedy What if, starring Daniel Radcliffe and Zoe Kazan, launched in 20 theaters in 10 top markets, grossing $130,000 for a location average of $6,500, on par with Promised Land and just behind The Young Victoria in terms of location average.

What If earned an A- CinemaScore, and will continue to expand next weekend.

At the specialty box office, James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D, struggled badly in its debut, grossing $150,399 from 300 theaters for a paltry location average of $496. National Geographic produced the documentary, which was directed by John Bruno and Ray Quint.

Here are the top 10 estimates for the weekend of Aug. 8-10 at the domestic box office:

Title, Weeks in Release/Theater Count, Studio, Friday Total, Percentage Change, Cume

1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, 1/3,845, Paramount, $65 million.

2. Guardians of the Galaxy, 2/4,080, Disney/Marvel, $41.5 million, -56%, $175.9 million.

3. Into the Storm, 1/3,434, Warner Bros./New Line, $18 million.

4. The Hundred-Foot Journey, 1/2,023, Disney/DreamWorks, $11.1 million.

5. Lucy, 3/3,147, Universal/EuropaCorp, $9.3 million, -49%, $97.4 million.

6. Step Up All In, 1/2,072, Lionsgate/Summit, $6.6 million.

7. Hercules, 3/2,896, Paramount/MGM, $5.7million, -48%, $63.5 million.

8. Get On Up, 2/2,469, Universal, $5 million, -63%, $22.9 million.

9. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, 5/2,306, Fox, $4.4 million, -49%, $197.8 million.

10. Planes: Fire & Rescue, 4/2,280, Disney, $2.4 million, -60%, $53 million.

Twitter: @PamelaDayM
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I have never been able to get into the TMNT. The original comic (and Saturday morning series) came out after I had left home and moved overseas. The first I ever even heard of TMNT was a mention of the first movie in a film magazine in Taiwan. So I've never had the sentimental attachment that a lot of the mainly below-40(?) crowd seems to have for them.

I will say that the trailers make this new movie look about 100x better than those other TMNT movies.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-11-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Truth be told, I've never been a fan of TMNT either

But like so much in the martial world, I recognize their impact on pop culture.

Meanwhile, given the box office smash, the sequel to this reboot is a given. It's already slated for June 3, 2016.

'Ninja Turtles 2' in the Works
    9:35 AM PDT 8/10/2014 by Borys Kit

Paramount announces the sequel after the movie overperforms and grosses $65 million at the box office
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - H 2014

Paramount is saying "Cowabunga, dude," announcing a sequel to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles after the movie’s surprising overperformance at the weekend’s box office.

The movie is on track to earn $65 million in its opening weekend and $97.3 million worldwide.

Screenwriters Josh Appelbaum and Andre Nemec, who wrote Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol, will again brandish nunchuks to write the sequel and will also executive produce.

Michael Bay and his Platinum Dunes partners Andrew Form and Brad Fuller will again produce along with Galen Walker and Scott Mednick. It is unclear at this stage whether director Jonathan Liebesman will return to helm the new picture.

Paramount has also staked out a release date for the sequel: June 3, 2016. (So far, Sony’s comedy The Sausage Party is on the date.)

"Launching a new take on the Turtles into the feature film world was a daunting task because as fans of them ourselves, we felt a great responsibility to ensure audiences were going to experience everything they loved about the Turtles, while also getting to see them brought to life in a way they had never been seen before,” said president of Paramount’s film group, Adam Goodman, in announcing the sequel to TMNT, which was made with sister Viacom arm Nickelodeon Movies. "The result exceeded our high expectations and the response to the film is beyond great, making it all the more fun to get started on the continuation of their story."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Took my girls and nephew to see it on Sunday.
    They loved it and I liked it.
    Shredder was a little too "transformers" for me, but hey, its Michael Bay right? LOL !

the turtles looked like juiced up steroid ninjas, especially Raphael, but they all fought well.

Megan looked good as always.

The fighting was good, SFX were great, dialogue was cute and good enough.

Splinter was the best version so far, nice kick ass fighting.

All in all, good family fun.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

TMNT as Kappa

This so works for me. I'm a huge fan of the Yokai world.

www.legendoftheyokai.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

1.8 million ninja turtles

Hopefully we can sling some ninja gear this Halloween and pay the bills for this here forum.

Disney’s Frozen Characters, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Top Children’s Costume List
    For immediate release
    September 30, 2014
    Kathy Grannis (202) 783-7971
    press@nrf.com (855) NRF-Press

Unsurprisingly, Disney’s Frozen Characters, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Top Children’s Costume List This Halloween

WASHINGTON, September 26, 2014 – Having taken the world by storm this year, Disney’s Frozen and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle characters will again come to life this Halloween. According to NRF’s 2014 Halloween Consumer Top Costumes Survey conducted by Prosper Insights & Analytics, an estimated 2.6 million children plan to dress up as one of Disney’s Frozen characters, while about 1.8 million children will dress as one of the re-imagined classic characters from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Princess (3.4 million), animal (3 million), and Spider-Man (2.6 million) will be other popular choices for children.

“Children and adults love to celebrate this fall holiday in all sorts of ways, and it’s clear dressing in costume will be a top priority for millions of people this year,” said NRF President and CEO Matthew Shay. “Given the popular holiday falls on a Friday this year, retailers can expect increased web and in-store traffic in the weekdays leading up to the big night, meaning consumers will need to keep their eye on specific must-have items as they are likely to go fast.”

The survey also found 75 million adults will dress in costume, and most will stick to traditional options, including a witch (4.8 million), animal (2.6 million), Batman character (2 million), and pirate (1.8 million)

Findings revealed that among the 14.3 percent of celebrants planning to outfit their pets, 10.8 percent will dress their furry friends as a pumpkin, the top costume again this year. Fido and fluffy will also be found disguised as hot dogs, devils, bumble bees, and cats.

Americans are expected to spend $2.8 billion on Halloween costumes according to NRF’s Halloween Consumer Spending Survey. Specifically, consumers will spend $1 billion on children’s costumes, $1.4 billion on adult costumes, and $350 million on pet costumes. Total Halloween spending is estimated to reach $7.4 billion this year, with the average person spending $77.52 on indoor and outdoor décor, costumes, and candy.

“It’s clear people love to get creative with costumes, looking for inspiration from pop-culture and politics to history, and even the make-believe and fantasy world,” said Prosper Insights Principal Analyst Pam Goodfellow. “We’re surprised each year with the range of different costumes, and I’m sure this Halloween will be no exception, especially given the historic number of people planning to buy costumes for themselves, their children and even their pets.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sexy Nacho Turtle Ninjettes?

I'm in.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Prc bo

The BRD/DVD combo pack will drop in the U.S. on Dec 16. Now why might you imagine I know that?

Ninja Turtles reboot tops China box office

By Kevin Ma
    Tue, 04 November 2014, 11:00 AM (HKT)
    Box Office News

The reboot of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles scored a huge opening at the top of the China box office.

Representing approximately 35.7% of all screenings nationwide, the fantasy film made RMB162 million (US$26.5 million) from over 4 million admissions over three days. Produced from 1986 to 1996, the original animated series was aired on Chinese television and is popular amongst those born in the 1980s.

Sci-fi thriller The Maze Runner was in second place, earning RMB56.8 million (US$9.28 million) from approximately 1.41 million admissions. After six days, the live-action adaptation of the young adult novel has made RMB83.7 million (US$13.7 million). It accounted for approximately 15.3% of all screenings over the weekend.

Teddy CHEN 陳德森's Kung Fu Jungle 一個人的武林 opened in fourth place, earning RMB47.8 million (US$7.82 million) from approximately 1.32 million admissions. The martial arts mystery, representing approximately 19.2% of all screenings over the weekend, was released only in 3-D in Mainland China.

Last year, Special ID 特殊身份 — also headlined by Donnie YEN 甄子丹 — opened with RMB68.0 million (US$11.1 million) over three days. It made a total of RMB155 million (US$25.3 million) during its theatrical run.

Two local horror films also opened in the top ten: The Haunted Cinema 恐怖電影院 made RMB8.45 million (US$1.38 million) over four days, and Lonely Island 孤島 made only RMB2.14 million (US$350,000) over three days.

Lucy dropped to third place in its second weekend, earning RMB53.1 million (US$8.68 million) between Friday and Sunday. The Luc BESSON film has made RMB227.2 million (US$37.1 million) after 10 days in cinemas.

Earning RMB1.15 billion (US$188 million) after 34 days in cinemas, Breakup Buddies 心花路放 has surpassed Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) to become the fifth highest grossing film in China.

In Taiwan, Gone Girl was the top film for the third consecutive weekend, earning NT$8.19 million (US$269,000) between Friday and Sunday in Taipei. After four weekends, the David FINCHER film has made NT$62.5 million (US$2.05 million) in the capital.

Opening in second place, John Wick was the top new film. From 19 Taipei cinemas, the action film made NT$7.82 million (US$256,000) over three days. Last December, 47 Ronin — also starring Keanu REEVES — made NT$17.5 million (US$576,000) in Taipei over six days. It made NT$34 million (US$1.11 million) in the capital.

Kung Fu Jungle opened in fourth place, earning NT$2.87 million (US$94,100) from 17 cinemas in Taipei over three days. Last year, Special ID opened with NT$1.67 million (US$54,800) in Taipei. It made a total of NT$3.06 million (US$100,000) in the capital during its theatrical run.

Woody ALLEN's Magic in the Moonlight opened in seventh place, earning NT$1.11 million (US$36,400) from 14 cinemas in Taipei. The opening is on par with the director's Blue Jasmine, which opened with NT$1.17 million (US$38,400) last December for a total of NT$7.55 million (US$248,000) in Taipei.

From just five screens in Taipei, All-Round Appraiser Q: The Eyes of Mona Lisa 万能鑑定士Q モナ・リザの瞳 made NT$239,000 (US$7,830) in three days. Joe CHIEN 錢人豪's Zombie Fight Club 屍城 活屍競技場 made NT$177,000 (US$5,810) from four screens in Taipei.

In Hong Kong, Kung Fu Jungle became the first Hong Kong film to top the box office in over two months. From 38 locations, it made HK$4.31 million (US$557,000) over four days. Last October, Special ID opened with HK$3.06 million (US$394,000) from 35 locations. It made a total of HK$8.1 million (US$1.04 million) during its theatrical run.

The last Hong Kong film to top the weekend box office in Hong Kong was Edko Films Ltd 安樂影片有限公司's Temporary Family 失戀急讓 in late mid-August. Jungle is only the 7th Hong Kong film to open at number one this year.

In second place, Fury remained the top foreign film. Earning HK$3.92 million (US$425,000) between Thursday and Sunday, the David AYER film has made HK$12.0 million (US$1.55 million) after two weekends.

John Wick opened in third place, earning HK$2.38 million (US$308,000) from 32 locations over four days.

From just seven screens, James HUNG 孔令政's The Seventh Lie 第七謊言 made US$246,000 (HK$31,800) over four days.

Golden Scene Co Ltd 高先電影有限公司's indie drama Dot 2 Dot 點對點 made HK$228,000 (US$29,400) from 10 screens over four days. Including early previews, the Amos WHY 黃浩然 film has earned HK$261,000 (US$33,700).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Free Pizza!

As a promotion for the DVD/BRD, they've launched the Turtles Pizza Van.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Finally saw it at the dollar theater. I was fun, but I still hate the design decisions. The Turtles work better for me as smaller, more lithe ninjas... instead of huge hulking bulletproof beasts. And I think the choice to do them that way was rooted entirely in the direction they took the Foot Clan. Instead of making the Foot a clan of outlaw ninjas, they made them your run of the mill terrorist organization. They could have been the generic para-military stand-ins for the League of Assassins in The Dark Knight Rises(as opposed to the full fledged ninja clan LOA of Batman Begins), or any number of stereotypical terrorists. Complete with Arab keffiya scarves! Which is complete nonsense for a Japanese criminal ninja clan, especially and most blatantly on Karai. So, instead of martial artists with traditional bladed weapons, you had a bunch of assault rifle wielding terrorists dubbed "the Foot Clan" which necessitated monstrous turtles whose shells were basically kevlar vests. And as a result, we also got Robo-Shredder.

And I think you can tell the shift from Eric Sacks as the Shredder to nameless Japanese Shredder was pretty late in the game. Oroku Saki went unnamed, and got zero character development or really any meaningful screen time. He was a boss fight, nothing more.

I was entertained, but I just do not like those particular choices. I think it would work better as a full blown ninja movie and less of a sci-fi action/adventure. I would have saved the more sci-fi/sci-fantasy elements for a sequel using Utroms/Krang in revealed the source of the mutagen.