Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: T M N T

beowulf

my pic would be beowulf for the oscars the animation is simply stunning.

Hbd tmnt

A quarter century already? Man, that makes me feel OLD....
    April 20, 2009, 3:24 pm
    Heroes in a Half Shell Turn the Big 2-5
    By Jennifer 8. Lee
    Original Teenage Mutant Ninja TurtlesMirage Studios The original volume of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, released 25 years ago, was a self-published black-and-white comic by Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman, two struggling artists.

If you invented a martial arts-practicing pizza-loving reptilian crime fighter, where else would they live aside from subterranean New York City?

“We’d always heard the legends of the alligators in the sewer systems in New York City,” said Peter Laird, who dreamed up the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 25 years ago with Kevin Eastman when they were struggling artists living in Dover, N.H. “The sewer system is big enough and vast enough to hide alligators. It could certainly hide turtles.”

And the New York City sewer certainly could be a fertile place for radioactive ooze. (Do you really trust university labs to properly dispose of their waste?).

So it is not unfathomable that four little turtles could be dropped by a little boy into a sewer and get soaked in the mysterious ooze. Perhaps the conceptual jump is that the turtles adopt names of Renaissance artists (Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo and Donatello), speak English, walk upright, eat pizza, adopt surfer attitudes and study martial arts under the tutelage of a giant rat.

But to two aspiring comic book creators in 1984, it seemed reasonable. Mr. Laird, then 33, and Mr. Eastman, then 26, had an admittedly offbeat way of looking at the world. “The whole concept sprang out of the strange sense of humor that I shared with the co-creator,” Mr. Laird said.

He observed that the rest of the world might look at the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and react to them as “four really mostly unconnected words” but “for us, it just seemed to flow naturally.”

As Mr. Eastman, who has since sold his share of the property to Mr. Laird, described in an 1988 interview: ”We were sitting around the living room. We’d watched a number of bad TV shows — ‘T. J. Hooker,’ ‘The A-Team’ and ‘Love Connection.’ We got real punchy, and for some reason I did a sketch of a turtle with a mask. Pete did one, and another. Then I said, ‘Wait! Wait!’ and drew four turtles, each with a different weapon. I said, ‘Why not call them Ninja Turtles?’ Pete said: ‘Why not Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?’”

Their ambitions were fairly limited at the time. “We were looking to do comic books successfully enough that we did not have to work at Pizza Hut,” Mr. Laird said. The two had formed a company called Mirage Studios. “The name referred to the fact we didn’t really have a studio,” Mr. Laird said. They were working out of their living room.

Their original comic was a self-published black and white volume that quickly sold out across the country, spurred in part by a United Press International story. An agent heard about the turtles and approached them about licensing the turtles for toys and then sold the idea to Playmates Toys, a large doll manufacturing company, which was looking to get into boys’ action figures. “They had this great line: ‘Fresh from the sewers,’” Mr. Laird said.

The toys really took off after Playmate created a cartoon series to promote the series — a common technique to market toys. Group W Broadcasting commissioned a five-part animated Turtles mini-series, because that as much as the budget allowed. The five episodes were a success in syndication and Group W went on to sign a 65-episode run of new Turtles cartoons, which became a hit.

“It touched a nerve and took off like a shot,” Mr. Laird said. “It’s bit on this wild ride we’ve been on for the last 25 years — nothing I ever anticipated.”

The turtles went on to generate two separate cartoon series runs (the second which is ending this season), three live-action movies, best-selling toys, and video games. Mr. Baird and Mr. Eastman only penned 30 comics themselves, before passing it to other artist in their studios.

This week, the turtles are celebrating their 25th anniversary in New York City with a public “galabunga” (a play on the turtles’ “cowabunga” cry). The Empire State Building is being lit up green Thursday, and this Thursday, the Tribeca Film Festival is featuring the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film, which despite mixed reviews went on to be the highest grossing independent film up until then.

That film was also inspired by New York City infrastructure. In order to design the underground sets for the first film, the film staff tried to gain access to a city sewer, but failed. Instead they were given access to a long-abandoned, Brooklyn subway system - originally built for steam trains - whose structural principle was the same as the sewer system. In addition, they were able to explore a water tunnel which had huge water pipes that were used to pump water into the Central Park Reservoir.

After New York, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are going on a national tour. Details are on the official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Web site (which has got to be one of the garish official Web sites out there. Yes there is a turtle theme, but still: yellow text on green background?). The company has set up a separate 25th anniversary site.

* Philadelphia (April 30-May 2)
    * Detroit (May 4-6)
    * Chicago (May 21-25)
    * St. Louis (June 4-6)
    * Dallas (June 11-13)
    * Denver (June 18-20)
    * Phoenix (June 25-27)
    * Las Vegas (July 9-11)
    * Los Angeles (July 16-18)
    * San Diego (July 22-25)

Looking back, the cartoons actually had a very different timbre than the original books, Mr. Laird said. The original books were adventure stories with humor. The first cartoons had reverse balance.

But the spiritual home of the turtles is still in New York City. “The setting them in New York City part was a no-brainer,” Mr. Laird said. The superheroes they read growing up lived in New York (or a facsimile of it).

Neither of them had really spent that much time in New York at that point. Mr. Laird had visited only a few times, including once as a child. “The New York that you see in our comics is really an imaginary New York — it’s a perceived New York,” he said. “The turtles were created in a small town in New Hampshire.”

New York City played another indirect role in the creation of the ninja turtles. When he was in college in the mid-1970s, Mr. Laird decided he wanted to be a comic book artist. “I packed up a portfolio and went on a bus and located the Marvel Comics office,” he said. He walked into the Marvel offices and asked to show his portfolio to someone.

“I didn’t realize I had to make an appointment,” Mr. Laird said. “I was completely naďve.”

He was politely turned away. “I was very dejected.”

He had three hours to kill before his bus left. He wandered to Times Square, which was much more seedy back then, and he found a theater playing two martial arts movies.

“I remember, ‘Chinese Hercules’ and ‘The Way of the Dragon,’” he said.

“Chinese Hercules” was mediocre, he remembered. “But, he added, Bruce Lee just blew me away.” The actor’s athleticism and charisma just jumped off the screen.

“I became a huge Bruce Lee fan after that,” he said. “It probably had a lot to do with inspiring the turtles.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

nice dude.

back in the day the owners of the series used to have a comic book museum in northampton (where they are from) and it was cool stuff.

cant believe its their bd already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

look at that. even the ninja turtles were inspired by bruce lee.

with how much hate the guy gets from people its simply amazing how you will constantly find out more and more that he influenced.

i LOVED the ninja turtles growing up. I got into them right off the bat with the old laird and eastman comics.

the first one i got was this black and white non cartoony issue:

The ninja turtles are out in the forest, a foot of snow in all directions.. all have katanas. Shredder in full plate samurai armor is up on a hill watching as they are surrounded by the foot clan. as the battle clashes there are limbs and heads flying left and right as the turtles decimate the foot. the snow is painted by the blood of the foot clan. The battle climaxes as one of the foot cuts of one of the turtles hands. splinter grabs it and makes a quick exit to mend his injured turtle.

best turtle action ive ever seen in any format
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I've got some classic Mirage Studios Turtles comics hanging around. The "Back To New York" story was awesome. 4 mutant Shredders versus the Turtles, ending in a major showdown between Leonardo and the real Shredder on a rooftop. Awesomely laid out. The art was at one of its best periods with Laird and Jim Lawson working on the books at the time.

funny. i picked up ninja turtles 1-30 for like 70 bucks on ebay. the 1st issue is like 5th reprint, but the story is all there. from the serious issues to the kiddy issues. they mixed both in. but the one you are talking about lucas, i actually have it. its a good issue and gets continued later on.

the nephew of one of the artists was in an art class of mine one summer. all i remember was the story on how his uncle and friend created it. and his hot sister.

apparently the story went like they. a group of friends were together one night drinking. and they were drawing animals with ninja weapons. and boom ninja turtles were born.
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

thats cool that you have that issue. i havnt read it since i was a kid, but to date i still think its one of the best issues of any comic ive ever read.

maybe because of when i read it, not sure. but even to this day when i think of TMNT i always think of that issue.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

The Empire State Building goes GREEN

I wonder how many light bulbs it takes to turn the Empire State Building green...
    New ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Movie Announced, Empire State Building Goes Green
    Published by Rick Marshall on Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 12:07 pm.

'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'The 25th Anniversary of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles kicked off in a big way this morning, with plans for a new live-action movie announced just before New York City’s “heroes in a half-shell” turned the lights green at the Empire State Building.

Yes, Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello and Raphael will indeed be making another trip to the big screen in 2011. The film, which looks to be a live-action and CGI hybrid, will be produced by Scott Mednick (”300,” “Superman Returns”), Galen Walker (producer of 2007’s CGI film “TMNT”), TMNT co-creator Peter Laird and Mirage Studios president Gary Richardson, among others.

I dropped by this morning’s “green-lighting” event at the Empire State Building, which was attended by a number of TMNT notables, including 1990’s “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” director Steve Barron, and managed to get a few more details about the upcoming movie and anniversary events, as well as some photos of the Turtles and their party van parked outside.

Along with turning the Empire State Building’s lights green for the next 24 hours or so, Laird and Kevin Eastman’s famous creations will also be hosting an outdoor screening of the original live-action “Ninja Turtles” movie in Tribeca Park later tonight. A cross-country tour in the Turtles’ “party van” will then commence, with the four characters making appearances at baseball games and other events as they head westward.

Fans can get an updated schedule of events at the TMNT 25th Anniversary website.

(On a side note, the TMNT van was parked directly in front of popular New York City comic shop Jim Hanley’s Universe — a fact that, according to the event’s organizers, was actually just a pleasant coincidence.)

As for the recently confirmed “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” film, details were scarce but the TMNT notables in attendance all seemed to agree that a blend of live-action and computer-generated effects were likely — confirming much of what Laird told MTV News back in September 2008. The writer and director for the film, as well as whether the film will be a sequel to previous live-action installments or reboot the franchise entirely, are still unknown.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

http://blogs.newamericamedia.org/images/595.jpg

picture of empire state building green.

TMNT on tour

The Turtles have a tour bus museum? Did some one say free pizza?
    Ninja Turtles visit Monroe martial arts academy
    STAFF REPORT • May 4, 2009

MONROE — Students and instructors of Legends ATA martial arts academy were visited by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on April 29 as a return favor for a demonstration the school performed during the Turtles' 25th anniversary celebration at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 23.
    Advertisement

Legends ATA students will be joining the Turtles on a nationwide tour throughout the spring and summer that included a stop on May 2 before a Phillies game at Citizens Park Stadium in Philadelphia.

"Legends ATA martial arts has over its 24 years produced many national and world champions and hosted some of the finest demonstration teams,'' owner Tim Chewning said. "This reputation led to the academy being asked to perform with TMNT for its 25th anniversary tour. Our performance with TMNT led to them adding a tour stop at the academy.''

The event included pictures with Michelangelo, demonstrations, free pizza for all visitors, a tour of the Turtles' bus museum and a promo for the Turtles' upcoming video game. More than 300 participants enjoyed the activities. Legends ATA is located at 365 Spotswood-Englishtown Road in Monroe.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I hope is is Fusco

I've met John - he's a genuine practitioner.
    Writer Revealed for New Live Action TMNT Film?
    TMNT-2011

With all the announcements leading up to this year’s Comic-Con, it would be easy for a smaller story to get lost in the shuffle. Thankfully, we live in the age of the Internet, where nothing escapes the eyes of diligent fanboys such as the writers of Ninja Pizza, a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan-site.

In a recent post, which was picked up by /Film, Ninja Pizza noted that John Fusco (of Young Guns fame) was listed as the screenwriter of the 2011 live-action TMNT film in a recent article for TMNT25.com. Because the article has since been removed (undoubtedly because a proper announcement was not made first), Fusco’s involvement in the film should be seen as speculative. However, it’s about as close to a confirmation as you can get, so let’s start asking ourselves, “What does this mean for TMNT?”

We have previously reported here at Screen Rant that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will likely be a reboot origin story. Does Fusco’s attachment to the project verify that? It’s hard to say. Besides Young Guns, Fusco has written the Viggo Mortensen adventure film Hidalgo, the Val Kilmer thriller Thunderheart, and the Jet Li and Jackie Chan kung-fu film Forbidden Kingdom.

None of these movies in and of themselves say much about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Taken collectively, however, they demonstrate Fusco’s knack for writing action-adventure as well as his interest in martial arts. If a TMNT live-action reboot were to be successful, surely these two elements would have to feature prominently in the script.

What do you think? Is John Fusco the right man to bring the Turtles back to life? Does this news paired with our report of an open casting call for Clan Foot Soldiers get you excited to see a new TMNT film?

A release date for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has not been released, however, the film is scheduled to appear in 2011.
    And they're casting...
    Martial Arts Experts – Open Casting Call Auditions – Martial Artist Wanted for New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Motion Picture
    Date: July 18, 2009
    Starts: 10:00 am
    Ends: 1:00 pm
    Location: Hollywood & Highland - 6801 Hollywood Boulevard Los Angeles, CA 90028
    Description:

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, in association with Mirage Studios, 4Kids Entertainment and TMNT Productions will host an open casting call for martial arts experts to audition for the upcoming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, hitting theatres in 2011. We will select the best from the auditions to be a part of the stealth TMNT nemesis, the Foot Clan.

The casting call is part of the 25th Anniversary Shell-ebration of the “Heroes on a Half Shell” in 2009, and a great way to bring together all schools of martial arts to become part of the new generation of TMNT.

We’re reaching out to ask for your participation in spreading the word to your associates, friends and family within the martial arts community. Details of the event are below, and final rules/regulations will be posted shortly.

When: Saturday, July 18, 2009 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

Where: Hollywood & Highland

6801 Hollywood Boulevard

Los Angeles, CA 90028

*At Grand Staircase

Who: Judges to include actor and martial arts expert Ernie Reyes, Jr., Jason Morgan from the American Taekwondo Association, and 2011 TMNT movie producers Scott Mednick and Galen Walker.

Audition: 30-Second Martial Arts Demo (Single Person Only)

No metal, sharp or bladed weapons of any kind allowed

Photo and updated resume with contact information

Fourteen years or older (under 18 must have adult permission for audition)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

**** i would have went too. too bad i will miss this.

Fusco signed

I think Fusco will do an excellent job. He's a great fan of the martial arts genre and should be able to pen something fitting of the heroes in a half shell.

Check out my interview with John in Behind the Scenes of FORBIDDEN KINGDOM

'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Movie Taps 'Young Guns' & 'The Forbidden Kingdom' Writer
    Posted 28 minutes ago by Rick Marshall in Mirage, News

Teenage Mutant Ninja TurtlesThe upcoming "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" movie finally has a writer -- and it looks like the Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman characters will have no shortage of fight scenes in their next big-screen bow.

According to Variety, "Young Guns" and "The Forbidden Kingdom" scribe John Fusco will pen the screenplay for the new, live-action film based we first brought you news about last year. The article claims that, along with penning several fight-friendly films, Fusco has been "practicing martial arts since he was 12, and continues to study Shaolin kung-fu."

And along with bringing his martial arts savvy to the mix, it appears that Fusco will also be returning to the characters' comic book roots for the film, too.

Variety reports that the new writer will include elements of the comics in the project, which is planned as a complete origin-focused reboot to the property. This confirms much of our previous information from "Turtles" co-creator Laird, who told MTV News that the film was envisioned as "a 'Batman Begins'-style 'reboot,' which would, of necessity, include a retelling of the Turtles' origin story."

"It is always exciting when you can come aboard a project that bridges the worlds of what you do with what you love," said Fusco of the deal.

The "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" movie is currently scheduled for a 2011 release.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So... if Laird is saying Batman Begins-style reboot... does that mean this thing won't be targeted at teh 7-10 year old crowd? Or is that inevitable given the way Eastman and Laird chose to go back in the last 80s up to today?

Their comic was so brutal, I can hardly imagine even half of that stuff making it to screen. Though, I will say that they tried to include alot of the classic comic book elements into the cartoon series of the early 2000s and departed quite drastically from the cartoon of the late 80s-early 90s.