Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kids and uniforms

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Kids and uniforms

starting to have a big problem with kids not showing up with uniforms...we don't have a bunch of fancy stuff...just pants, tshirt and sash.

What do ya'll do? Make the kid sit out of class if they don't have their uniform?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    exactly. Mention it to the parents that they will not be allowed to participate without a uniform. They need to learn responsibility, and martial arts training touches on that as it is a form of discipline. If the monm says she does not have time, tell her to find the time. No ifs ands or buts. You should not be telling an adult that they need to do this ahead of time. Too much hand holding.

btw-if the kid just spilled grape juice or spagetti sauce on the uniform that day and it is in the wash is one thing. But then you give them the "wear the uniform just for Kung-Fu" speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    starting to have a big problem with kids not showing up with uniforms...we don't have a bunch of fancy stuff...just pants, tshirt and sash.

What do ya'll do? Make the kid sit out of class if they don't have their uniform?

I say, why are you wearing that uniform? Aren't you an individual?

World's dumbest ideas number three: people in uniform!
    It's not worth a penny!

Not coming to class in a uniform

For all ages in class...
    Have them hold up the wall or ceiling...

Hold up a wall...
    Horse stance, back to it about 8in from with both hands out in a Q-sou...

Hold up the ceiling...
    Same as above but arms above the head, plams to ceiling...

1st time offenders... 10min and have to go to the end of the line up as if they are a newbe...

2nd time offenders... 30min and have to go to the end of the line up as if they are a newbe...

3rd time offenders... wall or ceiling for the hole class time...

4th same as the 3rd... and so on...

~Jason
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

actually, the idea of a uniform is to get rid of swollen ego and the whole individuality for a moment to help one be conscious of working together towards a goal that is good for all.

thinking about "me" all the time is not conducive to a well functioning community and breeds contempt amongst people for others.

byt wearing uniforms we allow ourselves the opportunity to remove that selfish attitude and learn what it is to be part of community.

If the student does not wish to participate, then by all means don't allow them to participate.

you carry a family name don't you? That is a sign of where you come from and where you fit in and that others fit with you. It is an outward gesture and has nothing to do with taking away from the individual attributes.

Think of it this way:

A mob of people is no more of an army than a pile of building materials is a house.

discipline in outward gestures and adherance to them signifies discipline of body and mind. If a person cannot make such small gestures, then they cannot come to attain personal kungfu which will mark them as a strong individual. It all works together.

recognize.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Well Put... David...

~Jason

TT, all those talks have been given...the biggest problem is that I think it's the parent's fault as much as the kid. I totally agree about the responsibility thing and that is one of the lesson's we are supposed to be teaching for sure. Not so ironically, the parents of the specific children are not so great in the realm of responsibility...I guess I should be charging double to teach the parents responsibility too.

Part of it is image as well. If the floor doesn't look like a cohesive unit to the parents standing outside the front window...

It's time to lay down the law, I know that. Just wondering if anyone had any creative suggestions.

Fen, I do make them go to the back of the line as it is.

WQ: who are you kidding? do you not wear any sort of branded clothing or shoe or car?

Well said, DJ.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Oso...

If you add what David said to the holding the wall they will not for get it... especially if they do it 3 time or more... It works realy well in my class... Good luck and fell free to pm me if need...

Respect to the kwoon and it's staff is a must... If they can not comeply then out they go...

***If not start giveing them new uniform and makeing them pay for it... hehehe...

~Jason

I would write a letter, make sure all students and parends receive it, before laying down the law. This way it is not as if you let it go by and then all of a sudden, "Punished MY CHILD!!!" =get it? This works, as I have done it in my school.

I totally agree it's a must. This is just another transitional thing for my school. We've hovered at 2-4 kids for years and now regularly have 9 lining up and more inquiries than ever before. It's the older kids unfortunately and it's my fault for not being more strict before. And, there is a huge logistical problem for these kids that I won't get in to here...I do know that there is more than just forgetfulness or lack of responsibility at play here. but, irrelevent of that, I've got to get them in line.

thanks all...except you water-quan

build lockers and make'm rent them out to keep thier uniforms in, and make'm by two uniforms so one can be washed while the others at the school.

Or just do what I'd do and beat'em with a stick!
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    actually, the idea of a uniform is to get rid of swollen ego and the whole individuality for a moment to help one be conscious of working together towards a goal that is good for all.

thinking about "me" all the time is not conducive to a well functioning community and breeds contempt amongst people for others.

byt wearing uniforms we allow ourselves the opportunity to remove that selfish attitude and learn what it is to be part of community.
    Yes, ****it, why the hell do we allow people to wear the kind of clothes they want to? We should make everyone wear the same darn thing every day so they learn that they shouldn't be individuals.

Heck, why should we talk about 'personal freedoms'? Just make the government give everybody a job and decide where to live.

That's it ... I finally figured out what it is. You're all communists in disguise.

WHY NOT LET THEM WEAR WHATEVER THEY WANT AS LONG AS THEY GOT PANTS AND SHIRT?

I got news for you, Oso, the reason they probably don't have a uniform is they were too busy to get it with everything else going on.
    Last edited by neilhytholt; 03-19-2007 at 07:08 PM.

TT, already written. It's also in the handbooks. But, a short note is going out.

SHC: not enough room for lockers. Only 2000 sf total. 1600 on the floor and 400 that is combined office, storage, bathroom and shelving for student bags when they are in class...and for the adults to wait for kids and women's classes to be over at 6:30...I'm directing traffic now as 9 kids and 15 adults try to pass each other through one doorway

and, while we're on kids...anyone else have a bunch of f a r t monsters? all my boys seem to f a r t about every 5 minutes during class...today was crazy smelly.

It's pretty sad when people worry more about uniforms and talking about keeping people from learning just because of a uniform.

You know, why do you even bother teaching CMA?

Might as well just teach TKD. They got uniforms, they got forms, they got kickboxing sparring with big puffy gloves.