Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiu Family Hung Gar weightlifting

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
    I would assume just a program of primarily high repetitions with low weight just to build definition and endurance.

The rest would be low reps with heavy weight to gain just the size that we're used to seeing them at.

Mix it with their Hung Gar training and you get, "Buff, but not muscle bound". No big mystery. The only thing left for anyone that interested is to find out the EXACT routines.
    definition can be obtained with heavy weight. Definition or "tone" is nothing more than residual tension in a relaxed muscle. Combine that with low bodyfat and you have a defined individual.

FWIW, you can lift heavy weights and not get big and bulky. It's all in the lifting regimen.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    3 reps? with light weight? surely you mean three sets...
    Even more specfically, how many reps in those three sets? I'm thinking that it should be something like 3 sets of 10 reps at with low weight for definition.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    definition can be obtained with heavy weight. Definition or "tone" is nothing more than residual tension in a relaxed muscle. Combine that with low bodyfat and you have a defined individual.

FWIW, you can lift heavy weights and not get big and bulky. It's all in the lifting regimen.
    What is your definition of heavy and light? Any body bodybuilder will tell you that to get definition you use "light" weight with high reps and "heavy" weight with low reps to get size.

Honestly, they should market this, because both brothers look great for their age.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I think definition is caused by a lack of subcutaneous bodyfat, allowing the muscles to show through the thinner skin. Muscles will react with growth when stimulated and overloaded to the point of hypertrophy-adaptation to the workload. But I could be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
    What is your definition of heavy and light? Any body bodybuilder will tell you that to get definition you use "light" weight with high reps and "heavy" weight with low reps to get size.
    body builders also have the "artificial pump" - lift weight, high rep with light to moderate weight and notice what happens - the muscles worked retain a "pumped" look for at least an hour after the work out. However, that is not really "definition" per se, as the "pump" goes away. anyone can look cut as long as their bodyfat is low enough and they lift weights in some fashion. lifting tends to put the muscles in a constant state of tension, although it is only slight. That is part of the reason why a lot of MA used to (and many still do) preach against weight training.

yes, heavy weights with moderate reps - 5 to 8 - will increase size. however, maximal weights with only 1 - 3 reps does not really pack on size. it is more directly related to pure strength, training the neuromuscular system to contract harder, producing a higher strength output.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Mulong View Post
    Honestly, they should market this, because both brothers look great for their age.
    so does Frank Zane

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Sorry.

3 sets of 10 to 20 reps.

I once asked Sifu.
    They just did normal weightstraining, with some extra for legs, chest and kiu sau.
    South Paw

Coming in late to this discussion but I concur with Southpaw. When I spoke to SiGung Chiu Wai about weight lifting, he said nothing special. Basic exercises for the various body parts. SiGung was Mr. Hong Kong at one time. He was serious into body building but I don't believe he did anything special. Basic weights and Hung Gar.

I noticed the weight set he had in Canada. Very old school. Iron weights painted orange(?) and a basic bench.

While weight lifting is a definite factor to his physique, healthy eating and regimented exercise are big factors to his health. At 70 years old, he lifts less then an hour in the morning. Most of his practice is around Hung Gar and just enjoying life.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by hasayfu View Post
    While weight lifting is a definite factor to his physique, healthy eating and regimented exercise are big factors to his health. At 70 years old, he lifts less then an hour in the morning. Most of his practice is around Hung Gar and just enjoying life.
    That in itself, is an amazing feat, not only for a 70 yr old, but for most people half his age! Try doing weight training every morning as well as other exercise. And at 70...inspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by hasayfu View Post
    Coming in late to this discussion but I concur with Southpaw. When I spoke to SiGung Chiu Wai about weight lifting, he said nothing special. Basic exercises for the various body parts. SiGung was Mr. Hong Kong at one time. He was serious into body building but I don't believe he did anything special. Basic weights and Hung Gar.

I noticed the weight set he had in Canada. Very old school. Iron weights painted orange(?) and a basic bench.

less than an hour is optimal. I lift heavy and my workouts are 45 mins to an hour. it is a misconception that you have to be in the gym for long periods of time.

However, being into bodybuilding and using light weights don't typically go hand in hand... Did he lift heavy when he was younger?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    That in itself, is an amazing feat, not only for a 70 yr old, but for most people half his age! Try doing weight training every morning as well as other exercise. And at 70...inspirational.
    there are a lot of strong old guys out there. a few years ago, I posted in the training forum about a guy I used to workout with. At 67, he was still bench pressing 275.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I'm only commenting on his routine at 70.
    I would guess that he followed conventional body building methods of the 50s and 60s since that was when he was Mr. Hong Kong.

When I asked him generally, he did not stress any special method. He also mentioned using heavy weapons training and things like rings and stone locks as other forms to build strength.

Again, at 70, his focus was not constantly working out but enjoying life. That was the big message I got.

Bless him; a true role model.

Speaking of GM Chiu Wai

Read A Legend's Story by Curtis Kautzman, just posted on our e-zine.

How's that for a 3-year-old ttt?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart