Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ??? about Patriotism in the U.S.A

??? about Patriotism in the U.S.A

okay this is a slightly random topic but since 'lock bumping' came up i thought i might get away with this, if im out of line please tell me

basically im a classics student in the UK and im currently looking at how romanization of ancient europe is VERY similar to americanization of the modern western world. for example a simple thing like jeans, we wear them in Britain now, but they are in fact an american thing if i was truly 'british'(whatever that is) id be wearing trousers

I was just wondering if any of you chaps and chapesses from the USA find your martial arts philosophy and values conflict with your american philosophy and values. for example i find the idea of young children swearing themselves to the American flag every day absolutely absurd! isnt that just brainwashing. and issues like the death penalty, foreign policy and so on, I find these values clash strongly with my martial arts ethic but i wanted to see what the American view on this was if ts at all different.

Please not this is not a dig at america its simply a comparison of values

thanks
    self discipline is the key element of self respect, and self respect is the key element of courage

ill just pick one aspect.

the death sentence. I dont see how being involved in martial arts would empede our desire for a death sentence for those deserving.

The death sentence has been around long before structured martial arts, every great general who had fought and bled in old melee wars has had to give a death sentence at least once.

if anything i could see that praticing martial arts, striving for virtue, and protecting the weak would help a man walk a path that could help him more clearly see who is truly deserving of death.

some dogs must be put down to keep from infecting the rest of the pack with rabies.

no offense at all taken and i mean none.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

wouldn't know
    im a brit just sayin hi

rule brittania, long live the queen, cups of tea and the full english an all that :P
    hahahahahhahhahah lmfao
    nt rle

toodle pip :P
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

u should find this thread interesting

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=45502

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    u should find this thread interesting

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=45502
    hehehe

i smell a possible merger?...
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

lock bumping has to do with self protection. Its a martial art forum

Quote Originally Posted by shortlee View Post
    I was just wondering if any of you chaps and chapesses from the USA find your martial arts philosophy and values conflict with your american philosophy and values.
    "Our American philosophy"? And that is...??? You seem to know, so please define what it is.

Before you answer that, Keep in mind that the US is a country where the ability to think freely and express oneself is a highly regarded value. Not like many, many other countries where such things as simple as a cartoon in a newspaper or magazine can get death warrant issued for the artist.

for example i find the idea of young children swearing themselves to the American flag every day absolutely absurd! isnt that just brainwashing.
    Showing patriotism and loyalty is brainwashing? Yeah, right pal...This isn't North Korea you're talking about. I'd want my children to say the pledge of allegiance at school every day as a reminder that they live in a free country and should be thankful for that, as well as loyal to it.

and issues like the death penalty, foreign policy and so on, I find these values clash strongly with my martial arts ethic but i wanted to see what the American view on this was if ts at all different.
    Death penalty conflicting with martial arts ethic? What kind of dumb pills are you taking? Foreign policy? American views on martial ethics and these topics? Dude, shut up. Train. Leave your pansy political views out of it. Martial arts are for warriors, not creampuffs.

now im curious what regular forum user created a new user account to rant at this guy.

has to be a reg as its this dudes first post, hmm screen name specialed. LOL

dude this is funny stuff.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    now im curious what regular forum user created a new user account to rant at this guy.

has to be a reg as its this dudes first post, hmm screen name specialed. LOL

dude this is funny stuff.
    cough...black jack cough cough ...rogue cough

cough...black jack cough cough ...rogue cough

Golden A$$hat is a prime example of why the UK is rapidly becoming a country of pushovers.

I think this is one of the most ridiculous threads I've come across here.

OHHH KAYYYBEEE LETS FEED THE TROLL.....

for example i find the idea of young children swearing themselves to the American flag every day absolutely absurd! isnt that just brainwashing
    Old Glory is much more than a piece of cloth that represents a certain part of the earth. It's a symbol of what a country is all about, what its people are about, there believe in unity, what they will protect and die for. The Pledge of Allegiance is a treasure chest of information if one takes the time to examine the words that capture an ideal of who we are.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    I think this is one of the most ridiculous threads I've come across here.
    lmao, the good stuff always comes out during the end of my workday

~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Quote Originally Posted by specialed View Post
    Golden A$$hat is a prime example of why the UK is rapidly becoming a country of pushovers.
    wow its almost as if you did something intelligent and witty with my name to mock me

but you didnt
    and it ddnt work
    and if had only just registered how would you know straight away from ur 3rd post who rogue or black jack was ?? or why would you care ??

its blatantly obvious what you did

and if had only just registered how would you know straight away from ur 3rd post who rogue or black jack was ?? or why would you care ??

its blatantly obvious what you did

You are wrong. My join date is well over a month ago. I am neither of the two people you list. I simply chose not to get involved until I read the pathetic initial post of this thread.