Thread: executioners from shaolin (Shaw Brothers Collection)

executioners from shaolin (Shaw Brothers Collection)

just ordered executioners from shaolin and was wondering if anyone out there has seen the movie and what they think, as i've been spending my money on Kung Fu flicks and have read the reviews on E.F.S and they have been good reviews.
    Doug Maverick on jet li and his final movie.

jet li: i don't want to do martial arts films no more i want to do regular acting!

producers: B!tch you can't act you better stick to kicking and punching thas what you do.

jet li: but i'm tired of it and my knees hurt!

producer(pulls out contract): well this here says we got five more film out your ass, and trust me there not going to be no romance comedy with, jennifer aniston. hey don't you wushu guys have a saying "eat bitter"

It is AWSOME!. The love story between Chen Kuan Tai and Lily Li is probably my favorite part abotu the movie. Kung fu in the bedroom! The fights are great, and even the final fight turned out a lot better than I expected. I didn't really like Wong Yue playing the child character in this, but that is my only complaint. Be sure to check out Fists of the Whiite Lotus also. It is a remake/redo starring Gordon Liu and KAra Hui and is an even better movie.
    Last edited by jethro; 03-27-2007 at 02:05 PM.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Lo Lieh is great as Bak Mei.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    Lo Lieh is great as Bak Mei.
    Very true. He actually directed fists of the White Lotus and I liked his performance even better in that movie. I think somebody had Pai Mei as their avatar at one time
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

Executioner from Shaolin has always been one of my favorite KF movies. IMO, it's actually a better movie then Fists of the White Lotus, though the latter had more sophisticated fight scenes.

Lau Kar-Leung was always able to martial art-direct the best performances out of Lo Lieh.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    Very true. He actually directed fists of the White Lotus and I liked his performance even better in that movie.
    I think he did a good job with the directing too. I always found one thing unclear about the sequel. Is Chief White Lotus the same person as Bak Mei or are they two different people. Internet sources claim that it's a different person. They say that the defeat we see is his death. I don't buy that because the characters fight the same and have the same personality, looks, and mannerisms. For me to believe that Chief White Lotus and Bak Mei are not one and the same, I need some solid evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    I think somebody had Pai Mei as their avatar at one time
    And what a nice avatar it was.
    How do you like my current one?

In the English-dubbed version of Fists of the White Lotus (the sequel), he says Pai Mei was his brother.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Yeah, like MK said, he's his brother, but he is playin the same exact chacacter.

At the start of Fist of White Lotus, Pai Mei dies.
    Last edited by jethro; 03-30-2007 at 11:58 PM.

I don't remember him saying he was his brother.

At the start of the movie it explains this briefly.

Do you have English dub or original language?
    Last edited by jethro; 04-06-2007 at 06:34 PM.

Just caught this again on El Rey Network

It was great to see it again. I had forgotten what an exemplary Shaw Bros flick this is. It's such a freaking hilarious film - the bridal chamber stuff and Pai Mei's killing move is over the top. And Chen Kuan-tai's fight up the temple staircase is fantastic. Such Kung Fu!

I'm starting to get into El Rey. Flying Five Finger One Armed Eight Pole Shaolin Exploding Death Touch Thursdays ROCK!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

One of my all time old school favorites.
    Love the opening fight between Pai Mai and Jin Shin ( or however you spell it) in the "red room".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !