Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Chiu Family Hung Gar weightlifting

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Full squats, press, bench, deadlifts, and pullups are all anyone needs to get huge. The determining factor is going to always be the diet.
    agree

diet is probably one of the major contributors that defines what the out come is.

about 2 years ago I was benching around 340ish... I was going max and was looking for output.

and i will agree on certain parts that it is counter productive to the MA's outlook. I could put up some major numbers in areas, but as for flex. speed, and dexterity, I was lacking and I could see it when sparring.

When I put on the weight and was benching and lifting at a max. I noticed that my overall fighting capability went downhill and wasn't what i had before. Stren. is great and helps but it has to be moderated is what i learned.

I turned my routine around and started going for a more "lean" routine. cut weight, higher reps, cardio. I feel a lot better doing it this way. my body can go longer and harder than before. diet as stated before was the leading contributor.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Yeah, and I get so **** aggravated when I see people who weigh 120lbs walk into the gym and start doing 3 sets of 10 on bench press and dumbbell curls just because they saw it in Flex. Gah.

I've also noticed that a lot of body builders are pretty tight-lipped when it comes to telling newbs about building a base in strength training first. All the good ones did it, but it's almost like they want the rookies to think that if they train from the routine straight out of magazines without actually getting stronger first.

Anyways, it just seemed that with the equipment that was most likely available to Sifu Chiu Wai at the time, that the core lifts were most likely his staple.

However, thanks to Muscle and Fitness, and other crappy magazines, the general public seems to think that you can't look huge, cut, or in-shape unless you do at least 3 sets of 10 on every machine in the gym.

Full squats, press, bench, deadlifts, and pullups are all anyone needs to get huge. The determining factor is going to always be the diet.
    how about someone who weighs 110 soaking wet screaming through a set of tricep pushdowns on his arm day which lasted over an hour (and using wrist wraps to hold on to the bar) saw this last week no lie

people want short cuts, they dont want to work hard they dont want to clean up their diet and they like to believe they are special and thus need a special program

Yeah, it's just sickening sometimes.

One of my favorites is when people say they are "hard-gainers." There is NO SUCH THING! Seriously! The only thing they MIGHT be is an undisciplined eater.

If you really want to put weight on, it isn't that hard. You increase your calories until you can't burn them off. It's that simple. Drink your GOMAD for a couple months and then tell me you're a "hard-gainer."

Sorry for the rant... Just frustrates the hell out of me.

Btw, if anyone here thinks they're a "hard-gainer", try visiting http://www.70sbig.com

One of the problems as well in context to diet and nutrtion is that people need to stop thinking that they only eat calories.

You drink a lot of them too. Especially the soda.
    Nevermind alcohol.

I do notice that there is not a lot of attention paid to how calories are consumed by drinking too.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

With such basic equipment, it seems like compound lifts would be the emphasis.

Full squats, deadlifts, bench press, and press will always be king. They're the best for you and require no specialized equipment, really.

I've always wondered why people thought you had to have a bodybuilding routine in order to get huge... Those routines are tailor made for each individual AFTER having reached their genetic potential. In most cases, to help push themselves beyond their genetic potential with the aid of anabolics.

In my opinion, Sifu Chiu Wai looks like someone who could have easily done nothing other than basic compound lifts, his kung fu training, and just practiced a healthy lifestyle.
    the issue with bodybuilding isn't getting huge. The issue with bodybuilding is that such exercises isolate muscles. Also, getting bigger is typically a more bodybuilding mentality. Of course you can do O lifts and get big.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    the issue with bodybuilding isn't getting huge. The issue with bodybuilding is that such exercises isolate muscles. Also, getting bigger is typically a more bodybuilding mentality. Of course you can do O lifts and get big.
    isolated movements can be an advantage in som aspects of fighting: curls to aid the defence on an arm bar, hamstring curls/GHR to aid in getting a strong position on the ground, pinning the head and body to the ground when armbaring from the mount etc

sevenstar is right on.
    low body fat is what shows "definition". you can and shhould use heavy weight(heavy to you) and low reps. higher reps gives you the "pump" and will volumize your muscle and sure build some endurence but you do not get good permanant muscle gain doing this. i have been incorporating weight training for years. we will be covering more indepth on another video soon. covering weight training and nutrition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Nm7GFjS2E

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    isolated movements can be an advantage in som aspects of fighting: curls to aid the defence on an arm bar, hamstring curls/GHR to aid in getting a strong position on the ground, pinning the head and body to the ground when armbaring from the mount etc

eh....sounds plausible, but you are reaching on that one. doing curls to defend an arm bar is no different than a cma guy doing iron palm - it isn't really necessary, and is time that would be well spent doing something else, in regards to fight prep.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

eh....sounds plausible, but you are reaching on that one. doing curls to defend an arm bar is no different than a cma guy doing iron palm - it isn't really necessary, and is time that would be well spent doing something else, in regards to fight prep.
    i thought that too, until i got curled out of an arm bar by a very good fighter and body builder...watching someone 80kg curl a 100kg guy off the ground sort of makes you re evaluate your position on things

so now curls are part of your regimen?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Yeah, and I get so **** aggravated when I see people who weigh 120lbs walk into the gym and start doing 3 sets of 10 on bench press and dumbbell curls just because they saw it in Flex. Gah.

I've also noticed that a lot of body builders are pretty tight-lipped when it comes to telling newbs about building a base in strength training first. All the good ones did it, but it's almost like they want the rookies to think that if they train from the routine straight out of magazines without actually getting stronger first.

Anyways, it just seemed that with the equipment that was most likely available to Sifu Chiu Wai at the time, that the core lifts were most likely his staple.

However, thanks to Muscle and Fitness, and other crappy magazines, the general public seems to think that you can't look huge, cut, or in-shape unless you do at least 3 sets of 10 on every machine in the gym.

eh...bodybuilding isn't totally usesless - it just isn't what you are going for in what you do. I grew up in a bodybuilding world, and was one of the guys reading flex all the time. dorian yates (even though I knew he was a roid head), kevin levrone, lee haney and others were all people I looked up to. From ages 13 until about 21, those sorts of workouts were all I did, and and I was one of the strongest players on the football team, with a 420lb squat at age 17, and 180lbs. Those magazines have their niche, no different from say the crossfit groups. crossfit doesn't promote bodybuilding, because that's not what they do. bodybuilding doesn't promote powerlifting, because that is a different sport. Powerlifters aren't promoting isometrics - it isn't what they do.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

so now curls are part of your regimen?
    sometimes, it made me reevaluate there worth thats for sure

eh...bodybuilding isn't totally usesless - it just isn't what you are going for in what you do. I grew up in a bodybuilding world, and was one of the guys reading flex all the time. dorian yates (even though I knew he was a roid head), kevin levrone, lee haney and others were all people I looked up to. From ages 13 until about 21, those sorts of workouts were all I did, and and I was one of the strongest players on the football team, with a 420lb squat at age 17, and 180lbs. Those magazines have their niche, no different from say the crossfit groups. crossfit doesn't promote bodybuilding, because that's not what they do. bodybuilding doesn't promote powerlifting, because that is a different sport. Powerlifters aren't promoting isometrics - it isn't what they do.
    I didn't say it was useless.

The point I was making is that because of those magazines, and just plain laziness, the general public seems to think it is the only way that you can workout and achieve results.

This obviously isn't true.

If someone actually takes the time to research, diet, plan, and dedicate themselves to their training, I don't care if they're doing ballet(which is probably harder than anything i'll ever even consider doing). There's a big difference between that and going to the gym with neoprene shorts, weightlifting gloves, and a headband on to start your bodybuilding routine of 4x12 dumbbell flyes just because you saw Arnold doing it in a magazine.

Also, kids don't count in this, obviously.

By their very definition, they don't have a ****ing clue about anything most of the time.

Sorry nothing productive to add atm, but

"started to work as a tailor and he also reopened his school"

KUNG FU HUSTLE just slams into my mind hehehe :P
    Supporter: The Australasian Martial Arts & Self Defence Forums - http://www.OzMAForums.com