Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiu Family Hung Gar weightlifting

Post Chiu Family Hung Gar weightlifting

The Chiu brothers are buff fellows and are often pictured with standard gym weights in their training areas. Since they are traditional Hung Gar stylists I wonder what kind of lifting program they use. Does anyone know their routine?

Anyone know?

I too have been curious about this subject, because it is obvious they have enhance their martial arts training with free weight training; however, I gather that the purest will state that it was via "iron thread" training.

It is common knowledge that some sort of weight training has been use throughout the ages in Chinese martial arts, i.e., shuaijiao, etc. Therefore, it will be interesting to see their; for example, Wang, Ziping weight lifting method is available in book format.

ttt.......

I've seen weights in the kwoon of Chan Hong Jung as well (see various documentaries shot in his kwoon). In all cases not too heavy 'pumping' type of weights.

Do you know what kinds of exercises are used?

Fast repetitions and many of them is all I know. The logic behind that seems clear though. But what specific exercises are done I don't know. Hopefully people closer to the source will tell

Quote Originally Posted by Asmo View Post
    Fast repetitions and many of them is all I know. The logic behind that seems clear though.
    As expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmo View Post
    But what specific exercises are done I don't know. Hopefully people closer to the source will tell
    We shall see.

The cat is out of bag; come on spill the beans- what method do they use?

I would assume just a program of primarily high repetitions with low weight just to build definition and endurance.

The rest would be low reps with heavy weight to gain just the size that we're used to seeing them at.

Mix it with their Hung Gar training and you get, "Buff, but not muscle bound". No big mystery. The only thing left for anyone that interested is to find out the EXACT routines.

That's the question; the actual drill, because it defiantly works!

3 reps with light to medium weights.
    No heavy weightlifting.
    South Paw

Southpaw, have you seen the drill?

3 reps? with light weight? surely you mean three sets...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I haven't run across anything specific, but did see this on a hung gar page:

"Later under the second world war Chiu Kao returned to Kwantung to teach young Chinese men how to fight the Japanese invaders with Hung Gar techniques. After the war he returned to Hong Kong and started to work as a tailor and he also reopened his school. He started to combine weight training with Hung Gar and the Chiu family became famous as the Bodybuilding Kung Fu Family."
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter